The Vienna Symphonic Library and its North American distributor ILIO have announced the release of all 13 Horizon Series products in HALion on Kontakt formats. All libraries including Vienna's Performance Tool can therefore be used on the samplers EXS24 mk II, GigaStudio, HALion, and Kontakt, on both Mac OS and Windows platforms.
- The Performance Tool for Windows supports GigaStudio, HALion and Kontakt.
- The Performance Tool in Logic/EXS24 mk II is a plug-in and operates under Mac OS 9.2 and OS X 10.3.
- The stand-alone Performance Tool for Mac OS X 10.3 supports HALion and Kontakt.
All of the Horizon Series products include the Giga and EXS24 formatted presets on the install DVDs. When registering on the Vienna website users select the format of choice from all of the available formats. For using the libraries with HALion and Kontakt samplers, users log on to Vienna's User Area to download the respective programs which make use of the .wav files from the EXS version on the DVDs.
Performance Tool Video Tutorials
Vienna's much requested Performance Tool Video Tutorial is now available. Hosted by Vienna Symphonic Library's Chief Editing Engineer Paul Steinbauer, this DVD contains hours of video to help users become Performance Tool experts. The tutorials show how to create slow and fast legatos, realistic portamentos and glissandos, quick spiccato passages, authentic repeated notes without the notorious "machine-gun effect" and much more. The movies deliver first-hand tips and expert knowledge to beginners and professional users. The DVD also contains additional footage of interviews with various musicians and engineers involved in the project.
Holiday Offers From Vienna
First Edition Users
Through December 31st, 2004, users of Vienna's First Edition can upgrade to the Pro Edition at a 30% discount. The offer includes upgrades of single modules (Strings, Brass & Woodwinds, Percussion, Performance Set) as well as bundles (Orchestral Cube, Complete Orchestral Package).
Opus 1 Users
Also this December, users of the Horizon Series' Opus 1 can upgrade to the Complete Orchestral Package of the Pro Edition at a 15% discount, in addition to the full credit of their Opus 1 purchase price.
First Time Pro Edition Customers will also be able to get the Complete Orchestral Package of the Pro Edition at a 15% discount through the end of the year.
Free Sample Downloads
The Vienna Symphonic Library is also giving a free gift to all of its customers. Registered users may download the following sample sets at no charge. Limited time offer through January 31st:
Owners of ANY Vienna Symphonic Library product may download:
- Cello Ensemble FX runs
- Trombone Ensemble Clusters Staccatos (2 variations), sforzato, short crescendo
Owners of Strings Pro Edition may download:
- Cello Ensemble ponticello staccatos, looped sustains, looped tremolos
- Bass Ensemble ponticello staccatos, looped sustains, looped tremolos
Owners of Brass & Woodwinds Pro Edition may download:
- Trumpet in C muted staccatos, looped sustains, sforzato, legato forte
- Trumpet Ensemble muted staccatos, looped sustains, sforzato, legato forte
- Tenor Trombone muted staccatos, looped sustains, sforzato
- Trombone muted staccatos, looped sustains, sforzato
- Horn Ensemble muted staccatos, looped sustains, sforzato
Owners of Percussion Pro Edition may download:
- Bottles staccatos, sustains, flatter tongue
- Taiko Drums single hits, looped tremolos
Owners of the Performance Set Pro Edition may download:
- Trumpet in C muted legato forte
- Trumpet Ensemble muted legato forte
Horizon Series Competition
VSL users are invited to choose among three Horizon Series products, produce two demos using that product, and compete to win a Complete Orchestral Package of the Pro Edition.
- Vienna Concert Guitar
J. S. Bach: Suite in A Minor BWV 995 and Al Di Meola: Mediterranean Sundance
Korn: Did My Time and Van Halen: Eruption
- Saxophones I
H. Mancini: Pink Panther and Weather Report: In a Silent Way
The demos will be evaluated by a prominent jury that includes Peter Frampton, Phil Keaggy, Pat Martino, David Was, Klaus Doldinger, Herb Tucmandl, Thomas Meitz (Creator of Vienna Concert Guitar) and Michael Hula (Creator of Overdrive, Artistic Director Vienna Symphonic Library). Closing date: January 31st, 2004.