Audio Damage has released Kombinat Tri, a complete top-to-bottom rebuild of the Kombinat series.
With 13 different options in each of the three distortion engines (plus pass-through), Kombinat Tri is capable of sophisticated and unique sounds. Want to add a ring mod to the low end, a mild tube clip to the mids, and a bit-reduction algorithm to the high end? No problem. Want to run your signal through three sine-warps or fuzz algorithms in series? This is your box.
Kombinat's signal structure allows for a fairly broad palette of sounds, as each segment of the overall effect is a versatile tool in its own right. On the front end is a full "DJ-style" band-killer EQ; this leads to the three distortion engines, which may be used in multi-band mode for subtle surgery, or in series mode for complete signal destruction. The engines lead to a multi-mode filter with 12 different topologies, and then on to a compressor which we have configured for one-control operation.
Taken as a whole, Kombinat is a tweaker's paradise, yet designed so that it is easy to just grab one of the presets and touch it up a bit to suit the source material.
- Crossover: Kombinat Tri features a DJ-style three-band isolator EQ for band-killing effects and extreme tone-carving on the front end. This leads to the three distortion engines, which can be run in crossover (multi) mode, or in series.
- Multiple Distortion Types: Kombinat Tri has 13 different distortion and tone-shaping algorithms, and you can mix-and-match, with each of the three bands getting its own selector. From subtle tube-style clipping to the bizarre distorto-delay of the Nerd Rage algorithm, Kombinat Tri can cover all the bases without unnecessary complexity.
- Feedback: If the algorithms weren't enough, Kombinat Tri has an internal feedback control, tied to an envelope follower. Results may vary, but are always hairy.
- Filter: Kombinat Tri has 12 different filter topologies, from subtle 2-pole lowpass, through synth-style filters, to surgical notch. Several are self-resonant.
- One-Kontrol Kompressor: A favorite feature of the original Kombinat and Kombinat Dva, the one-knob compressor, tuned for collapsing distorted signals to roadkill, remains in Kombinat Tri.
- Mix Control: Kombinat Tri adds an oft-requested feature: a mix knob for better control over the signal path.
- Presets: Kombinat Tri includes a selection of presets from Kombinat and Kombinat Dva, some all-new presets to take advantage of the new features, and a selection of Designer presets from Ken Flux Pierce and Don Gunn.
Price: $49 ($10 upgrade for owners of Kombinat or Kombinat Dva). The Kombinat Tri download includes 32/64-bit VST and VST3, and 64-bit AAX for Windows 8 or greater, and as a 32/64-bit AU/VST/VST3/AAX for OS X (10.8 or greater).