Ross Bencina has announced that version 2.0 of AudioMulch is now in the final stages of development. Due to the scope of development things have taken longer than anticipated but the release is currently expected to take place on June 5th, 2009. On May 1st, 2009 the AudioMulch 2.0 beta program will be opened to all existing users. Both Windows and Macintosh builds will be available. All existing users are invited to participate.
AudioMulch 2.0 is not just a new version, it is the next generation of AudioMulch. It will provide a foundation for a new cycle of feature development and improvements that will be rolled out in regular updates after the 2.0 release. The focus is currently on delivering a stable and reliable release as soon as practical.
AudioMulch 2.0 will run on Windows (XP, Vista) and natively on Macintosh OS X (Intel only).
AudioMulch 2.0 will be backward-compatible with AudioMulch 1.0. It will provide all AudioMulch 1.0 functionality. The Macintosh version of AudioMulch will be able to load AudioMulch 1.0 patches.
Improvements to the AudioMulch core will include:
- Significant performance increases for audio processing (up to twice the efficiency in some cases).
- Patchable MIDI routing.
- MIDI and Automation control of Metasurface, tempo and transport.
- New Pattern editor for Drums contraption supporting higher resolution and variable length patterns.
- Improved support for consumer multichannel sound cards.
- Settings for enabling audio, MIDI and network functions at start-up.
The AudioMulch 2.0 user interface has been re-coded from the ground up. This has lead to numerous work-flow improvements, including:
- A new Patcher with advanced drag-and-drop patching.
- Dockable windows improving multi-monitor operation.
- Faster access to MIDI control and parameter values.
- Floating Parameter Control (formerly Parameter Modulation) window.
- Nameable contraption presets.
In order to avoid further delaying the release, support for complex time signatures including automated time signature changes and additive meters, has been rescheduled for the version 2.1 update. All version 2.x updates will be available free of charge to users who have purchased a version 2.0 licence or upgrade.
Licensing and Pricing
AudioMulch 2.0 licenses will be portable across Windows and Macintosh. If you switch from Macintosh to Windows or vice versa you will be able to continue to use the same 2.0 licence. Upgrades from AudioMulch 1.0 to AudioMulch 2.0 will also be portable across Windows and Macintosh.
A full version 2.0 licence will be priced at $189 (USD). All AudioMulch 2.0 licenses will be valid on both Windows and Mac OSX.
The upgrade fee for licensed users of version 1.0 will be $89. New users may find better value by buying AudioMulch 1.0 now (for $89) and upgrading upon release of version 2.0. A pre-purchase upgrade to version 2.0 is available to volume education customers.