|Type / Tags||Synth (Analogue / Subtractive)|
PoiZone is a subtractive synthesizer designed to bring you "professional quality results", without a learning curve that hinders your creativity. The concept behind PoiZone was to design a synthesizer that had the smallest number of controls while providing the maximum flexibility and features.
- 2 oscillators that can produce the two most popular and useful shapes for subtractive synthesis: fat, bright Saw and Pulse shapes, with adjustable pulse width.
- Noise generator.
- Ring modulation.
- Sync modulation.
- 16 voices polyphony.
- 4 voice Unison with user-adjustable stereo panning and 'Octaver'. The Octave expands the harmonic range and flexibility of the unison sound to support the creation of realistic 'vox-like' effects.
- 2 ADSR envelope generators. One for traditional envelope duties, the other can be user assigned.
- 3 Filter modes - low pass, band pass and high pass. Capable of self oscillation. Special attention has been given to precise filter tuning so that when KEYTRK is set to maximum, the PoiZone filter will track keyboard frequency precisely so it can be used as an oscillator. The PoiZone filter has bright and clean sound or it can be 'grungy' and 'angry' when resonance is introduced as it features some light distortion. And even with distortion the filter sounds clean on high frequencies as it has no aliasing.
- Keyboard and Velocity tracking for the filter.
- Muti-mode Arpeggiator.
- Noise Gate with an adjustable 16 step pattern. The gate features smoothness control and the ability to import/export patterns to .fxp files.
- Delay effect, with tempo-synced click-free stereo delays and delay time modulation. Lo-cut and hi-cut.
- Chorus with a warm sound with unison emulation.
- MIDI learn feature with the ability to save/load MIDI setups to/from a patch.
- LFO and Mod Wheel modulation. Can be assigned to a wide range of performance parameters in PoiZone.
Reviewed By kyodeejay
April 29, 2008
Their knobs have a movement with inertia, all the controls are big and the colour theme is nice. It's a pleasure play with its interface! It's ultraeasy to use.
The sound you can achieve is excellent. The filter is unique, you don't hear anything similar. With detune, 8-voice unison and chorus you can achieve pretty trance leads.
PoiZone is a simple plugin, but isn't another substractive plugin. It has only the minimum features you need for electronic music. However I miss some features as Osc1 Pitch [you can do it with main pitch, I know], or Noise Filter/EQ/various noises. It's a pitty you must use the master fine tune when you detune the sound with unison.
CPU cheap when you're playing lots of notes.
The manual is pretty short and doesn't explain very well some aspects. But if you have some experience with substractive plugins you don't need anymore.
With these presets you can see the big variety of sounds you can get with poiZone. The basses and pads are very well done. However it need better leads (you can do them EASILY).
Excellent, I cannot say anymore.
79$ its pretty cheap when you hear his sound and play with its interface.
It never crash me. Fast load.Read more
Reviewed By grymmjack
September 26, 2007
Very good interface. Clean and simple. Great response and smooth animations. Easy to read high contrast, and has status with readouts. Mousewheel support and built in preset management and MIDI mapping capability make this a real joy to use.
Sounds good. Big phat basses, seering leads and soft lush pads can be achieved. The filter is very good and tuned well; is musical sounding to my ears. Great effects on board for delay chorus and gate.
Everything that matters can be tempo-synced; gate, arp, delay, and LFO included. The built in effects are excellent especially the chorus but the delay aint too shabby either - lots of options. 4 voice unison with 32 voice poly, and excellent glide implementation. The unison is particularly good with separate controls for detune and pan. This synth is definitely geared towards modern music it seems.
The PDF manual is good and explains everything well. There are bookmarks in the PDF for quick jumping around. Nice big screen shots and usable design in the docs.
The presets are excellent. Very diverse groups of sounds represented by some of my favorite sound designers. Categories include ARP(pegiated), ATMO(mosphere), GATE, BASS, KBD(Keyboard), LED(Lead), RYM(Rhythm), SFX(SoundFX), and SYN(Synth). Some huge sounds in here to be sure.
Image-Line has always given me world-class service and treated me fairly, with respect, and has been very generous providing this 2.0 version free of charge to existing owners of the 1.0 version.
[VALUE FOR MONEY]
I would say good to great depending on your needs and the type of music you make. If you need a good bass/lead synth with unison and good onboard effects for modern electronic music the VFM is very good.
I have not had a problem with 2.0. v1.0 had a few growing pains that seem to be non-existant in this latest and greatest release.Read more