Praise for and questions about TX16Wx v2.

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I have two producer aliases, one for electronica and one for hiphop. My hiphop production is golden age-inspired, and therefor all my beats are sample-based: some using a simple obscure loop, others are whole collages with up to 10 vinyl samples matched in pitch, groove and BPM.

I bought Geist when it was new, but I still to this day don't feel confident using it. I feel it's leading me, more than I'm controlling it. I'd still love to learn to master it though. Anyways I always end up back in FL Studio with it deceptively simple but strong internal plugs Edison, FPC, Fruity Slicer and the standard sampler. I've bought BeatCleaver and Poise, because they looked like easy-to-use software and are very cheap. Again, great products, but I'm still drawn back to my good old Edison + Fruity Slicer / FPC.

Now some would say stick with your weapons, that I probably keep returning cus they already fulfill my needs, that I master these plugins and I'd only confuse myself with new alternatives where everything is done differently. But .......

Darn it. Now I forgot my point after typing all the above on smartphone. Aaarh!!! Well it I know it had to do with giving TX16Wx 2.0 a chance. Well then let me skip to the questions I do remember:

1. If I DL current beta (v15) and try it, is it then very closed to the final version (bugfixes aside)? Are all functions and graphics more or less where they need to be?

2. Will there be good drag-n-drop support? Can I drag .wav files from FL Browser, from Edison, from Audacity, from Total Commander, Windows Explorer, etc.?

3. Can I create mapping preset files (don't know proper term): MULTIPLE different .wav files assigned to each their own note, for example C2-C4 full of different drum sounds and then save tthe mapping as a file, so I can have a catalog of different mapping files?

4. (Inspired by Logic) Does TX16Wx have a slicing command key? So that while you play the sample you can press this key every time you want to insert a chop. Real-time style.

5.Does the app save and load ACIDized .wav header info like Info, BPM, slice positions in a sample. This is one thing I love about Edison. The info is in the file.

6: Suggestion: Perhaps thisis better fitted to the Pro version which I see will feature "Built-in FX". I suggest a bitcrusher very simple and with th only aim to simulate 80s and 90s hardwarr samplers like SP1200, MPC50. I'm not asking for a perfect copy by any means just a neat feature to quickly go lo fi!

I'm sorry in advance for any ignorance, etc. you might find in my post. These questions are exciting and relevant to me.

TX162x 2.p (Pro) could be my future goto sampler if I dedicate enough time to it. Huge congrats on how far this plug has come!
Hardware: M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT-01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE

Software: FL Studio 11 | Groove Machine | Geist | TX16Wx 2 Pro | EZdrummer | Arturia Minimoog-V Original | kHs One | Bass Station | V-Station

Ulrik Sander wrote: 1. If I DL current beta (v15) and try it, is it then very closed to the final version (bugfixes aside)? Are all functions and graphics more or less where they need to be?
I suggest you get b16 will be out this weekend. I've further improved the slicing workflow and other aspects. That being said, featurewise, yes and no. I will not be adding many more features before 2.0 final, simply because I want to get a gold out, and focus on the Pro version a little. The UI is pretty much as it will be for v2, and I think it works pretty ok.
That being said, there will be always be features and fixes further down the road. I try to be receptive to what people want and implement things that make sense as soon as I can.
Ulrik Sander wrote: 2. Will there be good drag-n-drop support? Can I drag .wav files from FL Browser, from Edison, from Audacity, from Total Commander, Windows Explorer, etc.?
Yes. Though some hosts have some quirks with D&D, in general TX16Wx will accept files dragged from pretty much everywhere as long as they are _file_ drags. (And Cubase media bay, which is the one special case I've implemented. If you have a host with a weird D&D dialect, I might implement that too given info).
Ulrik Sander wrote: 3. Can I create mapping preset files (don't know proper term): MULTIPLE different .wav files assigned to each their own note, for example C2-C4 full of different drum sounds and then save tthe mapping as a file, so I can have a catalog of different mapping files?
You can have presets for modulation and controllers. None built for (sample) mapping. It seems that just loading a template program file and filling it in would work better in general for this, no?
Not sure if I see enough work flow improvement in having presets for sample mapping... But I'll listen to suggestions.
Ulrik Sander wrote: 4. (Inspired by Logic) Does TX16Wx have a slicing command key? So that while you play the sample you can press this key every time you want to insert a chop. Real-time style.
No, but it does have fairly good visualization of the wave and slices, and imho fairly quick slice work flow (in b16 - I added some shortcuts and some interactivity. The problem with "hotkey" slicing is (among others) that what if you're playing more than one voice of the sample? Where to slices go, etc?

In the TX, you add the slice manually, but you have per-slice preview etc, so I'd say its fairly convenient.
Ulrik Sander wrote: 5.Does the app save and load ACIDized .wav header info like Info, BPM, slice positions in a sample. This is one thing I love about Edison. The info is in the file.
It loads tempo tag from acid wavs, though the ACID docs I've found does not really document anything about slices? Can you point me to either docs or some example files? In general TX16Wx will pick up loops and cue points from WAV:s, but you results might vary...
Ulrik Sander wrote: 6: Suggestion: Perhaps this is better fitted to the Pro version which I see will feature "Built-in FX". I suggest a bitcrusher very simple and with th only aim to simulate 80s and 90s hardwarr samplers like SP1200, MPC50. I'm not asking for a perfect copy by any means just a neat feature to quickly go lo fi!
I've heard this request before, it might be an included effect. Also, I've considered adding not just better sample interpolation, but also, in the same spirit, _worse_. I.e non-interpolated, 8-bit playback for example.
Ulrik Sander wrote: I'm sorry in advance for any ignorance, etc. you might find in my post. These questions are exciting and relevant to me.
TX162x 2.p (Pro) could be my future goto sampler if I dedicate enough time to it. Huge congrats on how far this plug has come!
Keep the suggestions as well as feedback coming. Its what drives the project ;-)
Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio wrote:I've considered adding not just better sample interpolation, but also, in the same spirit, _worse_. I.e non-interpolated, 8-bit playback for example.
I was actually hoping this would be one of the playback options in the pro version.

+ legacy TX 12-bit of course

makerprofaze wrote:+ legacy TX 12-bit of course
Absolutely!

Did the TX16W store 12-bit LPCM or did it use DPCM µ-255 like the early Emulator/Emax/SP12xx and others? Conversion to µ-law and back is one of my favorite tricks for fattening up drums/perc... at least since my real Emax died. Could maybe be implemented as a per sample effect or import choice?

Guckli wrote:Did the TX16W store 12-bit LPCM or did it use DPCM µ-255 like the early Emulator/Emax/SP12xx and others? Conversion to µ-law and back is one of my favorite tricks for fattening up drums/perc... at least since my real Emax died. Could maybe be implemented as a per sample effect or import choice?
Both original yamaha and typhoon waves are "plain" pcm (though compressed in the latter case).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Return to “CWITEC”