Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
WatchTheGuitar
KVRist
199 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Ou_Tis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm
telecode wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm
is that a decent deal for Scaler?
It's $20 off. NFR I'd guess since it's produced by Plugin Boutique.
Plugin Boutique are UK based so should in theory comply with the EU law about software resale rights.

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
1433 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Ou_Tis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm
telecode wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm
is that a decent deal for Scaler?
It's $20 off. NFR I'd guess since it's produced by Plugin Boutique.

When I demoed it about a year ago I wasn't impressed with the scale recognition feature---it failed to identify the clear tonal center and seemed bad at determining accidentals. But it does have a lot of unusual scales and chords, it may have improved since then, and it makes it easy to play/improvise within chord progressions live. I might check if I can demo it again.
thanks. maybe i will demo it. i am looking for something to supplement the chord tools in cubase.

D.Wako
KVRian
916 posts since 7 Oct, 2006

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:14 pm

D.Wako wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:38 pm
Any idea what feature they'll add in Scaler 2? Extract midi part from audio a la melodyne would be nice...
Answering my own question:

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/scaler-2-0-update/1289

Look for the video in this thread above.
What ever!

kommissar
KVRer
16 posts since 31 Jan, 2009

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Looking at picking up Sonnox Elite Bundle and am wondering if anyone know of a better price than Everyplugin which is the lowest I have found at $426.62?

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRian
1302 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Has anyone found PB Scaler to be useful enough? Are there any alternatives available?

Never thought I would think of getting such a plugin, but I think it might help me to improve my chord progressions. Somewhere deep inside I feel: is it cheating? I try not to think of that and I am a believer that technology is there to help you achieve certain things in a better and faster way, but...

User avatar
Harry_HH
KVRAF
3884 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 pm

D.Wako wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:14 pm
D.Wako wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:38 pm
Any idea what feature they'll add in Scaler 2? Extract midi part from audio a la melodyne would be nice...
Answering my own question:

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/scaler-2-0-update/1289

Look for the video in this thread above.
I glanced through these sites, as far as I got all the news in the Scaler 2.0, the most important new feature is missing: the chord recognition by the played melody/Midi-input.
With my background I can do this myself ”manually”, but I think that the idea of these kind of ”composing aids”, is to give new options and ideas.

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2534 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 pm

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 pm
Has anyone found PB Scaler to be useful enough? Are there any alternatives available?

Never thought I would think of getting such a plugin, but I think it might help me to improve my chord progressions. Somewhere deep inside I feel: is it cheating? I try not to think of that and I am a believer that technology is there to help you achieve certain things in a better and faster way, but...
Yeah, I wonder how it compares to something like Captain Chords.
A well-behaved signature.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRist
199 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 pm

I use both. Captain Chords lets you choose a basic progression from a given scale while Scaler's strength is taking that progression and listing out scales that have all (or nearly all) the notes it uses and suggesting alternatives, letting you audition new chords from those scales quickly and building up variations.

Scaler is great for tweaking individual chords, Captain Chords for putting a whole progression together from them and adding rhythm.

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRian
1302 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:20 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 pm
I use both. Captain Chords lets you choose a basic progression from a given scale while Scaler's strength is taking that progression and listing out scales that have all (or nearly all) the notes it uses and suggesting alternatives, letting you audition new chords from those scales quickly and building up variations.

Scaler is great for tweaking individual chords, Captain Chords for putting a whole progression together from them and adding rhythm.
Thanks for the insight. Does Scaler detect chords I play using MIDI keyboard and tell me what it is? Does Scaler not help build a chord progression like Captain Chords?

WatchTheGuitar
KVRist
199 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 pm

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:20 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 pm
I use both. Captain Chords lets you choose a basic progression from a given scale while Scaler's strength is taking that progression and listing out scales that have all (or nearly all) the notes it uses and suggesting alternatives, letting you audition new chords from those scales quickly and building up variations.

Scaler is great for tweaking individual chords, Captain Chords for putting a whole progression together from them and adding rhythm.
Thanks for the insight. Does Scaler detect chords I play using MIDI keyboard and tell me what it is? Does Scaler not help build a chord progression like Captain Chords?
Yes and yes, but they feel a bit different in usage when building the progression though you can get similar results. The 'Captain' package offers a lot now beyond chord progressions though.

quietzone
KVRist
245 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Is Komplete 13 expected anytime soon? Could not find much info about it other than news about the recent NI layoffs. Wanting to upgrade from Select but if Komplete 13 will drop soon, may as well wait for the next summer sale

quietzone
KVRist
245 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:03 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm
Ou_Tis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm
telecode wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm
is that a decent deal for Scaler?
It's $20 off. NFR I'd guess since it's produced by Plugin Boutique.
Plugin Boutique are UK based so should in theory comply with the EU law about software resale rights.
I believe you can transfer Plugin Boutique licenses to another Plugin Boutique account without issue. Confirm it with PB support, but I'm pretty sure it's not NFR.

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRian
1302 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:35 am

quietzone wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 pm
Is Komplete 13 expected anytime soon? Could not find much info about it other than news about the recent NI layoffs. Wanting to upgrade from Select but if Komplete 13 will drop soon, may as well wait for the next summer sale
Historically speaking, Komplete 13 should be out in September/October 2020. If you have the money, better upgrade now, because Komplete 13 won't be 50% off until June/July 2021.

If anyone's interested: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/press-area/

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRian
1302 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:41 am

quietzone wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:03 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm
Ou_Tis wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm
telecode wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm
is that a decent deal for Scaler?
It's $20 off. NFR I'd guess since it's produced by Plugin Boutique.
Plugin Boutique are UK based so should in theory comply with the EU law about software resale rights.
I believe you can transfer Plugin Boutique licenses to another Plugin Boutique account without issue. Confirm it with PB support, but I'm pretty sure it's not NFR.
I have sent an email to PB support on behalf of all interested. Will get back once I hear back from them. :tu:

quietzone
KVRist
245 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:12 am

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:35 am
quietzone wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 pm
Is Komplete 13 expected anytime soon? Could not find much info about it other than news about the recent NI layoffs. Wanting to upgrade from Select but if Komplete 13 will drop soon, may as well wait for the next summer sale
Historically speaking, Komplete 13 should be out in September/October 2020. If you have the money, better upgrade now, because Komplete 13 won't be 50% off until June/July 2021.

If anyone's interested: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/press-area/
Thanks for the info! Will be upgrading during this sale :tu:

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”