Save preset as fxp. Is it ever going to happen?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote: If someone wants to make all their presets able to transfer across DAW's, then they are giving up so much of what is possible in Bitwig or Live. They are both such creative sound design tools.
That's obvious, no one is expecting to be able to save multi plugin presets and device chains across hosts (if I want to do that that's what I use NI Kore for anyway, which I can load in any host already). Just that Bitwig fully supports the VST format by supporting the saving of fxp and fxb presets for those plugins that rely on the host to do so.
@ aMUSEd - think you forget to insert a "don't" somewhere in the end of your relpy. :wink:

@pdxindy

FX racks/device chains, thats another thing in of it self. To be blunt it's not an actual VST/VSTi preset. It's a host preset and besides storing the settings for various functions of the host it contains the fxp/fxb structure (ie settings of the plugins) which it reads and saves/loads from the plugins the same way it does with the overall settings in your whole project file.

You will still have the use of fxp within the devicechain either way, the same way as you browse one plugin's preset in the chain by it's internal preset manager.

Also, if I have the presets available for the plugins there's not much work to setup the same macro/channel routing matrix in both Live and Bitwig.

_
Last edited by Kr3eM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kr3eM wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote: If someone wants to make all their presets able to transfer across DAW's, then they are giving up so much of what is possible in Bitwig or Live. They are both such creative sound design tools.
That's obvious, no one is expecting to be able to save multi plugin presets and device chains across hosts (if I want to do that that's what I use NI Kore for anyway, which I can load in any host already). Just that Bitwig fully supports the VST format by supporting the saving of fxp and fxb presets for those plugins that rely on the host to do so.
@ aMUSEd - think you forget to insert a "don't" somewhere in the end of your relpy. :wink:
wtf how did I do that? I guess I changed the wording at some point and didn't read it back properly. I meant to say Bitwig needs to fully support the VST plugin format. Corrected it now.

nm

-----
Last edited by Kr3eM on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-----------

Yearly check to see if fxp is now supported. Nope.

Now that vst3 is here this still needs addressing - only now for vstpresets too. Just wasted time making a patch in Padshop while playing around with it only to remember that there was no way to save the damn thing. This is just crazy and I would have expected a version 2 update to fix this absolutely basic thing that Bitwig can't do. Don't they realise this means BWS is completely useless for sound design?

I really think if Bitwig are going to charge a regular update fee then us users should start being more assertive about the features we expect for our money. For me this is essential.

aMUSEd wrote:Now that vst3 is here this still needs addressing - only now for vstpresets too. Just wasted time making a patch in Padshop while playing around with it only to remember that there was no way to save the damn thing. This is just crazy and I would have expected a version 2 update to fix this absolutely basic thing that Bitwig can't do. Don't they realise this means BWS is completely useless for sound design?
I support your request... but useless? that is overstated don't you think?

pdxindy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Now that vst3 is here this still needs addressing - only now for vstpresets too. Just wasted time making a patch in Padshop while playing around with it only to remember that there was no way to save the damn thing. This is just crazy and I would have expected a version 2 update to fix this absolutely basic thing that Bitwig can't do. Don't they realise this means BWS is completely useless for sound design?
I mean when using plugins like Padshop that rely on the host for preset management it is pretty much, unless I just want to design presets for the small subset of Bitwig users who also own Padshop and not for all Padshop users. Same for Softube Modular etc.

aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
I mean when using plugins like Padshop that rely on the host for preset management it is pretty much, unless I just want to design presets for the small subset of Bitwig users who also own Padshop and not for all Padshop users. Same for Softube Modular etc.
Okay... I agree that Bitwig is useless for designing preset sounds for plugins that do not have their own preset management. It's not useless in the general sense since these days most plugins have their own preset system.

It does not seem like a lot of work to add fxp/fxb support, but hey, I'm not a coder so I could be wrong. I also selfishly want Bitwig to spend their dev time elsewhere since this does not affect me (sorry)

I would not buy a plugin that did not have its own preset management exactly because I do not want to depend on hosts for it.

Yes me neither as a rule - this is the main reason I have so far avoided Softube Modular, much as I would have loved to get it. But with Padshop I didn't know it was a problem because the VST2 and AU do have built in presets management, it's just the VST3 that doesn't (I guess because it's supposed to integrate into Cubase). However on Mac there is no VST2 so I am left using the VST3 in Bitwig (except I might as well not bother using it at all in Bitwig till they fix this as I always find myself making new patches as I make music with it)

You asked support about .fxp? What did they told you?

They seem to be struggling to appreciate the problem

Annoying that this is still a problem. Let's hope this get's some renewed attention now the major bugs are (mostly) fixed.

Return to “Bitwig”