Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
mladi
KVRian
875 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:25 am

tasty tatsyn wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:20 am
i really have a feeling, just a feeling some people are not looking for solutions, just nonsense hindrance and creating problems.

maybe i should post the pictures of the Man, Woman and Donkey again.. [not going to, Page 54 of this topic if you're interested]

Best of all is that he probably has his PC not connected to the internet....

.....Really dislikes the UI, thinks sound is not that important, discarded all the nice tips Markus gave about performance/possible future updates [Gui Included], aparently doesn't like One of the 26 color chemes available, thinks the CP is terrible ... yet...
..... shows an awkward interest in Icarus and Tone2 :!: :?: :o

Draw your own conclusions.... (that's what my post is about, not a question of being a happy user of Icarus or not) [ AKA fanboy ]

Sorry for the following text wall....
You are completely right! This whatever is a big PITA and he creeps even deeper into it! :o
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K|LG 34UM95-P|Presonus Eris E8 XT|Focusrite Scarlett 18i20|NI Kontrol S61 MK2|Arturia MiniLab MK2|Stein­berg CC121|Softube Console 1|Steinberg Cubase 10

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2920 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:28 am

@tasty tatsyn: Can it, man! Just can it! :roll:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

tasty tatsyn
KVRist
399 posts since 19 Jun, 2016

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:34 am

Spitfire31 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:28 am
@tasty tatsyn: Can it, man! Just can it! :roll:
:wink:

coffee and.....
:harp: :band:

exmatproton
KVRAF
2632 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:28 am

I like Icarus2. :phones: :phones: :phones:

Whywhy
KVRian
502 posts since 11 Aug, 2018

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:41 am

exmatproton wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:28 am
I like Icarus2. :phones: :phones: :phones:
+1

TheNeverScene
KVRian
689 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Markus Krause wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:08 am
@TheNeverScene;
You are using a Xeon CPU. This processor is a pretty exotic beast and has been designed for Servers and not for the end-user market. It is optimized for massive parallel tasks that a running in an isolated environment.
The Intel CPUs had several security problems, the most known one is 'Meltdown'. It is a flaw in the hardware-design of the cache and branch-prediction that allows attackers to steal passwords. The Meltdown is not a big problem for Intel CPUs designed for the consumer-market like the I7, because there are no (?) exploits using it. But it is very critical for server-CPUs like the Xeon that you are using. Cloud-services frequently use Xeon CPUs and can get attacked. As a result Microsoft and Intel released several patches for Windows. These patches prevent the Meltdown-attack but they can slow down certain calculations of Server-CPUs drastically.
Thanks for the info, Markus. I'll look into this more and if the case, try and figure some sort of workaround.

@PeterH. I figured you were joking, just bad timing in my frustration! :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7703 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Thought this info might be useful for MPE users, copied from another thread:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:36 pm
So now there are a few MPE modes:

"Force MPE" - This is your standard MPE mode, automatically makes +/- 48 note pitch bend, bi-polar timbre through assigning CC74 in the matrix. Linnstrument default Y behavior is good for this. Seaboard users should set Slide to Relative Bi-polar. Both of which send initial value of 64 which is the bi-polar mod zero point.

"Force MPE, CC74 routed to Macro" - Macro basically means the mod wheel. Same thing here. In this case incoming CC74 data gets converted to what's labeled as Modwhl/Macro in the matrix. The modulation range is from zero to full, initially unmodulated at 0 value, like a mod wheel would be (or as the macro knob on screen is), so you probably wouldn't want to use a bipolar mode for timbre where the initial value is 64, as is default for Linnstrument. It makes more sense in this case to switch linnstrument to initial relative Y value of 0, to use the patches as they were designed for mod wheel use. Otherwise you would get an initial highly modulated sound most likely. Or for Seaboard users, it's best to switch Slide mode to Relative Uni-polar (also sends initial value of 0). This mode actually has the benefit of being able to modulate either upwards or downwards for a positive modulation (like mod wheel going up no matter which direction you go). Might be a cool option to have in the linnstrument as well, though with the smaller initial strike zone, it's good to have the safety of unmodulated area downwards when the initial value is set to 0.

There's also an "MPE Auto-detect" mode but for me in Bitwig this doesn't seem to work, so I'm not sure where it's useful, can't speak to it.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

rj0
KVRist
329 posts since 18 Sep, 2010

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Bought Icarus 1.6 on sale over BF/CM weekend.

Upgrade to Icarus 2.0 - $89.

Is the upgrade truly worth that much?

Thoughts?

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2920 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Indubitably, yes!
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

pdxindy
KVRAF
16318 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 pm

rj0 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Thoughts?
If you just bought Icarus 1.6, then v2 should be free for you...

But yes IMO... it is worth the upgrade price.

mladi
KVRian
875 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 pm
rj0 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Thoughts?
If you just bought Icarus 1.6, then v2 should be free for you...

But yes IMO... it is worth the upgrade price.
Not always free! Here are the details again:
- Customers who purchased Icarus1 through our own webshop (www.tone2.com) after April the 1st get the upgrade for free.

- Customers who purchased Icarus1 through a 3rd party reseller between April the 1st and November the 29th 16:00 get the upgrade for free.

- Customers who purchased Icarus1 through a 3rd party reseller after November the 30th 16:00 through a 3rd party reseller will be able to ugrade for the difference price.

- Icarus2 will not be distributed through a 3rd party reseller

- Icarus2 will be the final synthesizer that i will release, since i have health problems and it is not longer economic for us to develop new products. After this one there will be only free updates and soundsets
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K|LG 34UM95-P|Presonus Eris E8 XT|Focusrite Scarlett 18i20|NI Kontrol S61 MK2|Arturia MiniLab MK2|Stein­berg CC121|Softube Console 1|Steinberg Cubase 10

Cinebient
KVRAF
4442 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:00 am

Started to demo and i must say it is awesome. I would say worth the upgrade price (at least for me).

tristan-
KVRian
520 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:52 am

Is there any user preset zone/preset exchange? looks like the only way to get new sounds is by paying lots of money?

Markus Krause
KVRist
350 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:21 am

It is possible to build own soundsets. Icarus2 has an open patch format. The sounds as well as the wavetables are stored in fxp files within Icarus_sounds. It is also possible to import and export wavetables in wav format.

Icarus2 does come with a random-button. It allows you to create an infinite number of new patches. In v2.1 the random-button will be enhanced further so that it can create also complex patches.

There are also a couple of Soundsets available from 3rd party designers. I can recommend this one:
https://www.patchpool.net/tone2_synths.html

If there is demand i can create a section in our forum where users can share their own patches

Markus
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

tatanka
KVRian
1282 posts since 13 Jan, 2014

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:28 am

But if I get it right at the moment it is not possible to save/load patches for any oscillator like you can with Electra 2 or do I miss something ?

Return to “Instruments”