Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

freddo wrote:
nenneb wrote:Pljones usually is polite, competent and helpful (although not so much in this thread)
My point exactly!
Not at all. You called someone a dick.
That's A Big Difference with the eventual opinion that someone may or may not have been helpful to your personal case.
Funny how you can see it but not Jo?!
But we agreed i'm incapable, right.

Grizzellda wrote:
the ones that are vital to maintain/grow MuTools' business, which is the platform for new developments.
And don't you think Linux support will help that?
At this point no i don't think it would help that.
Because, afaik, the linux community is way too small.
But this is not a substantiated nor a definite statement.
I stay open towards Linux.

By the way i have this Linux specific question:
Are all audio devices supported on Linux?
Do they all come with a solid low latency driver?

freddo wrote:the hidden sarcasm
Oh sure maybe there was some sarcasm. But for me there is a serious difference between a) some responsive sarcasm on your negative tone (" it will never happen" + "don't you understand English?") and b) calling someone a dick.

I can imagine his sarcasm was triggered by your negative and quite self-oriented attitude ie. you request FR X + you don't immediately get FR X => you rant on the app, the dev, anything that is obstructing the immediate implementation of your FR X.
Like I said, i've seen much of this poor attitude from him throughout this site.
If i count the number of posts where pljones tries to help fellow users i cannot call that a poor attitude.
freddo wrote:Perhaps he doesn't know the meaning of humility?
Do you?
freddo wrote:I believe Mulab has a lot of potential, seriously hampered by you being a sole developer. Not blaming or criticising that point, but nonetheless, it is a problem.
Absolutely. I accept that true criticism. It indeed is a serious issue. I'm aware of that and i'm thinking often about how to solve that. Maybe i should downsize MuLab / MUX ie make it smaller ie less features?

The add-on/plugin idea also is an idea and i have a note about that on the wishlist = idealist.
But atm i'm not convinced of the idea, also for technical reasons. Note that setting up a plugin framework is not a quick thing to do and needs a very defined context which means it won't be the "magic wand" that will realize every FR X, Y and Z.

For examle: Timestretching and Loop Composer arethe top 2 FRs atm.
That would not be realizable via add-ons/plugins.
How long is your FR list?
Much too long for 1 dev.
You won't tell us because you know it's way too long and completely impossible for you to fulfil it.
That's not the reason why i don't publish that list explicitly.
But it is a fact that that list is much much longer than i will ever be able to do on my own, no doubt about that. So from time to time i do a poll.
Still working on the last poll.
Maybe I'll check back in a year or two, see how things have changed, in the mean time I'll stick with Reaper!
If you need something as extended as Reaper then Reaper indeed may be a better choice for you. MuLab will never go in the direction of Reaper.
All the best... :tu:
Thanks. Same to you.
Though i wish you would apologize.
No one is perfect, not me, not pljones, not you, no one.
But should we call eachother a dick then or similar lowgrade insults?
I have a big vocabulary of insults, no prob there.

FR? did I make a FR? I don't recall. You turned it down? Don't know don't remember.
That wasn't the issue. I was simply voicing my concerns that FR's are unlikely to get implemented due to your situation. That obviously offended pljones who then use sarcasm to insult me.

Twisting someone's words to make them look stupid is an insult!!! If you think that's ok then your no different from him! Insults can be made using everyday words without slang or swearing. That's what I see a lot from pljones! But so long as it's done this way it's acceptable to mistreat another is it?

And yes, I know humility, I've practised it my whole life, something very few people I've ever known can say the same. But if people insult me, I will return the compliment.

When I said it will never happen, that's because all I've seen lately is those words, to that effect, from you. Several ideas have been put forth and you have denied acceptance. It was only negative because you saw it as negative, as did pljones. How is it sarcasm to say something that's true and in a direct way. Sarcasm is indirectly slating something. I didn't slate you or your situation, I showed respect for both.

I also say this without malice and with respect and honesty, I don't like your attitude to people on here. Especially regarding situations such as these. You're not much of a people person. No doubt you'll say that about me, despite the fact I know more about you than you do me! You make far more of an appearance here than I do.

Mulab has most things I need but some things you are clearly inflexible on changing. Due again to your situation, which is why I stated that things will never happen. Why is it so wrong for me to state that? It's simply the truth. I'm not attempting to be a troll, just saying it because almost all FR's that are requested get refused or put on the fabled immeasurably long and unlikely to happen wishlist! You yourself have stated that the majority of which will never happen! Because I echoed that, pljones got shitty with me because I'm putting down his beloved music app! Childish is the only word to describe his reaction. That's not an insult, it's an observation of the situation.

Shame, really, I like Mulab, but not your attitude or (regrettably) your situation. These combined mean I can never have things I ask for to be implemented, unless others want them also. Like I said above, It's possible to make a complex app with ease of use and compatible with everyone by allowing much more customisation. Maybe you should consider that?

I'll leave you to pick apart my comments or write some egotistical comeback now, that's what usually happens on forums when people get shot down. I'll check back in a year or two and see if either have changed!

All the best...

PS. None of my comments are meant to be derogatory, they are simply stating facts about observations. This is something most find hard to comprehend as their ego gets the better of them, try to rise above that and see my words for what they are.
:hihi: :lol:

If I remember correctly, Mixcraft also did not work if I plugged the keyboard in after launching the DAW.
(I think plugging in equals turning on, but many controllers don't have power switches anymore.) I assume the DAW would have to check regularly if there are new controllers. Or the call that tells Windows when a new USB device has been connected would have to be forwarded to Mulab as well so it can react.

It is the same with VST's. Some DAW's automatically scan for changes to the VST database when launched, while Mulab doesn't. One has to scan manually after adding a VST.

Oh, oh, oh, fluffy_little_something!
I think, concerning USB-devices you are right. I don't know the technical background, but it should be as you said.

With the VST's it's different (at least to me): I know, when I installed a new one and can add it to MuLab easily and quickly. Cubase for example does scan automatically. On every startup the same known VST's, again and again. And until Cubase is finished, I've almost completed a new song in MuLab. (Well, yes: almost almost!). That's why I think the MuLab way is the smarter one.

I also like the VST system. And, when I turn my keyboard on after launching MuLab (which I do a lot) it is automatically detected. Two clicks and I'm ready to play.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

mutools wrote:Are all audio devices supported on Linux?
Do they all come with a solid low latency driver?
Well of course audio interface manufacturers have to specifically make their stuff compatible with Linux, and hardware support is not nearly what it is for the PC and Mac.

But Linux has audio support built in at a very low kernel level, it seems. I looked at some info on Wikipedia... basic things you should read up on are:

ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) ...this is at the lower kernel level, and, JACK (JACK Audio Connection Kit), or PulseAudio ...and these are at a higher "Sound server" level.

This is directly from Wikipedia:
The "sound stack" can be visualized as follows, with programs in the upper layers calling elements in the lower layers:

Applications (e.g. mp3 player, web video)
Sound server (e.g. aRts, ESD, JACK, PulseAudio)
Sound subsystem (described as kernel modules or drivers; e.g. OSS, ALSA)
Operating system kernel (e.g. Linux, Unix)
Yup, so superb audio performance is available...what is that you said about keeping an open mind? :hihi: :)

So if i understand it right, the average music software user cannot simply check out Linux on his existing system because (too) often his audio device won't work in Linux, right? If that's correct (and i'm afraid it is) then i think it means Linux is not usable for the average user. You cannot expect users to buy new hardware just to be able to use Linux. Taking myself as a test case: I quickly checked if there is a Linux driver for my Roland DuoCaptureEx but no such driver. So i am stuck even before installing Linux. Unless i'm missing something?

Please, control your enthuisiasm! :lol: :lol:

I checked the ALSA website and there may be support for your interface, but if there is it is not real easy to set up. I wouldn't say it is "plug and play". :hihi: :hihi:

Check it out: http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ ... and_Edirol

Yes, in the current state of things, Linux for audio takes some commitment I think. But if MuLab were native on Linux, folks who already had working systems would likely want to try it out!

What it needs is more high quality software that is native.

I still say keep an open mind, Linux has alot going for it. Think of all the people around the world who are using it. It is free and open source...talk about a large market!

Grizzellda wrote:Please, control your enthuisiasm! :lol: :lol:
:)

To avoid confusion: I was just talking from a theoretical pov, i have no intention to install/check out Linux on short term.
I checked the ALSA website and there may be support for your interface, but if there is it is not real easy to set up. I wouldn't say it is "plug and play". Yes, in the current state of things, Linux for audio takes some commitment I think.
Only few ready-to-use drivers + rather small potential user-base + users need to be quite techy to get things working = Difficult situation, imho.

Anyway, i'll keep an eye on Linux.
I'd love to see a real mainstream, open-source, secure and solid OS that is also easy to use by non-techies.

Thanks for your info on this.

mutools wrote:I'd love to see a real mainstream, open-source, secure and solid OS that is also easy to use by non-techies.
:hihi: Sure! Maybe Linux will get there...that is what the Ubuntu version is all about, an attempt to simplify for typical users.

But I get where you are coming from here...keep up the good work! 8)

FYI there's a new OS toward that end Jo described:
https://www.mindmusiclabs.com
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

:hihi: :lol:

Mulab does not detect a midi control when it is turned on.
I use a shortcut key for Midi Setup - hit the key and then Return to let Mulab find the Controller. Not a big deal, but annoying.

Funny, I also have Fruity Loops, which will automatically detect the Controller when it is turned on.

Return to “MUTOOLS”