How important are plugin scans ? (Linux)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because I use Linux and linvst I have the possibility to replace plugins .dll w/o replacing the .so file that makes the windows vst bridge. It means that plugins can be updated without having Bitwig re-scanning them. Bitwig will simply use the new version. So, how important are plugin scans ? Are there some Bitwig parameters set during a scan or some other operation that could affect running a plugin ? So far I haven't seen any problems.

Cheers.

I've noticed a few things regarding plugin scans while doing plugin development. It wasn't through linvst, but it's taught me to at least completely terminate the Audio Engine before swapping files. In your case, it probably won't matter.

In a large difference from Windows, you can replace "in use" files on Linux because of the way they are read into memory. While Bitwig might rescan this changed file, if you're using the plugin in your currently opened project, it probably won't use the newer version unless you completely terminate (not just deactivate) the Audio Engine.

The rescanning process runs a few certain VST-related commands to learn how to categorize the plugin. In your case, if the plugin for some reason changed the inputs/outputs, category, or name, it might not update that. Parameters, however, are "understood" when the VST is opened (added to a project, opening a project, etc.). This is also a per-instance negotiation so you might be able to have two different sets of parameters if you really try.

One recent change, and this is just technical FYI because it bit me in the butt recently, is that when scanning Bitwig now does not call the effOpen but it still calls effClose. Prior to 2.5 it called both. My assumptions (it's worked in every DAW I've tried) lead me to free some memory but in this case it would crash as it was never allocated.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

Understood. Thanks for the reply !

Cheers.

Return to “Bitwig”