Straightliner is a straight-lined subtractive synthesizer in a modern guise. If you like the easy and intuitive feel of subtractive synthesis but are not excited by reverb-drenched virtual-analog arpeggios, then Straightliner is the synth for you.
You will find the well known building blocks of classic analog synthesizers (4 oscillators, a filter, 3 envelope generators) patched together in the traditional way. However, in Straightliner, these building blocks offer much more flexibility than commonly seen in virtual analog synthesizers: Instead of relying on a set of fixed waveforms, the oscillators support loading of arbitrary (single cycle) audio files which may be manipulated in various ways. The waveforms may even be in stereo and if they are not, they can internally be stereoized by some of the waveform-manipulation facilities. In turn, the whole signal path is laid out in stereo which allows for wide and enveloping sounds even without application of any effects.
The standard ADSR model for envelopes is replaced by a flexible modulation generator which allows to define an arbitrary number of breakpoints - by defining a sustain-loop, these modulators can also take over the role of LFOs. The heart of subtractive synthesizers is the filter, of course. In this department, Straightliner offers a multimode filter with 15 modes, among them a sophisticated Moog model.
The user interface of the synth focuses on visual editors optimized for editing on screen with a mouse instead of the commonly seen hardware oriented interfaces. These visual editors don't just 'sketch' the resulting curves but exactly represent what is being generated in a 'what you see is what you get' manner.
- 4 alias-free Oscillators, each of which may load a stereo or mono single cycle wave file (.wav or .flac). Waveforms can be manipulated in various ways, including stereoization facilities for mono waveforms.
- Full stereo signal path for wide and enveloping sounds right from the start even without any effects.
- Multimode filter with 15 modes, among them a sophisticated Moog model.
- 3 flexible modulation generators for pitch, filter-frequency and amplitude, with an arbitrary number of breakpoints and 9 options for the shape in between any pair of breakpoints.
- Support of microtuning via import of .tun files.
- Hierarchical preset management to let you load and save presets not only for the synth as a whole but also separately for each relevant building block to easily hybridize your patches.
- Intuitive WYSIWYG user interface to let you comprehend patches at a glance - optimized for use with screen and mouse rather than mimicking hardware.