VB-Audio Software has released Voicemeeter version 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52, with a major update to the Voicemeeter Remote API providing a new audio API for Windows.
Now developers will be able to use Voicemeeter as a virtual audio board by implementing the VB-Audio Callback mechanism, through only 4 functions:
- VBVMR_AudioCallbackRegister ();
- VBVMR_AudioCallbackStart ();
- VBVMR_AudioCallbackStop ();
- VBVMR_AudioCallbackUnregister ();
VB-Audio say the Windows Audio API has always been a pain to implement and a hell to validate. With Voicemeeter Virtual Audio device mixer being more used as a main audio system component for Windows, it became natural to provide an audio API to process audio inside Voicemeeter where all audio streams are synchronized together. Then, developers can take advantage of all that Voicemeeter brings:
- The Audio device aggregation.
- Application interconnection (thanks to virtual audio device and virtual ASIO driver).
- All audio interfaces support (MME, KS, WASAPI, Direct-X, and ASIO).
- VBAN protocol to send /receive audio to any computer of a local network.
Voicemeeter Audio Callback provides 3 possible synchronized streams (that can be handled by 3 different applications) to allow 3 kinds of processing:
- The INPUT INSERT to process all audio sources just before being mixed by Voicemeeter.
- The OUTPUT INSERT to process all audio busses before master processing.
- The MAIN STREAM provides all I/O's (all inputs after insert and all outputs after BUS Fader).
With this new Audio API, it's now possible to process audio for any kind of application or use case managed by Voicemeeter. To process audio going to Skype or coming from Teamspeak becomes easy. To process 5.1 audio for an HDMI output device becomes easy. To design up mix, any matrix or equalization process on 8 channels output device do not need APOs any more, it can be done by a simple application connected to Output INSERT stream of Voicemeeter.
With Voicemeeter Remote API VB-Audio invite all developers searching a simple and powerful audio system component, to join their forum and start to play with their tools: vbaudio.jcedeveloppement.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
Voicemeeter is distributed to End Users as Donationware (Users can pay the license fee they want). Contact VB-Audio for Volume Licensing / Corporate Installation or Distribution / Integration / Bundle requests. Voicemeeter Remote API is free to use for personal, educational, research and open source projects.