Unloved synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA 2 Aparillo ArcSyn BioTek 2 Carbon Electra Codex Wavetable Synth Cypher2 Hybrid 3 Strobe2 TAL-Mod

Korg Legacy Collection - I’d use them more often if I could read them. I don’t want to think that Korg has abandoned them, but they have been totally silent for 2 years on what their plans for them are.

I have a feeling they haven't. It just takes time.

Examigan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 am I have a feeling they haven't. It just takes time.
For sure, and I'm not expecting that a significant update happens overnight - I just wish they would do something other than remain completely silent on all channels of communication.

folderol wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:09 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 am
0degree wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Eirikur wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm Arcsyn is my go-to synth. It just sounds good to me. I seriously start out with some quirky inspiring instrument and then decide that I want the sound quality I'd get with Arcsyn.
ArcSyn indeed sounds amazing but the provided skins are IMO horrible :?
It’s not going to win any beauty contests, but it’s clear and well laid out.
No interest in pretty graphics. If a synth sounds good and is user friendly that's all that matters to me.
It’s... not that great in that respect either. OK at best. Not particularly intuitive but learnable and the sound is there.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Omnisphere. :)

(No, but seriously: I feel like a lot of people pass over it because it's cool to hate on the big guys. ...It's quite possibly the best synth ever made, hard or soft, but it gets a lot of grief for being on top.)

Strobe 2. At least in my circle, it gets a heaping pile of hate, and I can't really understand why: it sounds "good enough," the modulation matrix is really unique, and there are plenty of interesting corners of the synth to explore.

Roland Cloud. Honestly, I understand the hate, here. ...but: get over it. They sound great. It's a huge value-for-money.

Codex. I think I've only ever heard *one* other person say they liked this synth (but then they stopped using it within like a week). It's one of my most favorite wavetable synths. Sure: it's not "crisp" like Serum. ...but that's just the tone of it: it's dark. But IMO it's enriched by it's limited scope. ...and it has some insanely creative wavetables in it, that you can morph between. Really interesting synth, I'm always getting excellent old-school sounds out of it.

cptgone wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:09 pm I loved Kubik, but couldn't get it to work on my current PC.
Me neither. :-( Are there any secret tricks, some bit bridge that people know to work specifically with this synth or something? Reapers own bitbridge won't work for some reason, and Reaper after freezing up attempting to scan it now refuses to acknowledge its existence.

e-crooner wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:04 pmI don't believe in conspiracies, so when most people don't like a synth, there are probably good reasons for that.
Neither do I but I definitely understand that hype always beats reality these days, so it pays to find out exactly why something is so loved or unloved before you make your own decision about it.
0degree wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 pmArcSyn indeed sounds amazing but the provided skins are IMO horrible :?
Agreed. Even the SatyaTunes one is very ordinary. I want to make one of my own but I am struggling to find the time. With a better GUI, ArcSyn would have a lot more appeal, I reckon.
e-crooner wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pmAnyway, I don't think that logic applies here. It's not that people don't know plugins that are not very popular. They are always introduced here on KVR for instance. Many people will try the demos, but for some reasons most just won't buy them.
I disagree. I've already looked at half-a-dozen synths mentioned in this thread that I've never looked at before and I'm only half-way through. It's really easy to miss a thread around here. e.g. This one's been going for almost a week before I noticed it. If a thread is done and dusted in a few days, it's likely most people will never see it.
tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 amArcSyn's dark skin is fine...
No, it's not. There is no differentiation between different sections which makes it hard to see what some of the controls belong to, especially around the oscillators. It needs to have different sections separated more, both spatially and with some kind of graphical boundary, so that you don't have to stop and think when you are trying to do something. And why is Unison below the preset window, not over on the left side like all the other global parameters? They seem like small things but they sometimes stop me dead in my tracks when I am working, which is not good.
folderol wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:08 amThese {cough} mature {cough} eyes can't handle dark themes at all - serious eye strain and headaches :(
I think my 61 year old eyes are probably older than yours and I find the opposite. It's all about the environment you work in. I work in a fairly dark space and always keep the blinds drawn and the hatch closed to minimise reflections on my screen, so dark interfaces work for me. Windows 10's dark theme has been a Dogsend for me, especially since they added it to Explorer.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:59 pmI also will add Carbon Electra to the list. Very capable and very distinctive sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qruko7OG3TU
The fact he says "it's now good for all kinds of genres" makes me think he has no idea what he's talking about. I tried the demo once and was not impressed by it at all. It came across as just another synth with nothing special to make it worth owning.

Anyway, I'm thinking we need to start a proper ArcSyn appreciation thread so I'll go and do that now.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 am I think my 61 year old eyes are probably older than yours and I find the opposite. It's all about the environment you work in. I work in a fairly dark space and always keep the blinds drawn and the hatch closed to minimise reflections on my screen, so dark interfaces work for me. Windows 10's dark theme has been a Dogsend for me, especially since they added it to Explorer.
Not far behind you, and I would far rather have a dark theme than the retina burning interfaces that we’ve all had to get used to. Back in the day just about everything had a dark background, but the growth of personal computers dictated that we all needed to stare at something with a blinding white background.

Set up dark mode right and it’s a far better viewing experience than the standard blinding white view.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:37 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 am I think my 61 year old eyes are probably older than yours and I find the opposite. It's all about the environment you work in. I work in a fairly dark space and always keep the blinds drawn and the hatch closed to minimise reflections on my screen, so dark interfaces work for me. Windows 10's dark theme has been a Dogsend for me, especially since they added it to Explorer.
Not far behind you, and I would far rather have a dark theme than the retina burning interfaces that we’ve all had to get used to. Back in the day just about everything had a dark background, but the growth of personal computers dictated that we all needed to stare at something with a blinding white background.

Set up dark mode right and it’s a far better viewing experience than the standard blinding white view.
Pretty far behind but i agree.
People actually complained about logic pro x dark scheme. :?
I personally preferred the little darker version pre 10.3 refresh, and would absolutely love a FCPX color scheme LPX.

@BONES I very much doubt your 61 year old eyes are older than my 71 year old ones (in one week) and 10 years at this point makes a lot of difference. Still, I consider myself lucky. I know people of a similar age who are now nearly blind. However, each to his or her own.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:19 pm Wiggle. A real gem but rarely see any comments. And when I do, it's mostly whining and complaining.
Complete CPU hog wasn't it ?
Examigan wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 am I thought Helix would have been more popular. I don't think it's being developed anymore but is still for sale.
Had an awesome sound as I remember, when it was freeware, but then it went payware and the GUI was "improved" but still horrible to use.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Bad GUI for sure, but possibly the best trade off ever in a synth for sound/ CPU use.

folderol wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 am@BONES I very much doubt your 61 year old eyes are older than my 71 year old ones (in one week) and 10 years at this point makes a lot of difference. Still, I consider myself lucky. I know people of a similar age who are now nearly blind. However, each to his or her own.
You definitely win that one. I'm actually really lucky with my eyes - even though I've spent 10-12 hours a day in front of a computer screen for the last 25 years, I still don't need glasses.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 am
tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 amArcSyn's dark skin is fine...
No, it's not. There is no differentiation between different sections which makes it hard to see what some of the controls belong to, especially around the oscillators. It needs to have different sections separated more, both spatially and with some kind of graphical boundary, so that you don't have to stop and think when you are trying to do something. And why is Unison below the preset window, not over on the left side like all the other global parameters? They seem like small things but they sometimes stop me dead in my tracks when I am working, which is not good.
Then contact the dev. He is very responsive and open to suggestions. I have had email conversations with David Cook (the dev) and he is open to improving the GUI:

https://www.spcplugins.com/support

Return to “Instruments”