UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Back from holidays :)

iLok glitch should be fixed now and launching back iLok licence manager should fix the issue from what they told us.
This happened only with computer based authorization.
Very sorry about that.

If I have missed some questions, please post the message back so I can have a look.

Thanks !
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote:Back from holidays :)

iLok glitch should be fixed now and launching back iLok licence manager should fix the issue from what they told us.
This happened only with computer based authorization.
Very sorry about that.

If I have missed some questions, please post the message back so I can have a look.

Thanks !
How about creating a UVI forum here on KVR? This thread is insane to try to gather any information from.

Not going to happen.
Official support is done through email using our zendesk platform.

If there was a Falcon Forum here then people would expect support from it and it would be a nightmare to handle.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Anybody interested in setting up a non-official forum?
I think a complex instrument like Falcon would greatly profit from a central place to share scripts, patches and knowledge.
I would go so far as saying that it will not live up to it's full potential without a supporting community.
This thread and Simons FAQ are great if one follows every post, but not really feasible as a community platform.

For instance: When the author of the Falcon Punch scripts didn't post them on this thread, most people never saw them - which is really sad.

Maybe UVI would be willing to at least support such an effort it it's made clear that official support is through their zendesk stuff?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:Anybody interested in setting up a non-official forum?
I think a complex instrument like Falcon would greatly profit from a central place to share scripts, patches and knowledge.
I would go so far as saying that it will not live up to it's full potential without a supporting community.
This thread and Simons FAQ are great if one follows every post, but not really feasible as a community platform.

For instance: When the author of the Falcon Punch scripts didn't post them on this thread, most people never saw them - which is really sad.

Maybe UVI would be willing to at least support such an effort it it's made clear that official support is through their zendesk stuff?

Cheers,

Tom

I already thought about it, investigated different types of forum software, costs and so on, but the maintenance of such a forum needs a lot of time and passion, qualified moderation and more. I have the passion alright but am lacking the time, we'll see...

I personally would be willing to invest a certain amount of time and maybe some graphics support, but I know too little about forum software (which these days is a very deep topic with all the security breaches going on) to help much on the technical side.
Would be good to set it up in a more socially encouraging way than KVR though, for instance with a "Thanks" function like ambient online.
One of the best forums I know from the technical aspects is the Rhino 3D one: https://discourse.mcneel.com/
Very slick, realtime preview of messages, intuitive quoting and one of the few forums that really feel up to date instead of 90ies-ish.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

I have to sleep over it a while, I really don't need another task related to Internet, computers, plugins, Falcon...on the other hand it would be a very good thing to have.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I have to sleep over it a while, I really don't need another task related to Internet, computers, plugins, Falcon...on the other hand it would be a very good thing to have.
Agreed :-)
Well, maybe somebody who has the technical expertise already would be willing to join in?
You definitely have the sound design side covered, but it would be good to have someone with the web software part down pat.
And I would also find it great if UVI would support the effort in some way.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I have to sleep over it a while, I really don't need another task related to Internet, computers, plugins, Falcon...on the other hand it would be a very good thing to have.
Agreed :-)
Well, maybe somebody who has the technical expertise already would be willing to join in?
You definitely have the sound design side covered, but it would be good to have someone with the web software part down pat.
And I would also find it great if UVI would support the effort in some way.

Cheers,

Tom
Well, we have the option to create an Unofficial Falcon Forum, I wouldn't count on any support by UVI, they are a small team and have enough work already.

Ive been involved on a project (axoloti) where we use discourse, on digital ocean and that was (or seemed) very easy to get up n running (see installing discourse), and not really had any issues. we don't really need to do much moderation.
but of course there are running costs, like hosting (around $20/month), domain name purchase...

perhaps UVI could sponsor/help out with a community site?
otristan wrote: If there was a Falcon Forum here then people would expect support from it and it would be a nightmare to handle.
Actually, I think thats not true, if you make it clear its community site...
Elektronauts (Elektron), Bitwig ( here on KVR) both don't do support in these forums, they just leave it up to users, and only very occasionally have posts by staff. ( about the same numbers as you post in this thread) and they tend to be more 'product announcements'.

even if you go to Ableton and NIs forums, again there seems little/no official interaction, questions are not answered by developers, only other end-users.

so whilst SOME companies use forums as a support platform, many do not, and so we (users) are used to that, its a simple matter of setting expectations. so I cannot see why the same cannot be true of UVI/Falcon

the key here, is companies do this, to provide a central community site... so users can gather together to support each other, so they just provide the 'infrastructure', then let the community get on with it.
(the only real effort, is appointing moderators... but those are usually not hard to find)

thetechnobear wrote:Ive been involved on a project (axoloti) where we use discourse, on digital ocean and that was (or seemed) very easy to get up n running (see installing discourse), and not really had any issues. we don't really need to do much moderation.
but of course there are running costs, like hosting (around $20/month), domain name purchase...

perhaps UVI could sponsor/help out with a community site?
otristan wrote: If there was a Falcon Forum here then people would expect support from it and it would be a nightmare to handle.
Elektronauts (Elektron), Bitwig ( here on KVR) both don't do support in these forums, they just leave it up to users, and only very occasionally have posts by staff. ( about the same numbers as you post in this thread) and they tend to be more 'product announcements'.

even if you go to Ableton and NIs forums, again there seems little/no official interaction, questions are not answered by developers, only other end-users.

so whilst SOME companies use forums as a support platform, many do not, and so we (users) are used to that, its a simple matter of setting expectations. so I cannot see why the same cannot be true of UVI/Falcon

the key here, is companies do this, to provide a central community site... so users can gather together to support each other, so they just provide the 'infrastructure', then let the community get on with it.
(the only real effort, is appointing moderators... but those are usually not hard to find)
Couldn't agree more.

thetechnobear wrote:

I agree with all this. Plenty of companies have forums here but ask users to contact them directly for technical support.

Others have their own forums but generally let them run themselves.

I would far rather the forum is here; I rarely go to company forums, normally only when a search engine hit takes me to one.

That said, I would be prepared to contribute some time and support. 10 years ago I was running a rack of Linux servers, I still do small web sites, but I'm rusty on server side stuff and have never run forum software. If somebody else was leading I could probably provide backup support.

So there are 4 of us already, give us some names then, I would be willing to book the domain with my provider, the costs per year shouldn't be that much (I would go for both domain.com/.org), I have plenty of space left on my web hosting, so that's not a problem.

falcontown.com/.org -> .com is not available
falconhang.com/.org -> both are available, € 1.49 EUR for each per month -> € 36 EUR per year.
falconland.com/.org -> .com is not available
falconforum.com/.org -> not available
falconforum.net -> available for € 1.49 EUR per month

let them come...

suggested by Thomas:

FalconsNest -> not available (.com/.org/.net)
FalconsLair -> .net/.org/.com available
Falconia -> .net is available
Falcon4U -> .net/.org available
Falconity -> .net/.org/.com available
FalconsBalcony -> .net/.org/.com available
ColonyOfFalcons -> .net/.org/.com available
Falcove -> .org available
FalconCity -> .net/.org available
falconarity -> .net/.org/.com available

suggested by anxiousmofo:

sonicfalconers -> .net/.org/.com available
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Yes I would like to see an unofficial forum HERE on KVR. If UVI says its unofficial, for customers to talk with each other, and that official support is done via email / help desk, that's fine by me.

FalconsNest
FalconsLair
Falconia
Falcon4U
Falconity
FalconsBalcony
ColonyOfFalcons
Falcove
FalconCity
Falcon|noclaF ( ;-) just kidding)
Falconarity
FalConCarne

Return to “Instruments”