Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

chk071 wrote:I neither detest Apple nor Microsoft. They both do their thing, and it is good that we have that kind of diversity. I wouldn't buy an Apple device though, they're too expensive for me, and offer me no advantage over less expensive platforms. :shrug:
Yeah, well there's that too. Their stuff is stupidly overpriced.

I'm poor.

chk071 wrote: I wouldn't buy an Apple device though, they're too expensive for me.
I wouldn't have either, but I was gifted an iPad 2 Mini my wife won at an office party. But I'll but another one (probably an old version for cheap) when mine dies. Android just doesn't have the developers and possibly the OS just doesn't allow much regarding audio apps.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

wagtunes wrote:
Oh believe me, I have no love for Microsoft. But it's the lesser of two evils. It's an easier platform to work with. There are more tools for serious musicians.

And no, my hatred of Apple has nothing to do with anger. I hate them for the company that they are, what they do, what they stand for and for how they treat their customers. My daughter for one. But yeah, she loves their products so she puts up with them. I won't. And since I have to use something or go back to a hardware setup, which has its own headaches, this is the best I can hope for.

In short, there is no technology that I'm in love with.

I pretty much tolerate everything.
Thanks for the chuckle. :lol:

wagtunes wrote: ...There are more tools for serious musicians.
Didn’t know one had to be serious as a musician.

braj wrote:
chk071 wrote: I wouldn't buy an Apple device though, they're too expensive for me.
I wouldn't have either, but I was gifted an iPad 2 Mini my wife won at an office party. But I'll but another one (probably an old version for cheap) when mine dies. Android just doesn't have the developers and possibly the OS just doesn't allow much regarding audio apps.
Yeah, i think Android is kind of hopeless for that. Also, most people caring will be on iOS anyway.

I tried Caustic too BTW. Didn't like it much TBH. But, again, i'm not a big fan of doing music on a smarphone anyway, and i don't have a tablet, and don't plan getting one. Windows on ARM is coming, and there'll surely be a few laptops, convertibles and tablets with Windows running ARM processors soon. I'd think a convertible would be rather something for me anyway, because i really can't live without a physical keyboard on such a device.

All I'm saying is you haven't lived until you've carried a vocoder in your pocket :) Caustic really improved when they added the scaleable keyboard, makes it much more useful on a small screen. There is rarely any necessity of using a keyboard using mobile music apps as well. Anyway, your loss :P
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
chk071 wrote::lol:

How do you say in english? Whatever floats your boat. :P But, in all seriousness, if i had an iPad, i probably would have some apps on there too. With $20, they're mostly a no brainer anyway. But, i don't think i could do "serious" work on it.
I use Korg's Gadget, it is awesome. Wavestation, Odessey, M1 all plug into it, I want to get the Mono/Poly when it goes on sale again and I can budget it. It all sounds damn good to my ears. I have a little Korg wireless keyboard, it all can be thrown in a backpack, battery lasts for days, it is surprisingly powerful. It sounds at least as good as many VSTs I have used (VK-1 comes to mind, lol). It is way less of a hassle than a laptop when you are on the go.

Synth lovers should love iOS, it is freaking wonderful for musicians.
This. As already mentioned. Same tools different workflow. Some people prefer it even. No one is forced to use it.

wagtunes wrote:
Oh believe me, I have no love for Microsoft. But it's the lesser of two evils.
priceless! :hihi:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
braj wrote:Yes, please emulate this next Arturia! It was my first 'keyboard' ever!

Da! Da! Da!
beyond any kind of (affectionate :love:) sarcasm, i find the way this little toy as been included as background of this production, catchy and rather brilliant :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg

...more seriously, i think that a VP 1 emulation (especially) might be at a same level of interest as Synclavier and CMI are ?

Niet, Niet, Niet ?????

wagtunes wrote: Oh believe me, I have no love for Microsoft. But it's the lesser of two evils. It's an easier platform to work with. There are more tools for serious musicians.
Ok. Now you’re just trolling.

So now people have had the chance to play with the new instruments, how do you rate the upgrade?

chk071 wrote:I tried some music apps on my Android smartphone once. Let's just say that i largely prefer running DAW's and plugins on my 22" desktop screen... seemed quite a PITA.

I don't even like controller apps. I have TouchOSC, but, it really is no replacement for physical controls for me. Just no fun.

It's like double perversion. Use virtual knobs and faders to control other virtual knobs and faders. :D

Absolutely. Lemur works for specialized controllers and can be quite fun, e.g., the gravity based controllers. Those are things that knobs aren't really a substitute for. However touch screens are not a replacement for tactile controllers.

Since the screens are mostly physically small, all of the apps cater to that and try way to hard to compensate.

But beyond all of that. What is the point of arguing that you can hook it up to your DAW with midi? Yeah, so what, we've been hooking up synths to our DAW with midi for decades. The reason you go ITB has a lot to do with eliminating the annoyance of that workflow. Just like with hardware synths now your project is saved in two places and you have to go to the trouble of making sure that you restore the state of the "midi" synth when you load your project.

If you like it great, but we're not missing anything. It's not like we just have to become aware of the latest iOS audio trends and then it's "OMG, the iPad is totally the way." I've been there, I know what it means to use external synths, and I only use them when there's really a point to doing so.

I have a friend who's into this, he buys lots of apps for the price of coffee and he talks endlessly about the latest features for interactivity, but he doesn't write any music.
jasonekratz wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Not angry at all. Hard to be angry about something that you have absolutely no interest in. My point was simply that you can't compare an IOS app to a desktop app. They are two different animals and, IMO, for two different kinds of users. Sure, somebody mentioned that there are ways to integrate an IOS app into a Windows environment. But why would I want to go through all that hassle when all I have to do with a VST is download, install and done? I'm lazy. I want to do as little work as possible and as much music as possible. That's why IOS apps don't interest me in the least and they never will UNLESS they make them so that I can EASILY install them on my PC and they're completely compatible with my DAW. That's the only way I would consider one. I mean when there's so much stuff available that's so easy to use, why should I beat my head against a wall with IOS?

Makes no sense at all.
Aha. Now this makes more sense but I don't agree with you ;). First of all, the iPad is a ridiculously powerful platform CPU-powerwise. Seriously. Secondly, you can easily get the soft synth on the iPad working on the PC (or Mac in my case) with something like an iConnectMIDI2+. Amazing device. Thirdly the apps are cheap (assuming you dont count the price of the iPad to start ;). Seriously good stuff here. Korg, Arturia, Sunrizer/Zeeon synths. Waldorf stuff. Moog. Its amazing what you can get....especially around Black Friday when it all usually drops 50%. I paid $14.99 last year for Moog Model 15 which is crazy good.

Not suggesting you need any of this.....just pointing out that its braindead easy to integrate an iPad into your setup like any other instrument and its very powerful.
There's nothing to disagree with. He says he doesn't want to faff around trying to integrate an external synth with midi and audio. Do you own any external synths? We've been doing this for decades, we know how to do it. It's a pain in the ass. Wait until you need more than your little stereo pair then come talk to me about how great it is.

There is a platform utility to to desktop OSes and he just described a part of what it is. You simply don't have that utility on your iPad. You don't. I have one too, yay! Hell, I even use mine occasionally for jams where it can be fun. But to suggest that getting an iOS app in lieu of a plugin betrays that you don't really understand the value of the desktop platform.

ghettosynth wrote: Yes, but, but, but! Nobody pays $150 for FM8. You buy it with complete and it costs something like $6.
I payed 99. and the only other NI I have is Reaktor. Like you don't give any value to Solina or B3, I don't give much value to the rest of the collection. Though I am tempted to think about Form...
I got FM 8 because I used a DX 7 a lot in the past. I recently fired FM8 up, and I really don't get why the majority of presets are playing arpeggios and sequences if I hit a single key. You can't even use the presets without switching that bullshit off. As if they try to hide the instrumental qualities of the synth.
All the Arturia stuff is aimed at musicians and not at "producers". Those who actually sit in front of a keyboard or as in my case an expressive controller.
I hope they put MPE compatibility high on their priority list. I will only upgrade if they implement it...
Anyone intersted in FM8 ? I am willing to swap it with Arturias version. Both can't deal with MPE...

Krakatau wrote:
...or even better : Yamaha VP-1 emulation
I once had the chance to touch a VP-1. That would certainly make me get V 7 even without MPE... There had been only very little around, might be really hard for Arturia to find one...

Just had a closer look at the FX section in DX7 V. You get up to 4 slots where each one can use those effects:

- Phaser (1 or 2 stages)
- Flanger
- Analog Delay
- Delay (+ Ping Pong mode)
- Analog Chorus
- Reverb
- Param EQ (3 bands)
- Filter (3 filter modes)
- Overdrive
- Destroy (bitcrusher and other stuff)
- Compressor

The filter seems to be similar to that available to each of the 6 opearators (with LPF, BPF and HPF modes).
You could also combine two filters in series that use a LPF and HPF to get a BPF with a freely adjustable frequency range (which is more versatile than the fixed BPF mode).

With the filters in each operator, filters in the FX section and also the EQ there you could shape the sound of the FM engine quite a lot.

Not every patch is about having a big amount of low end and the option to add a BPF or HPF to remove some low end is really useful sometimes. Of course same is also true with using a LPF for removing high frequencies.
Having the option to combine FM synthesis with filters is awesome IMO and the amount of filters available in DX7 V (both global in the FX section and one for each operator) is just crazy.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”