The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yehboy1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm To the people who are against subscriptions, is there a price that it makes sense? As an extreme, would you be opposed to the PA subscription for $1 a month? If not, then is it in essence not about subscriptions but instead about the price?
In a subscription model, customers are at the mercy of the seller. PA could raise subscription fee at any time, leaving you with the choice of getting out (empty handed) or paying up.

Michael L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 am
samsam wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 am Big f**king deal. Plugins, Jesus.
But f**cking Dad, plugins are Jesus!
Son, I like your style.

xandde1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:38 pm This is actually a good point about PA subscription service. They offer a plugin guarantee: if any plugin gets discontinued or any partner leave the subscription model current subcribers receive a free lifetime license for those plugins.
Now all we need is to get all devs to leave the alliance, and our investment will be safe ;)

Scotty wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 pm I think one approach to managing the subscription anxiety regarding opening older project files would be if the companies that sold subscriptions had an affordable 48 hour pass for the specific purpose of revisiting old projects after your subscription had lapsed.
While that would be nice, it doesn't safeguard against devs going out of business. I'd rather own the software I bought.

samsam wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:43 am Thinking some folks are lacking a few real problems if they getting bent out of shape by an optional subscription deal. Get a f**king grip.
There's possibility that they'll be doing less sales for people who want to buy plugins. Either that, or they raise the prices (the recent new plugins all have fairly expensive prices). So it's not entirely "optional" if they take the route to try "encourage" people to go subscription route.

samsam wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am
Michael L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 am
samsam wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 amBig f**king deal. Plugins, Jesus.
Butt f**cking Dad, plugins are Jesus!
Son, I like your style.
Doggy!
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:22 am
ralfrobert wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 amI think I will make a list of all PA plugins listing alternatives. However, I think it is not a good idea to post a thing like that to the web, as I may get tarred and feathered by PA for damaging their business (and their families, oh my).
If you don't name-calling them then it's absolutely legit in my book. C'est le ton qui fait la musique. Just have style. :wink:
Though i have yet to see their SSL Channel E alternative. Put EQ and dynamics aside i don't know any other plugin which can spread sounds so naturally.

That TMT crap did worked wonders actually.

While we are at it can anyone tell me how to "mimic" that TMT behavior. Simple way. Put mono kickdrum on a channel. Slap PA SSL channel strip and watch on Vectorscope. It rotate and spread sound. Subtly but evidently.

How can i mimic that?

kmonkey wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 am
ralfrobert wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 amI think I will make a list of all PA plugins listing alternatives. However, I think it is not a good idea to post a thing like that to the web, as I may get tarred and feathered by PA for damaging their business (and their families, oh my).
If you don't name-calling them then it's absolutely legit in my book. C'est le ton qui fait la musique. Just have style. :wink:
Though i have yet to see their SSL Channel E alternative. Put EQ and dynamics aside i don't know any other plugin which can spread sounds so naturally.

While we are at it can anyone tell me how to "mimic" that TMT behavior. Simple way. Put mono kickdrum on a channel. Slap PA SSL channel strip and watch on Vectorscope. It rotate and spread sound. Subtly but evidently.

How can i mimic that?
IMO Waves CLA MixBucket have much better EQ and compression. The one from BX sounds to me not different than native DAW plugins: flat and mediocre. I really don't understand why people are so hyped about BX SSL consoles but it's my own opinion. For TMT I have 2098 EQ tho so I don't count this feature ;) (which is missing in Waves CLA plugin).
To emulate TMT behavior you would have to use plugin that would create THD distortion + plugin with random panning feature yet very very tiny amount and TMT is probably frequency/level dependant (+way more under the hood). So probably it's not possible to mimic it without using multiple plugins + automation*

* and it's all just my guess. I don't have any technical knowledge about technology/code used in TMT

How can i mimic that?
Basically any stereo-izer tool. There is the free stereo imager from iZotope, Boz/JST also had a free one, among many other tools notably Matthew Lane's Stereodelta / Dr ms.

How can i mimic that?
Use a stereo EQ. Offset the gain on one channel by a few tenths of a db. Then EQ both channels similarly but adjust the center point of the frequency slightly for each band on each channel. So if cutting low mids cut the right channel by 400hz and the left by 385hz. Cut the right by 3db cut the left by 3.2db. Cut .3db of output gain on one channel. Now repeat these types of random adjustments for each EQ stereo EQ channel. Any stereo EQ where you can freely adjust the frequency and gain (e.g. not stepped) and independently adjust the output gain can do it. Would be tedious though. The goal is to create slight differences between each channel in a stereo pair to simulate the tolerances in components. This will make things sound wider due to the differences and never EQing any channel exactly the same. Kind of like slightly unlinking a stereo compressor to get width.

escalona wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 pm Dirk
...sells plugins at $349
...doesn't know what updates/fixes are
...races supercars on the weekends
Wait. I thought this new business model was to support all of his middle-class devs?

:hihi:

phaded wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 pm
escalona wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 pm Dirk
...sells plugins at $349
...doesn't know what updates/fixes are
...races supercars on the weekends
Wait. I thought this new business model was to support all of his middle-class devs?

:hihi:
Hard to play the pity card when you’re living large racing super cars.

So it’s been discovered that the “personal code” for the $179 subscription level is the SAME for everyone that’s seen it.

Who has a code for something less than $149?

DJMaytag wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:50 pm So it’s been discovered that the “personal code” for the $179 subscription level is the SAME for everyone that’s seen it.

Who has a code for something less than $149?
If the marketing hype wasn’t obvious before...hence why I always resisted PA. I like UA, but PA are so transparently full of it it’s kind of insulting.

Bouroki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:14 pm

How can i mimic that?
Basically any stereo-izer tool. There is the free stereo imager from iZotope, Boz/JST also had a free one, among many other tools notably Matthew Lane's Stereodelta / Dr ms.
[/quote]
Thanks but i tried these. No really i did. It's not just pan shift or phase rotation. Or m/s delay to add spatial effect.

Actually i never tried Matthew Lane's Stereodelta thanks for pointing it out.

Return to “Effects”