Manually Editing Values

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some knobs don't respond to correctly to manual inputs...this happens all over the place, but let's look at the compressor to illustrate this.

1. The attack time is presented, and limited, in milliseconds, so it makes sense to think you could ctrl-click, type in 30 and have 30 milliseconds...no, it uses seconds as input, even though the maximum attack time is 70.8 ms (Why are we limiting the attack and release times to these values anyways)

2.The Ratio knob is worse...CMD-CLICK and it shows up a dialog box with 1:1...you would think typing in "1:4" or maybe even ".25" would give you a ratio of 1:4...Nope, and I can't figure out what scaling it's using. Manual input makes no sense for this knob AFAIC.

3. CMD-CLICK for manual edits brings up an edit dialog box but sometimes you can't even see what the value is because the text is "-12.000 s", but it's right justified so all you see right away is "2.000 s", for example. Maybe make the text left justified or make the edit pop-up box autoscale to display the entire value/string.

4. There is an inconsistency on how to edit values (KNOBS vs NUMERICAL)...for knobs, double-click reverts to original value, and CMD-CLICK edits. Look at EQ-2, however. Double-clicking any of the numerical boxes allows you to edit it (not revert to original parameter). ***In general I feel that double-clicking should be used to edit, and a MODIFIER+CLICK should be used to revert (Many plugins and DAWS use ALT-CLICK to revert)..Bitwig just feels backwards with respect to that.

Obviously this list isn't exhaustive and just an illustration of the difficulties I have had while manually editing values.

Return to “Bitwig”