Tip: key-switching in ST2 (or any other multi-timbral VSTi)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've mentioned this in a couple of other threads but I thought it might be a good idea to start a specific thread about it as it's a very useful app. It's a freeware utility called KeySwitch which can be downloaded from www.yellowtools.com .

It can switch its midi output channel using note-on triggers which means you can load a multi in ST2 (or any other multi-timbral plugin) with different patches set to receive on different midi channels and switch between these patches on the fly by hitting the corresponding trigger keys (these would obviously have to be outside the playable range of the instruments). KeySwitch can also be used to play one instrument and either fade another one in or cross-fade between the two using the mod wheel.

Note that you'll need some way to get the midi data through KeySwitch and to your sequencer. I'm using Midi Yoke from www.midiox.com and it works like a charm. I've tried KeySwitch with AMG's Kick-Ass Brass VSTi and also with ST2 and it works just fine, though it does mean having to load an extra app running along side your sequencer.

Sadly, KeySwitch is Windows only. I believe there are solutions for Mac but they're a bit more complicated.

/Yoss

sounds interesting but the download link has errors

error 404: Datei nicht gefunden!

(edit the link came thru even after an error page)

topaz wrote:sounds interesting but the download link has errors

error 404: Datei nicht gefunden!

(edit the link came thru even after an error page)
That's too bad. :(

Hope it's just a temporary thing.

Edit: OK, cool! :)

/Yoss

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure you could do something like this with energyXT and some MIDI plugins, as well.

Return to “Instruments”