EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let me renew the question again. The problem is still unresolved.
tobra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 am My sound card E-MU1616m PCI-e works but there is one problem!
What cannot be recorded via the WDM driver?

At the very beginning when member ClubHouseKey posted how to configure the driver i did it successfully with a small script update. Example when you record a game via Nvidia game overlay you cannot record a microphone over the sound of the game, It's like the microphone is off. Please note that the microphone is included in the settings in Windows 10. Only this problem is present, with ASIO drivers I did not notice this type of problem. I hope that there is a possibility to solve this problem as well. My guess is that the problem with Windows 10 is that they have locked or shut down something.
Link: viewtopic.php?p=7778675#p7778675

It is a well known issue that E-MU WDM driver cannot record audio on a PC with 4GB or more of memory installed. This issue can be avoided by using a virtual mixer such as the VOICEMEETER Virtual Audio Mixer.
https://vb-audio.com/

Another workaround is to use the Kx Driver instead of E-MU driver.

yuk
KVRer
Contact yuk
11 posts since 10 Feb, 2008
Unread post Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm

It is a well known issue that E-MU WDM driver cannot record audio on a PC with 4GB or more of memory installed. This issue can be avoided by using a virtual mixer such as the VOICEMEETER Virtual Audio Mixer.
https://vb-audio.com/

Another workaround is to use the Kx Driver instead of E-MU driver.
It is my recollection that IF you have the ASIO drivers installed and you make the Emu interface the Windows Default "speakers" under setup - sound then WAVE sound from other apps in the system will show up under the WAVE strip as shown in the PatchMixDSP graphic that was posted. You can just place a SEND in that strip to the ASIO channels of your choice and this should make the Windows default audio available on the ASIO channels (stereo) chosen when you inserted the SEND in WAVE strip.

Further, this works regardless of the amount of RAM in the PC. I used this regularly in my 16GB RAM equipped PC with an 1820m interface for years.

That is no longer my main DAW machine so I would have to fire it up just to confirm this configuration but I am very confident that it works because the Emu 1820m interface has been selected as the "Default" speakers device in setup.

Rawl

Hi Rawl (@rawl747) -

I'm going to go with your recommendation of the Focusrite Scarlett as a replacement for my 1820m. I like the ASIO routing capabilities of PatchMix (e.g. pushing WAVE into Cubase via PatchMix), and you've mentioned that Focusrite has a similar software mixer.

I'm going with this model, as I want the SPDIF I/O: https://focusrite.com/en/audio-interfac ... arlett-8i6

Anything you miss with Scarlett moving from 1820m? Is the latency as good with the Scarlett USB device? I only record at rates 44k and 48k.

Thanks -- Todd

Todd,

I have been quite satisfied with my 1st Gen. 18i20. One thing I wanted was to still have a MIDI interface as part of the replacement interface and I think the model you mentioned does as well. The newer version of the Scarlett also have provisions for loopback of the Windows WAVE audio. This allow recording into Cubase of other Windows applications. The 1st gen actually requires an external SP/DIF loopback cable to do this but the 3rd generation interfaces I understand have this capability as an option from within the mixer application. You should also get some FX applications with it.

As to latency, it isn't quite as fast as the PCI bus based 1820m but it is adequate still. I believe you would have to go with a much more expensive interface brand such as RME to get much better.

Of course, latency is highly dependent on buffer size to I would have to make a direct comparison with an identical buffer size between the two and I have never done that. But I think you will be satisfied.

I hope this answers your questions enough for you to make a decision. If you need more information, let me know.

Rawl

rawl747 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:06 pm
I hope this answers your questions enough for you to make a decision.

Rawl
It does - thanks! I just ordered the 8i6 as by odd coincidence my 1820m doc just died - no power, despite switching Ethernet cables. I plan on breaking it open to inspect the caps.

I didn't expect to get the kind of latency I was seeing with the 1820m PCI card, but if I can get it down to something like 5ms I think that will do me.

I did look at the RME PCI card, and like the 404 its connectivity is via a wiring harness off the back of the card. It wasn't obvious to me that there were similar pre/IO front ends to the card, at least without spending a bunch. UAD was similar.

Thanks again! I'll miss my 1820m.

-- Todd

Todd,

@ 48k with Cubase Pro v11
Buffer: Latency
128 bits 6.333 ms both input and output
256 bits 11.979 ms both input and output
512 bits 22.333 ms both input and output

ASIO-Guard Latency is 21.333 ms for all three cases.

I would have to fire up my old DAW W/S to make a comparison to my 1820m.

Also, I like the Focusrite because I have multiple synths and with it's ADAT optical input, I use a Behringer Model ADA8200 ADAT audio interface which gives me an additional 8 monophonic channels of input - either XLR or 1/4 inch balanced or unbalanced phone jack inputs. This fully fleshes out the total number of available inputs nicely.

Rawl

I'm not sure that I ever actually measured the buffer size with E-MU's ASIO, but I think I was getting ~5ms w/ Cubase 10.5 and Ableton Live before getting drop-outs.

Presumably I would get the same numbers you're seeing - I would guess that the bottleneck would be the USB interface, and not the device.

Well, yes and no. Sure I expect that a PCI based card interface will inherently have better I/O speed but it is also dependent upon how many channels you are trying to work with in your project. The more audio you try to pump through the ASIO driver the more buffers you end up needing in order to handle the I/O.

Many folks use a lower setting when playing MIDI into the project so that the latency is less of an issue in terms of listening to the audio your playing produces. Then when they go to listen to all the tracks at once for playback, a higher buffer setting that prevents audio dropouts will increase the latency but you don't really care at this point because you aren't trying to listen real-time to your own playing.

Does this make sense?

Rawl

rawl747 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:00 pm
Many folks use a lower setting when playing MIDI into the project so that the latency is less of an issue in terms of listening to the audio your playing produces. Then when they go to listen to all the tracks at once for playback, a higher buffer setting that prevents audio dropouts will increase the latency but you don't really care at this point because you aren't trying to listen real-time to your own playing.

Does this make sense?
It does and that was well said - I do care about latency for monitoring when using a MIDI into VSTi, but it didn't occur to me that I should care less so for playback.

You clearly know more about this than me :)

Little addition for the script:

PowerShell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File .runme.ps1

this will allow to bypass (one shot) the execution policy restriction without changing anything in the system ;)

this will allow to bypass (one shot) the execution policy restriction without changing anything in the system ;)
Is this so that one does not have to temporarily disable the group policy protecting the drivers from updates?

Rawl

rawl747 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 pm

Is this so that one does not have to temporarily disable the group policy protecting the drivers from updates?

Rawl
Sorry but I think you're confusing 2 things:

1. execution policy preventing the script to run (previous mentioned methods suggested to do multiple steps with Set-ExecutionPolicy which have then to be reverted once the script has been executed)

2. Preventing windows update from updating the drivers through a group policy clause

My post refers to nr.1: no need to run multiple commands to disable ExecutionPolicy and re-enable it once the scripts have done their job by using the method I suggested.

Apologies if I didn't make it clear enough.

tlainhart wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 pm
l_maseroni wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:21 pm Hello everyone, does anyone know how to load emu effects on a daw? Cubase, reaper for example. I read there that the latest version of the dsp patchmix does not have the emu power fx which is the vst to insert into the daw. I'm interested in reverb and some other things.
As technology moved on, Power FX became incompatible with DAWs - it stopped working a long time ago.

The FX are still available in Patchmix - perhaps you can do some ASIO routing to make them available.
I am replying to a Emu FX in a DAW question, but first i have to share my expirience about technology and how it moves on, making everything old obsolete. I dont believe in that, i understand people who like technological advancement, i am almost a tech geek myself, but calling everything older as a obsolette is pretty ignorant, and spreading that to a newcomers wont help, in terms of software too.

Anyway, here´s E-mu 1616m PowerFX in a FL Studio 11 32bit on a Windows 7 64x making 95% of my plugins(Waves, TC, TDR) kinda in the fight for the survival. And i went from Scarlett 2i2 and Behringer Umc22 to a old obsolete 1616m which needed recap and some love and a bit patience with drivers.

This is the point where i am making disk images for the future.

Image Image
!

Reticular wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:13 am
tlainhart wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 pm
l_maseroni wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:21 pm Hello everyone, does anyone know how to load emu effects on a daw? Cubase, reaper for example. I read there that the latest version of the dsp patchmix does not have the emu power fx which is the vst to insert into the daw. I'm interested in reverb and some other things.
As technology moved on, Power FX became incompatible with DAWs - it stopped working a long time ago.

The FX are still available in Patchmix - perhaps you can do some ASIO routing to make them available.
I am replying to a Emu FX in a DAW question, but first i have to share my expirience about technology and how it moves on, making everything old obsolete. I dont believe in that, i understand people who like technological advancement, i am almost a tech geek myself, but calling everything older as a obsolette is pretty ignorant, and spreading that to a newcomers wont help, in terms of software too.

Anyway, here´s E-mu 1616m PowerFX in a FL Studio 11 32bit on a Windows 7 64x making 95% of my plugins(Waves, TC, TDR) kinda in the fight for the survival. And i went from Scarlett 2i2 and Behringer Umc22 to a old obsolete 1616m which needed recap and some love and a bit patience with drivers.

This is the point where i am making disk images for the future.

Image Image
Interesting. When I first installed the PowerFX plug-ins in Sonar 6 (under Windows XP), the latency was a serious issue, and they weren't terribly stable. I use a few of them quite a bit to hear some effects while tracking (which is what they're designed to do), but if you're able to use them reliably in your mixes, that's pretty cool.

That said, using PowerFX plug-ins in your mixes will make them very difficult to work with if you ever move away from Windows 7 or the E-MU card. And that's probably more likely to happen than you think. It's great that you can use them, but in doing so, you're not "future-proofing" your mixes -- you're locking them into a specific set of effects that work on a specific (and no longer supported) audio interface on a specific (and no longer supported) OS. Anything you might want to remix in a couple of years could be tied to the effects on each track. And not only will you not be able to open an effect to see its parameters (to then re-create in another effect), but you won't even be able to hear what the effect was doing to try to re-create it by ear. I found myself in a similar situation shortly after I started using plug-ins and tied myself to a dev who wasn't charging for his effects. They were useful while he was around, but once he stopped developing them, and once I moved to Win 7 (x64), the old, 32-bit effects wouldn't load or weren't stable. I had to re-mix entire songs from scratch.

Just a bit of friendly advice.... :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”