filterscapeVA: LFO restart bug?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey urs,

just been building patches with FSVA :love: and it seems that the LFO restart option doesn't seem to affect anything; i'm playing with the arpeggiator, and the lfo restarts with every note whether it's set to gate or free - i'd expect 'free' mode to allow the lfo to simply run it's cycles. as it goes, with the arpeggiator running none of the LFOs will run freely. is this a bug?
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

Lfo free mode works fine here :?
Maybe your patch is set up in way that with each arpeggiator step, new note "hits" approximately the same lfo phase? This could happen if both arp and lfo are synchronized to the same measure (1/2 for example). You can try to change lfo speed to find that out.

cheers,
Bart

if you load the init patch and check out LFO2 (for example) - put it in gate mode and the lfo will retrigger for each new note.

put it in free mode, and it also retriggers for each new note, but not in the same way.. it's almost as if when a note isn't being played the LFO is still running in the background but at the wrong speed, because when it is retriggered by a note on there's no discernable way of identifying where it will pick up from.

[i'm using the windows version, incidentally]

haydxn wrote:if you load the init patch and check out LFO2 (for example) - put it in gate mode and the lfo will retrigger for each new note.

put it in free mode, and it also retriggers for each new note, but not in the same way.. it's almost as if when a note isn't being played the LFO is still running in the background but at the wrong speed, because when it is retriggered by a note on there's no discernable way of identifying where it will pick up from.
IIRC that's because LFO1 and LFO2 are calculated per voice (not per "instance" like LFO Global). That little, green indicator of FSVA shows a current LFO phase for last played note. So when you play a new note it starts with a lfo phase for that voice. If the voice doesn't "play" it's lfo is still running in the background. Atleast that's how I understand this. I'm sure Urs will verify that if needed :D
haydxn wrote: [i'm using the windows version, incidentally]
Me too 8)

cheers,
Bart

yeah i thought that was the case, as you can still hear it in the background when playing poly patches, with each voice's lfo running at it's own sync.

it just means that the LFO2 and 1 are pretty much useless for arp lines because each note in an arp sequence causes the retrigger as i described above, regardless of tempo/sync/restart settings

haydxn wrote: it just means that the LFO2 and 1 are pretty much useless for arp lines because each note in an arp sequence causes the retrigger as i described above, regardless of tempo/sync/restart settings
Well, I wouldn't say that they are useless. I guess it depends on what sort of sounds you're after.

cheers,
Bart

well, when i say useless i mean completely un-LFO-like :) - the main issue being that there is no pattern to their behaviour, so they just act as random variation, which is disappointing

Yeah.

If the voice LFOs are set too free, they are simply not retriggered, so they start where they stopped after that note was played last time. It's not like a global lfo, it's rather like a random entry point.

/note to myself: Sync option for voice lfos that behaves like global lfo

Cheers,

;) Urs

:D that would be excellent mr urs :)

Hey, Urs and Haydxn, I think this is what I was experiencing the other day. If you send straight 16th notes through VA, and have the LFO1 set to modulate the filter, it isn't a smooth modulation. Seems I will use global, but I was going to love having three different free running LFOs to modulate the filter.

On the other hand, this has already become my go-to plug in for synth. That arpmodulator......what a thing of beauty.

Thanks so much Urs. One of these days I will stop bothering you.

:) ditto - this is my new baby of joy :) this is the only problem i have with it and even then it's only a little one.

So, I have been apart from my music computer for the past two days due to my comprehensive exams. Yeah, nice, like the day after FS 1.1 comes out, and I have to leave my computer somewhere else so I am not tempted to use it.....

Getting back to FS tomorrow. Oh the joy.

Return to “u-he”