Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

So what if a synth takes a few seconds to load, I have plenty that take up to 10 seconds to load, i'm not in a rush, 10 seconds isn't the difference between me using and not using a product. My PC is a bit older, and needs the time to load, so be it, I accept it and big deal, and I don't care if it tries to phone home, then realises it can't then loads anyway, that's no big deal either, it's the security of the product and it works.

tbh I was getting more worried that this hadn't been mentioned sooner, wouldn't be a T2 thread at KVR without someone starting it off. And yes I am a complete T2 fanboy, have been for a long time, the facts speak for themselves, the synths and effects they make are a joy to use. E2 and Saurus were my go to's for ages , now I find myself using Icarus more and more, and now i'll probably start using I2 more.

Filterbank 3, god knows how old it is, gets used daily, as does bifilter 2, (I wish they had internal gates!!!)

I definitely need to go to a single large monitor , as I am struggling on my 2 smaller ones with the font sizes tbh, my only issue, but that's as i'm using old monitors. Most GUI's these days are better , larger, was the reason I never got Avenger, as I simply couldn't read the fonts at all. My eyes arent the best anymore.

CPU use for T2 synths is also something I am never short of amazed at, it's so low for such complex patches. Take E2 for instance, 3 layers, 3 oscilators all detuned loads of reverb, loads of delay, modulation on the filters etc etc, and the CPU hit is minimal. Very impressive programming tbh.

I think Markus deserves to ease back on his workload, and just keep things ticking over. As much as I beg him to bring out Filterbank 4 (lol) it's a LOT of work, and I know his health has taken a turn for the worse, so I wish him and all the T2 crew a happy christmas and thanks for bringing I2 to life :)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

@Levzi
The loading times of Icarus2 in general seem to be very low for a complex product like Icarus2.
Currently the user TheNeverScene is the only one who experiences a bad performance. He is using an exotic Intel Xeon CPU that has been designed for Servers and not for the end-user market. These CPUs have a design flaw which can cause a slow performance under certain conditions (explanation above). Since it is a hardware problem it can not be solved with software.

So far there a no serious problems known in Icarus2. It is one of our smoothest releases ever. No matter what garbage is written here on kvr by a couple of trolls our support-statistics show that the synth is working very well and relieable

Have a nice weekend!
Markus

A stupid question but will the v2 demo override my current v1.6 if i install it?

@Markus: True. some plugs like Ozone or Replika take ages to load for “next to nothing“, and if i remember correctly the oberhausen synth demo had atrocious loading times aswell, again for an extremely simple synth. Not trying to bash these products, i just want to say that i'm usually sensitive to this but i haven't even noticed I(2) loading times (in a bad way) at all.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 am @Markus: True. some plugs like Ozone or Replika take ages to load for “next to nothing“, and if i remember correctly the oberhausen synth demo had atrocious loading times aswell, again for an extremely simple synth. Not trying to bash these products, i just want to say that i'm usually sensitive to this but i haven't even noticed I(2) loading times (in a bad way) at all.
Not only that but some also need the same time if i remove them (Falcon and all it´s instruments are the worst here)....but in general i feel no loss in my life if i wait some seconds more. :wink:

Yes, but in Ozone you even have to wait again each time you open up the already loaded plugin GUI. I still use it nevertheless, but it would be loading instantly without causing any hickups if it was done by Fabfilter, or some other companies that know how (or care) to program more efficiently.
Sorry for the OT
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Cinebient wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:02 am A stupid question but will the v2 demo override my current v1.6 if i install it?
If you are on pc and want to test the v2 demo while keeping v1.6 full select a directory like c:/icarus2test as location

If you are on mac you need to run the installer of v1.6 again do downgrade from v2

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:50 am Thanks for nothin' @PeterH....nice one.

@Hanz Meyzer I don't have any realtime virus checking enabled that I know of, but I'll check. I'm pretty sure everthing there is set to manual. I'll check. I know it's something on my end, just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help!
Please take it with a grain of humor ... as I said I myself have often found to be a OSI Layer 8 problem ;-)

But I hope - because you have mentioned using Bitwig - you have read my tipp about plugin isolation as well. As I said in my previous post I recommend the "Together" mode because from what I have experienced it is the fastest mode available.

Then let me add something - All Synths that rely on sample resources are a bit slower than those which come without samples. Approach is to put the sample content on the SSD ... but I think this is common sence and not worth a tipp.

] Peter:H [

If there's a loading time problem then the context should be described, the context that warrants fast loading times. Maybe you're on a stage and the way the set is set up you have to load midway a synth, and it takes some time. OTOH, if you're in a studio or even better, at home, then there's basically no rush.

i really have a feeling, just a feeling some people are not looking for solutions, just nonsense hindrance and creating problems.

maybe i should post the pictures of the Man, Woman and Donkey again.. [not going to, Page 54 of this topic if you're interested]

Best of all is that he probably has his PC not connected to the internet....

.....Really dislikes the UI, thinks sound is not that important, discarded all the nice tips Markus gave about performance/possible future updates [Gui Included], aparently doesn't like One of the 26 color chemes available, thinks the CP is terrible ... yet...
..... shows an awkward interest in Icarus and Tone2 :!: :?: :o

Draw your own conclusions.... (that's what my post is about, not a question of being a happy user of Icarus or not) [ AKA fanboy ]

Sorry for the following text wall....

tasty tatsyn wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:20 pm i really have a feeling, just a feeling some people are not looking for solutions, just nonsense hindrance and creating problems.

maybe i should post the pictures of the Man, Woman and Donkey again.. [not going to, Page 54 of this topic if you're interested]

Best of all is that he probably has his PC not connected to the internet....

.....Really dislikes the UI, thinks sound is not that important, discarded all the nice tips Markus gave about performance/possible future updates [Gui Included], aparently doesn't like One of the 26 color chemes available, thinks the CP is terrible ... yet...
..... shows an awkward interest in Icarus and Tone2 :!: :?: :o

Draw your own conclusions.... (that's what my post is about, not a question of being a happy user of Icarus or not) [ AKA fanboy ]

Sorry for the following text wall....
You are completely right! This whatever is a big PITA and he creeps even deeper into it! :o
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I like Icarus2. :phones: :phones: :phones:

exmatproton wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm I like Icarus2. :phones: :phones: :phones:
+1
Best
YY

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 am @TheNeverScene;
You are using a Xeon CPU. This processor is a pretty exotic beast and has been designed for Servers and not for the end-user market. It is optimized for massive parallel tasks that a running in an isolated environment.
The Intel CPUs had several security problems, the most known one is 'Meltdown'. It is a flaw in the hardware-design of the cache and branch-prediction that allows attackers to steal passwords. The Meltdown is not a big problem for Intel CPUs designed for the consumer-market like the I7, because there are no (?) exploits using it. But it is very critical for server-CPUs like the Xeon that you are using. Cloud-services frequently use Xeon CPUs and can get attacked. As a result Microsoft and Intel released several patches for Windows. These patches prevent the Meltdown-attack but they can slow down certain calculations of Server-CPUs drastically.
Thanks for the info, Markus. I'll look into this more and if the case, try and figure some sort of workaround.

@PeterH. I figured you were joking, just bad timing in my frustration! :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Thought this info might be useful for MPE users, copied from another thread:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:36 pm So now there are a few MPE modes:

"Force MPE" - This is your standard MPE mode, automatically makes +/- 48 note pitch bend, bi-polar timbre through assigning CC74 in the matrix. Linnstrument default Y behavior is good for this. Seaboard users should set Slide to Relative Bi-polar. Both of which send initial value of 64 which is the bi-polar mod zero point.

"Force MPE, CC74 routed to Macro" - Macro basically means the mod wheel. Same thing here. In this case incoming CC74 data gets converted to what's labeled as Modwhl/Macro in the matrix. The modulation range is from zero to full, initially unmodulated at 0 value, like a mod wheel would be (or as the macro knob on screen is), so you probably wouldn't want to use a bipolar mode for timbre where the initial value is 64, as is default for Linnstrument. It makes more sense in this case to switch linnstrument to initial relative Y value of 0, to use the patches as they were designed for mod wheel use. Otherwise you would get an initial highly modulated sound most likely. Or for Seaboard users, it's best to switch Slide mode to Relative Uni-polar (also sends initial value of 0). This mode actually has the benefit of being able to modulate either upwards or downwards for a positive modulation (like mod wheel going up no matter which direction you go). Might be a cool option to have in the linnstrument as well, though with the smaller initial strike zone, it's good to have the safety of unmodulated area downwards when the initial value is set to 0.

There's also an "MPE Auto-detect" mode but for me in Bitwig this doesn't seem to work, so I'm not sure where it's useful, can't speak to it.

Return to “Instruments”