ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
kmonkey
KVRAF
3868 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Can anyone clarify (Jeroen?) what does "No latency" do in EQ4?

There is no info in manual about that (or i can't find it with search function). I mean it's obvious when check that feature then EQ is zero latency. If not then it is 64 samples latency.

But what is changed soundwise with that switch? Does anyone know?

Cheers

pc2000
KVRist
298 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Really like the new GUI. Best tape sim I've tried to date. Way better than the previous versions 2me.

imrae
KVRist
394 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 pm

kmonkey wrote:Can anyone clarify (Jeroen?) what does "No latency" do in EQ4?

There is no info in manual about that (or i can't find it with search function). I mean it's obvious when check that feature then EQ is zero latency. If not then it is 64 samples latency.

But what is changed soundwise with that switch? Does anyone know?

Cheers
I think this was a feature request in the EQ4 thread to turn off oversampling. It should be safe for linear EQ but will increase distortion when using as a dynamic EQ.

v1o
KVRian
1092 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

The new Reelbus sounds very good and very transparent. It’s impressive for sure but I doubt it emulates any tape machine in particular and is more of a general tape character effect. The controls are all parameters you wouldn’t find on a tape machine and the ranges go well beyond those of tape. So it’s not quite authentic. Remember TB Ferox is meant to be a character effect and TB Reelbus is meant to be a realistic tape sim.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10513 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 am

Having spent a little longer with the new Reelbus, I have to say i really dislike the ui. Those thin sliders might work in fullscreen mode, but they are just unnecessarily small when the gui is reduced. All that space taken up for full-named labels, and hardly anything for the controls you actually need to manipulate. I also really dislike the how the modes are displayed down the right-hand side.

It's taking the whole minimalist design to a point where i feel it is in conflict with usability, or at least my personal enjoyment. The newer eq looks and functions great, but this... :?

I still think ValhallaDSP got the balance right :shrug:

Winstontaneous
KVRian
1382 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 am

Anyone else have problems with ToneBoosters v4 plugins crashing Logic Pro X if they are active on master bus when closing a project?
Happens with v4 Morphit, Reelbus & Barricade 100% of the time for me.

DeathByGuitar
KVRist
44 posts since 4 Feb, 2006

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Having spent a little longer with the new Reelbus, I have to say i really dislike the ui. Those thin sliders might work in fullscreen mode, but they are just unnecessarily small when the gui is reduced. All that space taken up for full-named labels, and hardly anything for the controls you actually need to manipulate. I also really dislike the how the modes are displayed down the right-hand side.

It's taking the whole minimalist design to a point where i feel it is in conflict with usability, or at least my personal enjoyment. The newer eq looks and functions great, but this... :?

I still think ValhallaDSP got the balance right :shrug:
I think the V4 plugins are a step back usability-wise. Too much clutter, and things are in weird places. I especially dislike EQ V4's little floating window for the gain controls that mimics FabFilter Q2 for no good reason. I've been on the ToneBoosters train for quite some time but I really think that Jaroen needs to rethink his approach with UI in V4. I just feel like he's trying to do too many things at once. :neutral:

kmonkey
KVRAF
3868 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm

How cool. We are all different. There's something for everyone these days :) You don't like something in EQ4 but Q2 has it. You can use Q2.

I am finding V4 GUI marginal step ahead in workflow and speed of use + screen compatibility. Balanced? You betcha! And even more colors.

Clear meters and graphs. On top of that i am way faster in v4. Of course speaking for myself.

Regarding Reelbus 4 and new GUI also fantastic. But i get the feeling of people which wanted something more in the way of slate VTM or Satin. Because sometimes more real GUI also speed up workflow. I personally look for quick and good sounding settings. V4 provide me that.

Ehehe yesterday i tried Reelbus v4 with default preset tweaked - followed by satin...Wow so crusty sound!!

Regards

edit: i am not following his threads here. Did Jeroen said anything about Busv3 coming to v4 anytime this year?

edit2: thanks for the info regarding "no latency" in EQ. Cheers guys.

User avatar
Rockatansky
KVRist
228 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 pm

bungle wrote:
Rockatansky wrote:So, um, obviously I upgraded right away.

But I too feel that somehow it's an uncanny valley thing with that paradox of the sterile 2D interface and the expected "deep analog 3D warmth" sound of a supposed tape plugin. The interface is so cold and digital, how can anything that comes out of it sound "real"? Has this "Ozone FX for cheapskates" taste to it, dunno. Receiving very mixed signals from that processor.
This post is a joke right ?
You aren't really suggesting that a plugins UI design somehow controls how it could possibly sound ?
The v4 UIs are superb, and. huge upgrade on the V3s
My post was not a joke. Maybe you should read it again. The essence is not: the interface makes the sound. The essence is: the interface doesn't feel right for the feeling the sound should convey.
But obviously you knew that.
Confucamus.

kmonkey
KVRAF
3868 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm

My advice is that people should worry less on how it look and more on how it sounds.

Like i said i get the point and it does make a sense for me and everyone else in particular situation but we are making music after all.

We don't march with our GUIs on stage. Right?

Plenty of different tools for everyone these days.

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
1964 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Obviously he's not going to be able to please everyone with the new UI. No doubt,
there were more positives for the current design than not. Scalability and efficiency
certainly being the main advantages. I personally would prefer more in the way
of visualization, having preferred the original (vector) design for Barricade, with
the cool knee shape overlay. :D I find it disappointing that neither the Reverb or
the Tape Sim have any kind of visualization as well.

It is what it is. :shrug: Being that the whole undertaking is just a pet project for an
otherwise successful developer, beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure If you have a
worthwhile suggestion, he will at least consider it.

-Cheers

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10513 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:14 am

DeathByGuitar wrote:I especially dislike EQ V4's little floating window for the gain controls that mimics FabFilter Q2 for no good reason
I quite like the floating window, except in tends to obscure get in the way, no matter where you move it :scared:

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10513 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:18 am

kmonkey wrote:My advice is that people should worry less on how it look and more on how it sounds..
We don't have to worry about how it sounds, as they sound great. So, now, the few of us that wish to express certain misgivings about the user interface, would like to feel free to do so without other members telling us that it isn't of any real significance :tu:

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10513 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 am

kmonkey wrote:i get the feeling of people which wanted something more in the way of slate VTM or Satin.
Like I said earlier, I think the move to simpler, scaleable interfaces is the right one. I just think that these are going too far, and imo this makes them less useable. There is a middle ground between extreme minimalism and skeuomorphism/photorealism :tu:

kmonkey
KVRAF
3868 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re: ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:40 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
kmonkey wrote:My advice is that people should worry less on how it look and more on how it sounds..
We don't have to worry about how it sounds, as they sound great. So, now, the few of us that wish to express certain misgivings about the user interface, would like to feel free to do so without other members telling us that it isn't of any real significance :tu:
I am very sorry if it came up that way. I was under impression i was clear when i said that i understand feeling with people which want different gui. Beside that in past i did something similar even worse i patronized developers for changing their interfaces...but my opinion did not matter to them because there were thousands of people which liked changes being made.

Ok so now when you bit me can i say same thing?

We who appreciate how it sounds and also how it looks in V4 would like express certain advantages of V4 graphical interface and we would not want it to change because 3-4 users want it so.

You surely don't expect that by repeating you don't like how it looks in V4 company will change their strategy (which people like) made long time before? If you do then it's imho trolling and self entitlement. But..i know you are not trolling.

Which now return to what i said earlier: these days there's everything for everyone. If users don't like it they should pass on it. If users came to this hobby or business for how it looks then imho they are in the wrong position (my maybe absurd but practical point of view).

Return to “Effects”