What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zacchino wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:46 am Yes indeed lots of Bulk Actions are only available from the Track Inspector.

Support said this was on purpose.
But many on KVR and Reddit agree these Bulk Actions should also be available in the Arranger View's Track Headers (come on Bitwig, this is really super basic workflow)

Hope Bitwig reads this thread. Many issues don't look too much time consuming to fix IMO.
I think you're not going to get much traction on this. It's not a missing feature, it's a feature you don't like the layout of. Big difference. Comparative DAW 101 really, Reaper does almost everything with selection, DP allows dragging accross multiple faders for solo, mute, etc. as well as a key command along with selection to temporarily group these types of things. The other DAWs do various things, but Bitwigs method is not slower, and that's the biggest reason to want a change IMO.

I personally like track groups Like DP has that don't involve selection or track folder groups like Bitwig does, but it's an obvious design choice to attempt to not include too many features that you have to read about in a manual to know about.

mholloway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 am the lack of Undo for changes made inside third-party plugins is a HUGE one for me, too.
I'm not getting this one. I haven't seen any DAW that can undo changes in a VST? I must be misunderstanding this.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:41 amI'm not getting this one. I haven't seen any DAW that can undo changes in a VST? I must be misunderstanding this.
That's true, but I think Bitwig more often than other DAWs steals keyboard focus from VSTs, so perhaps that is creating this impression?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

- Something I've been talking about: middle mouse button settings also changes scroll wheel behaviour.
- Space (Keyboard shorcut) is not working with VSTs when editor is open.
- Piano roll randomly switches to drum mode, working in large project.
- Hard to see clip start and end in piano roll. Need extra line or darker background outside clip region.
- Bar & beat lines should be more prominent, especially in piano roll.
- Group meta clips sticks out too much. I'd prefer flatter design.

original
flatter (with extra gridline)

or I wish I can just turn them off but keep the outline view.
- Some controls resets on double click. while some controls brings up the text input.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 am
Zacchino wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:46 amHope Bitwig reads this thread. Many issues don't look too much time consuming to fix IMO.
There was a discussion in the u-he forum about what seemed like an utterly simple change. Urs mentioned that it was actually a lot of work. So we don't really know what might be easy or not in a given software.
That's actually true and a general problém of development (not only for software), but there are things that should be fast and easy, if the implementation isn't totally, well, wonky. Like everything you now have to use the track inspektor for.
machinesworking wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:41 am
mholloway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 am the lack of Undo for changes made inside third-party plugins is a HUGE one for me, too.
I'm not getting this one. I haven't seen any DAW that can undo changes in a VST?
You haven't seen Reaper yet? :o

Piano roll defaulting to adaptive grid in clips view is also driving me insane. Why does Bitwig remember my preference (1/16th note with adaptive grid off) for arranger view but not for clips view?

I've contacted Bitwig about this and they told me this was intended behaviour :x

Another one... When bouncing (arranger or launcher) my playmarker goes to the beginning of "song". Whats up with that? I hope i can tick something somewhere?

Reefius wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:59 am Piano roll defaulting to adaptive grid in clips view is also driving me insane. Why does Bitwig remember my preference (1/16th note with adaptive grid off) for arranger view but not for clips view?

I've contacted Bitwig about this and they told me this was intended behaviour :x
:lol: :lol: Same here... So annoying. Intended behaviour? Well,.. why not as an option to put it on/off? (i got the feeling that with FR,s in mail they mostly answer with: intended behaviour)

Wow is that still there? :o Truly annoying lol

codec17 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 pm
Reefius wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:59 am Piano roll defaulting to adaptive grid in clips view is also driving me insane. Why does Bitwig remember my preference (1/16th note with adaptive grid off) for arranger view but not for clips view?

:lol: :lol: Same here... So annoying. Intended behaviour? Well,.. why not as an option to put it on/off? (i got the feeling that with FR,s in mail they mostly answer with: intended behaviour)
afaik they are remembered per clip.
along with note preview toggle.
I don't see any good reason :(

They are indeed remembered per clip, but there is no way to set a default setting. It needs to be adjusted for every new clip.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:41 am
I'm not getting this one. I haven't seen any DAW that can undo changes in a VST? I must be misunderstanding this.
Ableton Live can. It's incredibly useful.
If the last thing I did was change the Cutoff knob in Sylenth, then undo will undo precisely that: the change of the cutoff knob in Sylenth.

And so on.
Using Ableton for years, I just thought this was "normal" behavior. Super annoying when I hit Undo in Bitwig and undoes the last Bitwig thing I did, not the last *actual* thing I did.

codec17 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:35 pm Another one... When bouncing (arranger or launcher) my playmarker goes to the beginning of "song". Whats up with that? I hope i can tick something somewhere?
Yes, this is pretty annoying. I can easily bounce 100+ times in an hour when doing sampling work. :bang:

Also, I agree with undo on plugins. I catch myself more often than not, but I always want to do it. Maybe it should work on what you're focused on at the moment? An option perhaps?
-JH

mholloway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:01 pm Ableton Live can. It's incredibly useful.
If the last thing I did was change the Cutoff knob in Sylenth, then undo will undo precisely that: the change of the cutoff knob in Sylenth.

And so on.
Using Ableton for years, I just thought this was "normal" behavior. Super annoying when I hit Undo in Bitwig and undoes the last Bitwig thing I did, not the last *actual* thing I did.
Funny I've used Live for 15 years now and never noticed that,Yeah that's pretty useful. Personally I would love it if they were separate processes though, an undo for plug ins and for the DAW. Maybe by the time Bitwig gets this that's the case.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:13 am
mholloway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:01 pm Ableton Live can. It's incredibly useful.

And so on.
Funny I've used Live for 15 years now and never noticed that,Yeah that's pretty useful. Personally I would love it if they were separate processes though, an undo for plug ins and for the DAW. Maybe by the time Bitwig gets this that's the case.
Yeah, separate process would be good... I use a lot of u-he plugins so am used to doing undo in the plugin itself.

I like that I can undo stuff in Bitwig without undoing vst changes. I'd be happy to have plugin undo if it was separate.

Return to “Bitwig”