|Type / Tags||Dynamics (Compressor / Limiter)Spectral Processor|
|Copy Protection||Key File|
MSpectralDynamics can do many things, but mostly it serves as a modern hi-tech replacement for multiband compressors and loudness maximizers. However with features such as custom processing shape it can provide a wide range of effects. Additionally it provides a free-form linear phase equalizer with range from -80dB to 0dB, which you can use to fix issues with your recording.
Unlike Multiband compressors, MSpectralDynamics does not have any bands but works with the entire spectrum instead. It approximates energy located in each frequency and applies the dynamics to it separately. You can perform spectral compression to balance the spectral energy and increase loudness with minimal amount of artifacts. You can apply spectral expansion to excite frequencies and increase sound clarity.
- Spectral dynamic processing - other compressors perform dynamic processing in the time-domain, MSpectralDynamics performs the same actions in frequency domain, where you can increase loudness, balance frequencies etc.
- Free-form equalizer - a complementary feature of MSpectralDynamics is a free-form linear-phase equalizer with range from -80dB to 0dB editable using MeldaProduction Envelope System (MES).
- Power spectrum analyzer - integrated spectrum analyzer gives you accurate view of input and output spectral dynamic profile, gain reduction per frequency and free-form equalizer.
- 2 independent compressor/expander units with ratios from 1:4 to 20:1 and infinity, adjustable range and knee.
- Advanced gate unit with adjustable size and knee.
- Custom processing shape - by enabling this feature MSpectralDynamics immediately inherits the original processing envelope and you can modify it using the MeldaProduction envelope system (MES) technology, that lets you easily create any dynamic processing shape you like.
- Advanced and easy-to-use user interface - you can easily change all values and gain maximal accuracy using textual editing. Smooth visualisation of resulting response with almost unlimited zooming.
- Resolution, smoothness, slope, threshold shape - spectral detector provides advanced features defining how MSpectralDynamics analyzes and processes sound with various resulting time and spectral response.
- Advanced dynamic detector featuring manual and 4 automatic modes with adjustable limits and speed. Besides standard attack and release parameters MSpectralDynamics provides peak/RMS settings and peak hold feature.
- Actual source level indication inside the shape graph - you always know, what dynamic value you can actually expect on the input and output, and what gain-reduction MSpectralDynamics performs.
- Adjustable up-sampling 1x-16x to minimize aliasing and get even more clear sound.
- 3 signal shaping modes, dry/wet control and other supportive parameters that ease your workflow with MSpectralDynamics.
- Global preset management - using a title button you can save your settings, which are shared on the computer, so you can easily access them in other songs.
- Full automation (except custom shapes).
Reviewed By Mathematics
December 21, 2017
I'm hoping this review serves valuable to anyone contemplating buying this plugin.
The main use I have for this plugin, and what I discovered this plugin does better than any other compressor plugin I have ever used, is for ducking frequencies. In other words, using it as a side-chain compressor. As of now, Dec 2017, there isn't anything like this except for the stand-alone program called SpectraLayers with a built-in function called Spectral Casting. The downside with Spectral Casting is that it's not real time...so that is a huge downfall. With MSpectralDynamics (MSD for short) you have surgical control of your sound, in real-time, whether or not you're using it in side-chain; however, IMHO its side-chain capability is its most powerful feature.
The price tag is a hefty one though, so it may not be for the amateur or music hobbyist unless you can budget this kind of price but I can now say, after having used it on several mixes now, that it IS my definitive choice for ducking frequencies. NOTHING ELSE EVEN COMES CLOSE. I would go so far to say that if you're a professional mixing or mastering engineer, you SHOULD have this in your toolbox.
It does a lot of other things other than ducking frequencies, but I'm so impressed at how well of a job it does at ducking frequencies, that I'm going to bias this review toward that.
You know that pumping effect you get from side-chaining the kick into the bass...well...you can actually eliminate that artifact with MSD. If you still want that pumping effect, you can dial it in if you're producing Techno but when you want a clean and natural fusion of competing frequencies, this is the definitive choice to get that result.
It has MS mode, and every variation of the combination of manipulating the channels that make up the stereo field. You get both meter and graphical analysis of the audio input and resulting audio output. There is just too much to mention what this plugin does both functionally and creatively that I would suggest downloading it, READ THE MANUAL, then test it rigorously on a mix or two, especially in side-chain for ducking. Then test out the other purposes for this plugin...including its most obvious mode...compressor. Lol.
To wrap things up, although this was a biased review for its purpose most impressive to me, I know it will be an essential tool in every pro studio. A great complement to this plugin is Melda's MMultiAnalyzer for seeing competing frequencies on the same analyzer. Ozone 8 also let's you see competing frequencies, but only two at a time...Melda has no limit AFAIK.Read more
Reviewed By tommyzai
November 2, 2013
MSpectralDynamics by MeldaProduction is an intense processing plugin that has boundless capabilities. It can be used as a compressor, expander-maximizer, gate, or EQ, but also provides creative flexibility to be used in many other ways. The interface is intuitive and easy to get started via the main page, which features four big knobs, a column of parameters, and an easy-to-read meter. The edit page has advanced features that allow for complete control over the type, shape, and degree of processing.
I extensively demoed MSD for noise removal, repairing, and mastering. Once I realized that I was working with thousands of frequencies across an entire spectrum, (not on specific bands) possibilities opened up. .. I was able to isolate frequencies, draw frequencies, or make global sonic changes across the spectrum. De-essing is a dream! Instead of lowering the volume sibilant constants on a vocal track, you can spectrally compress the high points of the troubling frequency range that contained the vocal hisses. The result was a much cleaner and easier to listen to vocal track, free of lisps. Of course, other specific sounds can be reduced or enhanced, i.e., kick drum, hi hats, or even the entire vocals of a mix (more tricky, of course). Noise reduction, in general, is a strong point of this plugin.
- Clean, scalable interface with a basic operations on main page and complex creative options on edit page.
- Capable of doing many things by working with specific frequencies.
- Smart randomization (great feature found in many Melda plugins).
- Safety limiter to prevent spikes/unwanted distortion.
- Fantastic sound quality — adjustable up-sampling (1-16x).
- Lifetime updates free.
- Edit page has a moderate learning curve — does a lot, lots to learn.
- Unattractive IU.
- Would benefit from additional algorithms/profiles/patches for specific processing, i.e., targeting specific frequencies like a bass drum, hi hat/cymbals, etc.
- Latency is very minimal, but zero would be a welcome miracle.
MSpectralDynamics can do many, many things —it's an "all-in-one solution." However, there are a few dedicated processing plugins in Melda's bundle that can do specific tasks a little easier. Still, MSD is a powerful, addictive plugin that inspires creative approaches to dynamic processing. Considering all it does, the price is good, and if you are wise enough to buy the bundle — it's a steal! I give MSpectralDynamics a big, fat all-in-one thumb up.Read more