ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
soundmodel
KVRian
645 posts since 28 May, 2010 from Finland

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 am

jens wrote:
Pah - that's nothing - the other day I tried but couldn't for the life of me make the Bus Compressor sound like a Fairchild - heck! - not even like a La2a and the latter basically has just a single control - can you believe that?

I guess I'll have to demand a refund!
I consider the SSL G Bus Compressor to be the reference of bus compression, thus it's reasonable to make comparison against it. If it can't sound like G, then it's not interesting? Comparatively e.g. the elysia Alpha can sound like G and even surpass it.

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
2106 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 am

IMHO, the Toneboosters product line is about technology, quality and efficiency.
Beyond the tape emulations, I never once thought the goal was to reproduce
any famous old hardware. If it was, no doubt Jeroen would have accomplished
as much. This is a developer who I expect, either creates or otherwise improves
core DSP tech, I doubt hes overly interested in emulating the work of others.

-Cheers

User avatar
bmanic
KVRAF
8108 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm

soundmodel wrote:
jens wrote:
Pah - that's nothing - the other day I tried but couldn't for the life of me make the Bus Compressor sound like a Fairchild - heck! - not even like a La2a and the latter basically has just a single control - can you believe that?

I guess I'll have to demand a refund!
I consider the SSL G Bus Compressor to be the reference of bus compression, thus it's reasonable to make comparison against it. If it can't sound like G, then it's not interesting? Comparatively e.g. the elysia Alpha can sound like G and even surpass it.
... no, the Elysia Alpha sounds absolutely nothing at all like a SSL Bus compressor. I've used the hardware so I know exactly how it sounds (the plugin isn't all that authentic in my opinion. It struggles a lot with fast time constants whereas the hardware can be remarkably clean at ridiculous time constants).
Literally everything is different about the Alpha compressor compared to the SSL compressor. Transfer function, the way the time constants work, the program dependency, the ratio choices, the "box tone". It sounds and behaves nothing at all like a SSL compressor. I have absolutely no idea how you even got the idea of comparing those two.

The point jens was trying to make was that if you need the SSL Bus compressor sound then get the damn SSL Bus compressor. What on earth is the point trying to achieve that sound with tools that were never meant to be imitations of the SSL compressor?

Also, since when is the SSL compressor "the" bus compressor for everything? There are plenty of people who thoroughly dislike it and it's also not exactly subtle so definitely not at all ideal for everything. :roll:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

User avatar
bmanic
KVRAF
8108 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm

pekbro wrote:IMHO, the Toneboosters product line is about technology, quality and efficiency.
Beyond the tape emulations, I never once thought the goal was to reproduce
any famous old hardware. If it was, no doubt Jeroen would have accomplished
as much. This is a developer who I expect, either creates or otherwise improves
core DSP tech, I doubt hes overly interested in emulating the work of others.

-Cheers
This.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
3634 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 am

chk071 wrote:I actually like the way they do it. No matter which plugins you own, you can always install the (only 100 MB big) portable bundle, and pull the plugins to the folders you want them to be in, and you can also update them that way, just overwriting the existing ones. It also gives you a good idea about plugin locations and full control about what is installed where. Of course, they could also be offered as single plugins, but, then you'd have your download folder cluttered with all the single archives. I think it is better the way it is now. 100 MB should really be "affordable", even for people with limited download volume.
And this. :tu: I've got nothing but praise for TB's way of doing things [right]. :hug:

Especially, no stupid download and register your plugins online apps and no ridiculously looking and functionality impeding, nauseating 3D GUIs. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

MoodyB
KVRist
76 posts since 30 Jun, 2005 from Scotland

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Could someone else running Windows10 and any of the new gui plugins ( I have Morphit & Reverb4 ), and with 10mins to spare, mind checking something out please?

It seems that setting the windows display scaling to a custom value of 120% causes the both plugins to crash when loading in my daw ( Bitwig 2.3.2 here - running on integrated gfx on an i5 7200u )

If I set the scaling to 121% or 119% then both plugins load fine.

Trying to rule out a Bitwig or some other issue at my end before I sent a message through the TB website.

chk071
KVRAF
17658 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Seems to work fine here with TB-Reverb-4 (VST3), in Studio One 3 Pro 64-bit. It resets itself to 100% scaling though, when i remove and reload the plugin. And the rescaling seems a bit flakey, with the plugin window flickering. I don't know if that's normal.

User avatar
ere2learn
KVRAF
1559 posts since 3 May, 2014

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 pm

It seems like a bitwig bug @ Windows Custom Scaling 120% ,any other plugins are crashing it too for me.No crashes @ 121% or 119%

MoodyB
KVRist
76 posts since 30 Jun, 2005 from Scotland

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks to both of you for testing it out.
chk071 wrote:Seems to work fine here with TB-Reverb-4 (VST3), in Studio One 3 Pro 64-bit. It resets itself to 100% scaling though, when i remove and reload the plugin. And the rescaling seems a bit flakey, with the plugin window flickering. I don't know if that's normal.
I get the demo version of SO3 Pro 64bit to crash completely when I add either of the TB plugins.

I am using the vst2 versions though, so I'll try the vst3 ones next.

Any other plugins I have that can freely scale, like Span, Unlimited & LFO Tool work fine.

ere2learn wrote: It seems like a bitwig bug @ Windows Custom Scaling 120% ,any other plugins are crashing it too for me.No crashes @ 121% or 119%
All my other plugins work fine in Bitwig@120% windows scaling except Scaler by Plugin Boutique, which crashes like the 2 TB plugins.

I'll need to do some more testing.

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12691 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Their website is gone, I hope they have not given up :?

Seems to have been a temporary host problem, it is back :)

User avatar
Grizzellda
KVRian
517 posts since 21 Feb, 2015

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:00 am

These are very nice plugs, and the version 4 are super slick, really setting a kind of standard for how a modern plug-in can look.

And perform, of course! Great stuff there, ToneBoosters. 8) :hihi:

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12691 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 am

Yes, I am thinking of getting the reverb because of the shimmer thingy, which is rare. The Valhalla one costs almost twice as much. That's why I was on their site yesterday and afraid they went out of business when their site was gone :hihi:

chk071
KVRAF
17658 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, I am thinking of getting the reverb because of the shimmer thingy, which is rare.
You won't regret. :)

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12691 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 am

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, I am thinking of getting the reverb because of the shimmer thingy, which is rare.
You won't regret. :)
I know, after all he added the shimmer mode because I suggested it to him :wink:

The only reason I haven't already bought it is that, while it sounds very interesting, there is only so much room for shimmer effects in my music, very little actually as I like basic static synth sounds. The shimmer mode adds some sort of "esoteric" character which doesn't really fit into the music I like. I can mostly imagine using it for a short synth intro to a song.

User avatar
Mr. Spock
KVRist
69 posts since 4 May, 2016

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:43 am

I bought R4 as a replacement for shimmer. Didn't work. Shimmer is way more surreal/dreamy and unique. Sold my license but I guess I'll get one again ;)
fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, I am thinking of getting the reverb because of the shimmer thingy, which is rare.
You won't regret. :)
I know, after all he added the shimmer mode because I suggested it to him :wink:

The only reason I haven't already bought it is that, while it sounds very interesting, there is only so much room for shimmer effects in my music, very little actually as I like basic static synth sounds. The shimmer mode adds some sort of "esoteric" character which doesn't really fit into the music I like. I can mostly imagine using it for a short synth intro to a song.

Return to “Effects”