What are your favorite non-Valhalla reverbs, and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I'm loving the new Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. It's probably not going to be many people's go-to reverb, but I'm using it a lot myself.

Best parts about it are the note-tracking, which tunes tails dynamically so that ringing tones from different sounds remain tonally sweet no matter what, and its usefulness as a sound design tool. I've spent hours going through all kinds of sounds just to see what will come out of the other side, and it's amazingly good at creating full sounds by itself or a very rich beginning for more manipulation.

.jon wrote:This cathedral in Toulouse is well, epic

https://www.facebook.com/18448685159286 ... 967263347/
That sounds pretty amazing. It also reinforces (for me, at least) the idea that discrete early reflections just don't exist in the real world, outside of some very artificial spaces. There is a little bit of a delay between Levon's clap and the onset of reverb, but the sound that comes back instantly has a high echo density.

valhallasound wrote:

That sounds pretty amazing. It also reinforces (for me, at least) the idea that discrete early reflections just don't exist in the real world, outside of some very artificial spaces. There is a little bit of a delay between Levon's clap and the onset of reverb, but the sound that comes back instantly has a high echo density.
Also, as a reverb guy, the best thing he did was this little tongue click near the end of the video, when he was pausing in the middle of a sentence. I could really hear the reverb "bloom" with that click.

valhallasound wrote:- What are your favorite reverbs?
- And, why are those your favorite reverbs? What is it about the sound of those reverbs, or the experience of those reverbs, that makes them your favorites
PSP stompDelay (as experienced via cmDelay)

Provides a smooth good sounding reverb/delay, enough knobs and tweakability to keep me happy, light on the CPU, packed with presets, affordable

There was a church in our last vacation near Augustusburg (Saxony, Germany). My ex-girlfriend used to be a chorister and she started singing in that church. Sticky.

As far as plug-in goes I prefer Redline Reverb the most. Martijn Zwartjes might be a name some people know, even more so if you know and own Reaktor. For me, it's the mix of sound, ease of use and low CPU hit that makes Redline my favorite.

At this time, in no particular order of preference, I primarily use the following non-Valhalla reverbs:

* 2CAudio Breeze
* Acon Digital Verberate
* Magix VariVerb II
* PSP 2445 EMT
* Softube TSAR-1

Overall, I tend to use reverbs that do not contain an abundant amount of user controls, but enough to tailor the reverb to situation at hand. The aforementioned list of reverbs offer a wide range of variation and are my go-to options.

Other reverbs that I own, but do not use very often, are 2CAudio Aether, IK Multimedia CSR Bundle, PSP Springbox, Rob Papen RP-Verb and Softube Spring Reverb.

With that said, I do own Valhalla's Plate and Vintage Verb. Both of the said plugins receive moderate usage.
Last edited by Silaris on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

I really like the random side of u-he's Protoverb. It's nice to just click the buttons a few times and see what spaces it puts me in.
Image Image Image Image

valhallasound wrote:
valhallasound wrote:

Also, as a reverb guy, the best thing he did was this little tongue click near the end of the video, when he was pausing in the middle of a sentence. I could really hear the reverb "bloom" with that click.
I really liked how his voice resonated, the clap decay was impressive but the natural amplification of voice sounded wonderful.

.jon wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
valhallasound wrote:

I really liked how his voice resonated, the clap decay was impressive but the natural amplification of voice sounded wonderful.
It is hard to hear certain colorations in a reverb with impulsive sounds, like snare drums or claps. The human voice is one of those areas where any reverb coloration comes shining through. No metallic allpass/FDN artifacts in THAT cathedral! :D

Metric Halo 'HaloVerb' is really cheap at JRRshop/Audio Deluxe right now - I recommend it. Very, very low CPU (less than 1% even on a lowly Dual Core i5) and very simple to setup. The depth it lacks in controls it more than makes up for in sound. You can't get uber modulated spaces but it just has a pleasant decay and seems especially good for drums (snares). I'm really liking it and the low CPU use is a biggie for me so will definitely get some use.

However... I got Valhalla Room in the Buy&Sell recently and I am floored. Been using VintageVerb religiously and wondered if Room would be even worth it, but wow... the 2 complement each other very well. Room is so rich, modern and sophisticated sounding. Insane quality.

I'm really liking Breeze at the moment. Wish I could afford the stormier versions;)
Eventides Blackhole is amazing for huge 'Sigor Ros' canyon of reverb sounds... use it a lot.
My TC electronics M3000 doesn't get much use but it's an amazing reverb, just too out of the box to bother with at the mo. Don't read much about it either.
Got all the Valhalla's .... simply amazing stuff.

Got the Lexi PCM/RelabLX480/Waves Abbey Road etc, but don't use them much. Delays are getting a lot of use instead of reverbs. But that could change...

The Digital Reverb rack module in Amplitube is very nice. It's a dense, thick reverb that has lots of uses for me. It costs all of 5 gear points :o
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

valhallasound wrote:Bad reverb: Any concert heard at the Kingdome, which was the old multipurpose stadium in Seattle from 1976 to 2000 (I forget the exact dates of building and destruction). That building had about a 20 second reverb time. Hearing Eddie Van Halen doing "Eruption" in that building produced a hilarious smear of undifferentiated note energy, as about 200 Tinkerbell guitar notes at a time would be blended into a single sound.
Just like the old (now demolished) New Haven Coliseum. OK for a hockey rink but terrible for concerts.

Ed A. wrote:
valhallasound wrote:Bad reverb: Any concert heard at the Kingdome, which was the old multipurpose stadium in Seattle from 1976 to 2000 (I forget the exact dates of building and destruction). That building had about a 20 second reverb time. Hearing Eddie Van Halen doing "Eruption" in that building produced a hilarious smear of undifferentiated note energy, as about 200 Tinkerbell guitar notes at a time would be blended into a single sound.
Just like the old (now demolished) New Haven Coliseum. OK for a hockey rink but terrible for concerts.
Ha, these two posts together remind me of my first real rock concert - VH in the New Haven Coliseum on the 1984 tour. Got scalped tickets from the local underground record store, went with the whole family (Mom, Dad & Big Bro). Glad we didn't get impaled by the @$$hole$ dropping icicles off the parking garage roof onto the sidewalk after the show! :clap:

I'll second the vote for Metric Halo Haloverb - got it as part of the MH Production Bundle, it's a great utility verb that's not ashamed to have a lot going on in the midrange where other verbs go for scooped/sculpted. Also finding I'm using more short delays instead of reverb, even on acoustic/folk instrument recordings.

kelvyn wrote:I'm really liking Breeze at the moment. Wish I could afford the stormier versions;)
Eventides Blackhole is amazing for huge 'Sigor Ros' canyon of reverb sounds... use it a lot.
My TC electronics M3000 doesn't get much use but it's an amazing reverb, just too out of the box to bother with at the mo. Don't read much about it either.
Got all the Valhalla's .... simply amazing stuff.

Got the Lexi PCM/RelabLX480/Waves Abbey Road etc, but don't use them much. Delays are getting a lot of use instead of reverbs. But that could change...
If you like the Sigur Ros preset on Blackhole, you've got to try Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. I just can't stop playing with that one.

Return to “Effects”