README - For non-programmers with great ideas

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Product almost ready to market. Made with a very valuable coder and artist. So do not be too bothered by someone looking for a skilled developer, after all this forum is not supposed to be a freelance platform. Good bye

I have some (3-10) ideas that I would like to possibly work with someone, but I'd need to find people who
  • Are willing to work.
  • Have sufficient know-how so that things do not need to be explained too much
  • Are willing to subscribe to NDA in order to prohibit leaking of the ideas. The NDA is to protect the situation where someone would know the ideas and then steal them.
  • Are potentially willing to work these in something else than C++. E.g. Rust, Nim.
You can contact me via PM to show interest, and I can see if we can progress.

I'm confident that some of these ideas are, indeed, quite novel. But they are perhaps a bit too advanced for "one-man projects".

I would also very willingly cooperate with some very experienced individuals or a company, but I could offer these novel ideas in exchange.

Get a patent.

If you can prototype your idea from a design that works, you can apply for a patent. If not you're looking for someone to do R&D. If the design is secret and you don't plan to file for patent protection you can bring such a product to market for a short window before your designs are duplicated.

If the idea is the most valuable element but the implementation is simple it will also be simple to duplicate. You will have little time before an established competitor with a competing product emerges.

Most people who talk about a confidentiality agreement do not have a working model. That's an incomplete undeveloped idea that requires further development. You didn't specify.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Hey, we are interested in working with a plugin developer. Budget isn't problem, though, we will accept the best offer.

You should provide your experience by showing your plugin's portfolio. We are looking for a long term relationship, and want to build plugin brand in 2022. We're selling our content site, so we can purely focus on this.

I'm not sure if I can put an email here or if you can message me. Simply reply in this thread and I will check that later.

Let me know, please. Thank you
Vil

We regularly do third party work, so allow me to explain a few things.

It's important to realize that unimplemented or untested ideas are a major risk in software development, thus not only worthless by default but are even known to provoke excessive opportunity costs. Ideas are wet dreams at best, implementation is the pudding. Our trashcan is filled with stupid ideas.

Whenever we decided to work with a third party, it was because they offered us a promising business case. A true Win Win (two wins). This involves verifiable financial potency, actual customers, a communication culture we can sympathise with, and most of all a track record of completed projects (in turn the basis for financial potency). "Ideas" are great for having tea and beer though. Just like the cookies: In small bites, they come and go.

*What sounds like arrogance is just me having endured far too many "lazy guys with a secretive idea" wasting other people's time and money. This phenomenon is particularly exhausting in management heavy software corporates and creative agencies, it's not exclusive to KVR. :)
Last edited by FabienTDR on Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Another must-read thread for non-programmers with great ideas, so you get an idea of what disaster it may turn in to:
viewtopic.php?t=540874
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:41 am Another must-read thread for non-programmers with great ideas, so you get an idea of what disaster it may turn in to:
viewtopic.php?t=540874
I think the idea was and still is very good, just the execution failed. Feels like a beta version full of bugs, luckily guys learned their lesson and delivered usable product with Orb Producer Suite.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I've been researching how VSTs are made and I'm glad that I did; a lot more difficult than I imagined.

I went to a 2 year community college for graphic design and my prerequisites, and then transferred to a private school that had a good computer graphics program. I was expecting to be sat down at a Silicon Graphics computer running Maya (though then it was called Alias Wavefront). Instead, they sat my dumb ass down and we started doing basic programming in C, creating things by using direct calls to a graphics library.

I sucked at it. I really sucked. I tried, but I have a really hard time thinking in that kind of way. I think it’s because I’m wired to think language is a flowing thing to play with and bend, but programming isn’t really like that. Anyway, the moral of the story is, leave the programming up to the programmers. I’m great with any software application, but when it comes to writing code, I am in awe of what those people do.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

soundmodel wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:45 am I have some (3-10) ideas that I would like to possibly work with someone, but I'd need to find people who

[*] Are willing to work.
[*] Have sufficient know-how so that things do not need to be explained too much

I'm confident that some of these ideas are, indeed, quite novel. But they are perhaps a bit too advanced for "one-man projects".
another great example for how it does not work. :)

but i originally came here to say something in the other direction.

someone (years back) wrote somethign like "developers do not need your ideas, they have their own".

i think this is plain nonsense. there are millions of C coders out there who have no clue about interface design, about audio DSP, or about the creative software market, and they couldnt do anything without someones help or without someones request who know about these things.

and then please look at the existing releases and understand what´s going on: there are more than 6500 audio plug-ins now and one third of them are multitap delays and another third are guitar processors based on de/convolution.

so the creative performance of the coder is zero here. if not less, because you can build something like that by copying stuff from free example code, so there was not even much coding work involved.

i am sorry, but whenever i see waves or steinberg announcing some revolutionary new idea, i think to myself "great, isnt that what i invented 25 years ago and already built a rudimentary implentation of?"

new dynamics effects, realtime midi processing, new kinds of standalone VST hosts, ambisonics reverbs, NI kore, i´ve all "invented" and build such things long before someone made a commercial product out of it.

the main work for a coder today is the testing process and the building and deployment process for the various platforms.

and those who think making money is the most important thing in life do not have much interest in revolutionary products anyway. they prefer to give minimal as possible updates with new products to the user every 1-2 years, so that they can charge them for every new bit again.

so while it is true that you can underestimate the effort to actually code something in industry quality, you can also overestimate what is behind the majority of audio plug-ins.

the majority of ideas in todays audio software as well as of code is bought, bought up, in some cases even stolen, and in many cases it is reused multiple times, that is the plain truth.

Hey there programmers and plug-in ppl. I've just read all the threads of how difficult and time consuming it is to create a VST... but I am looking for someone to partner with. I have budget.

I would like to create a multi effects plugins for vocal processing. It does not have to be crazy in any way (visually or technically). To be blunt, the simpler the better.

Imagine CLA Vocals but severely dumbed down with half of the parameters and a simple UI design with a couple of knobs.

Parameter wish list:
Compression
Low Cut
Air (high end boost)
Widen (Doubleing or Stereo Imaging)
Reverb
Delay

If there's anyone reading this that is able to build something like this or can point me in the right direction, I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you
-N

nickdipi wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:13 am I would like to create a multi effects plugins for vocal processing. It does not have to be crazy in any way (visually or technically). To be blunt, the simpler the better.
Have you attempted to use collections of free plug-ins in combination with free multi-effect plug-ins? Since a "project" of effects linked together in a multi-effects "sub-host" plug-in essentially saves the state of that multi-effect ... if you chain more than one of the same multi-effect plug-in in a hierarchical structure you can then define all sorts of filters.

The issues only occur where you need side-chains, feedback paths and loop effects. Such as for example applying a filter or dynamics processing in the reverb's or delay's feedback path.

I started to work on such a project back in 2008, and I had aimed to continue in 2010, but I quickly gave up due to the effect plug-in world being so shamelessly artsy-fartsy. There is nothing but senseless whining about quality and bizarre comparisons to completely unrealistic and unreasonable standards. Simply the idea of opening myself up to "artistic" critique from these sorts of people led me to shy away from the entire concept.

If you genuinely want simple, use existing host effect plug-ins with existing free audio plug-ins. You have to do absolutely zero level of coding effort to make it do everything you could ever dream of.

Most likely that isn't good enough. What you'd then want is something more "refined" or "seamless", without bundling together a lot of different component parts. Therefore you'd be asking for a re-implementation of 100s of components and creating a mountain out of a mole-hill in terms of effort to repeat nearly identically the same results. Let alone if you did want accurate feedback paths, non-linearity, chaos, anti-aliasing filters or higher level UI functions like presets and randomization, morphs and so forth. Not even the best hosts on the market implement this functionality and that is for a very good reason: It is hard to do right.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

So,I have an idea for a plugin. Nothing new, the available products don't have the features I want. Some come close but certain things need to be expanded on. I don't have the time to learn how to write code and since the type of plugin I have an idea for isn't new or revolutionary a lot of the code probably already exists. Where would I find that code ? I also don't have money to pay somebody to develop a plugin right now. Where/who do I submit my idea to ?

My idea is for a guitar cabinet ir loader(like I said,nothing new).

StevenMikel 68 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:42 am So,I have an idea for a plugin. Nothing new, the available products don't have the features I want. Some come close but certain things need to be expanded on. I don't have the time to learn how to write code and since the type of plugin I have an idea for isn't new or revolutionary a lot of the code probably already exists. Where would I find that code ? I also don't have money to pay somebody to develop a plugin right now. Where/who do I submit my idea to ?

did you read this thread?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:39 am
StevenMikel 68 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:42 am So,I have an idea for a plugin. Nothing new, the available products don't have the features I want. Some come close but certain things need to be expanded on. I don't have the time to learn how to write code and since the type of plugin I have an idea for isn't new or revolutionary a lot of the code probably already exists. Where would I find that code ? I also don't have money to pay somebody to develop a plugin right now. Where/who do I submit my idea to ?

did you read this thread?
Yes,I did read the thread and I didn't find the information I was looking for so,I asked about who and where I should look to.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”