3.3.4 available

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teezdalien wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:09 am Other than from a collaborative perspective, what's the point in having/using multiple DAWS if they're implementing the same features/functions as each other, so that you can do the same thing with each?
Well you can dig a new pool with a shovel, though I would much prefer too use a excavator for that particular task. Even though they have the same function (digging a hole), the easy at performing a particular task varies between them.

Same with daws, they may have the same features/functions but the workflow to perform them can be a lot better for something particular you want to do. Soo sometimes your wasting time fighting the daw instead of making music, and if your a multi-daw user you can use the tool that is best suited for what you want to do.

And switching daws make you think in news way because of the minor or major differences in the workflow which can be a good thing for creativity.

Teezdalien wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:09 amOther than from a collaborative perspective, what's the point in having/using multiple DAWS if they're implementing the same features/functions as each other, so that you can do the same thing with each?
Unless you're just recording you sing to a guitar, DAW is not a transparent tool. It influences your workflow, your choices (MIDI vs. audio, length & complexity of FX chains, depth of processing), selection of other tools - software and hardware - you'll integrate into the process.

My music, even if it's in general the same style, sounds different in different DAWs.

Obviously, that might not be the case for everybody, e.g. they can consciosuly and deliberately alter they workflow, choices or setup and "bend" their tools to that. I choose to be "guided" by my tools and this is what I find fun, interesting and inspiring.

EDIT: I only now read your forum signature - in its context, it's not surprising you asked that :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Apologies for derailing this thread... good points raised in relation to my question/s. I get that obviously DAW's are not equal at this point, but it seems to me that many are converging to a point where the feature set is pretty much the same across the board.
I've used many myself over the years out of necessity but I tend to try and stick to using one primary DAW for my work which is Bitwig at the moment.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

And Bitwig is a great choice 🙂
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

daily patcher wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 am To follow up on the question earlier in this thread though, my experience with the S MK2 script is it offers nothing of value over the Moss script and the Moss script seems to work better and have more features.
Thanks - does it include Transport support or is it just for the controller and keyboard functions?

Teezdalien wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:12 am...I get that obviously DAW's are not equal at this point, but it seems to me that many are converging to a point where the feature set is pretty much the same across the board.
Sure. But to get my point accross better - when working in Bitwig, I tend to focus on tweaking loops due to clip launcher & extensive modulation & complex FX system, but when working (even on very similar thing) in Studio One, I'll quickly move to "arranging" stuff AND have it more musical / melodic because of chord track / harmonic editing features.

I appreciate that I could reverse it just using my own will, but if just following the "natural flow" this is how it comes out :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:01 am
Sure. But to get my point accross better - when working in Bitwig, I tend to focus on tweaking loops due to clip launcher & extensive modulation & complex FX system, but when working (even on very similar thing) in Studio One, I'll quickly move to "arranging" stuff AND have it more musical / melodic because of chord track / harmonic editing features.

I appreciate that I could reverse it just using my own will, but if just following the "natural flow" this is how it comes out :)
Same here, song is influenced by the DAW used. for example if that DAW sucks at automation, I will not use them a lot.

Anyone else have that in "3.3.4 pre-release" - some of the text input boxes are cut in half.
I get this both on Windows 10 and Linux (pop!_OS), 1080p screen, 100% scaling.

Music tech enthusiast

Same here, win 10

slyd wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:54 pm Same here, win 10
Thanks, I mailed support.
Please do the same, if you'd be so kind.
Music tech enthusiast

Done....

wrong thread

antic604 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:01 am
Teezdalien wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:12 am...I get that obviously DAW's are not equal at this point, but it seems to me that many are converging to a point where the feature set is pretty much the same across the board.

yepp-yepp :) in FL the focusing order is piano-roll(melody tweaking), modulation/automation system (although not as elegant as the one in Bitwig but quite fun to use it https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... ation.html), arranging, and mixing, so IMO FL is a bit more balanced from this point of view BWS is extremely tweaking oriented

Trancit has just created videos about how note colors(different MIDI channels) can be used creatively in the PR of FL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5V0Y9XkqIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmKDyJLAPNw
dunno FL or BWS is the better one (both ones are great) but they have a different focus for sure
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Bought BWS at weekend (offer came up via email for upgrade from 8 track which I got via one of the magazine's for free) for 250 euros or so

Have to say I'm so very very impressed

I just find everything so intuitive compared to all the other DAWs I've tried.

On top of that are so many woah it can do that moments ! Yesterday was XY instrument containers - I had Zebra 2 HZ, Generate, Diva and J-8 (ARD'd) in a XY with some control via one of my rotary controllers plus element of random on X and Y ! Amazing stuff really

Buckster wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:38 pm Have to say I'm so very very impressed
Cool! What were you using before?
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Return to “Bitwig”