CV / gate to MIDI with Bitwig 2?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an Intellijel Metropolis sequencer which I use with my modular synth. Currently it is only synced with Bitwig via a MOTU audio device.
Ideally I would like to convert the CV / GATE signals of the Metropolis sequencer to MIDI notes, so I can record / process the notes with my computer.

Would this be possible with Bitwig 2?

I don't think it is possible with board tools.
But http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html can do this theoretically with its CV 2 Midi Module.

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately I couldn't get it working reliably with the Expert Sleepers plugin or with Reaktor Blocks.
So I just ordered a Doepfer A-192-2 Dual CV/Gate to Midi/USB Interface.

Here's how you can convert gate to MIDI. Create an audio track, call it something like "Gate In 1". Set the input of this track to the hardware input to which you're sending gates. Make sure to disable Auto-monitor on the track and enable Track monitor (the little waveform icon to the left of the input for the track). Add a Replacer device to the track. You should see the gates that you're sending in the device window. Adjust the threshold to where you're triggering. Make sure to mute the track, or you will hear the gate clicks as they're coming in.

Now you're generating MIDI. In order to access it, create a Note Receiver device on the track that you want the MIDI on. Under Note Source, choose "Gate In 1->Replacer", and you should be good to go. I use this method to trigger modulators that require a MIDI note on (like ADSR).

If you want gate AND pitch CV to MIDI, just add a HW CV In Modulator to access a second hardware input (one that you're sending pitch information to), and use it to modulate Replacer's "Key" parameter, but there is a caveat. The info gets there, but it sounds like the note out gets sent from Replacer before the pitch CV in has a chance to set the "Key" parameter. So, you will have to insert a Time Shift device before Replacer and delay the gate signal getting to replacer. You can fine tweak the time to get the shortest time with accurate information. Also, the notes being sent out are offset. You can use the Gain control on HW CV In modulator to correct this. I found a value of +0.5dB did the trick.

Return to “Bitwig”