Ovox update/ waves 11 and windows 7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know that windows 7 is no longer technically supported by waves. That being said I have the full diamond bundle, flow motion, and the release version of OVox running fine on my win7 system. I updated ovox very excitedly so I could play with the midi out feature, and now it crashes on start. This is with any format of the plugin and the standalone.

I was wondering if anyone here has the updated version running on windows 7 so I could try and figure out what is wrong on my end if so. I rolled it back to the release version and that works fine still so I know there must be a change somewhere that’s causing problems. Some of the v11 stuff isn’t happy running in my old v1 version of Bitwig either. In cubase (my main daw) everything works great though.

I’m mostly just curious who if anyone is running all the most up to date waves stuff on windows 7. Honestly I would be perfectly happy with just Ovox and flow motion working. Everything else was fine at v10 and I can live without the new R series graphics.

Thanks
JJ
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

So nobody here has the update of Ovox running on windows 7?

Okay so I’ve expanded the question to be more “ are you running Waves v11 on windows 7 and are you having issues?” If you are running it fine, did you have to do anything to make that happen? If you are having issues, what are they and do you know what is causing them.

Waves, of course, very cordially told me that I shouldn’t be using v11 on win7 and gave me the original ovox installer. I’m just curious if anyone has a massive amount of up to date v11 stuff including instruments and ovox running smoothly.

Alternatively, how much of a pain in the balls is it to upgrade an existing windows 7 install to windows 10. Windows 10 pro licenses are nothing on eBay theses days. I’m just worried about having to reinstall or reauthorize a ton of stuff.

waves tech support is rad.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 am waves tech support is rad.
Can't disagree with that. 8)

I have three or four Waves v11 plug-ins on Win7, and while I keep getting the "not supported" message when I update them, I haven't encountered anything like what you're experiencing. Then again, I think all of my v11 plug-ins are really just v11 versions of stuff that also had a v10 (or even earlier) version. As far as I know, Ovox is new for v11, so Waves may have coded it in a way that causes problems on Win7. If they dumped any legacy code when updating the plug-in, that may be what's causing your problem.

And for what it's worth, you don't have to buy a Win10 license if you want to upgrade from Win7. The upgrade is still free and available from Microsoft (though they don't advertise it). I upgraded an Acer Win7 machine to Win10 just last week, and a Dell the week before that. And if you installed Win7 from your own DVD-ROM, you're in even better shape than machines that came with it pre-installed. But either way, it's still free. That said, you will have to re-authorize a ton of stuff. And if you want to do the upgrade properly, you'd even have to re-install everything, and then re-authorize it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I wouldn’t recommend running V11 in Windows 7. If you’re running 7 because you have an older computer then I also wouldn’t recommend getting a new plugin as they’d be too CPU intensive. If on the hand it’s just lifestyle choice, for whatever reason, it still wouldn’t be a good idea.

Hey OP,
Did you get Ovox working in Win7?
ImageImageImageImage

Yeah. Waves hooked it up. The original release worked fine from the get go. I tried to update for MIDI out and it started crashing. Then my man at Waves worked some magic and everything is great. I think they may be killing some of the win 7 stuff on purpose. I dunno. I’ll do an upgrade once I find out what the hell NI is doing. Then it won’t matter. But as vst3 everything worked in v11. In Bitwig 1 and some vst2 only stuff I have, it was a bit crashy. I think it was something with the sand boxing and the graphics.

Yeah I’m good though.

That is cool they helped you out. They must be fielding a lot of calls for Win7.
I totally want it but this is scaring me off at the moment.
Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:57 pm I think they may be killing some of the win 7 stuff on purpose.
Yea it annoys me they can get away with having Win10 right in the system requirements.
Its cool they are helping the transition, but with these big changes it seems like a sure thing the plugins just wont work on Win7 at all soon.
ImageImageImageImage

Yeah. They are trying to lighten the load of supporting people who want to just keep the stuff they have working. I had version 9 running for damn near a decade before they released anything that tickled my fancy and made me update. As of now I just left the diamond bundle at version 10 and my 3 v11 plugins are working fine. They have a genuinely friendly and helpful support staff though. I’ve only ever needed them a couple times, but they have always solved the problem within a day.
If I wasn’t so busy working I would try a full update, but I don’t have the time for anything to go wrong.
I may try it on my laptop which has almost all the same software on it just as a test.

I would put money on there being a pretty small window where they will be releasing new stuff that works on windows 7 or earlier platforms though.

So how can I get ovox v11 working on my win 7?

I would think at this point the long-term benefits of upgrading to 10 over 7 would surely be worth it for most people. Performance on every task is markedly slower than 7. Win 10 makes smarter use of ram is less of a resource hog. Just don't install the silly cortana thing and everything else is much better.

officialazm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:30 am So how can I get ovox v11 working on my win 7?
The original release version had no issues on my system and it was w10 only. The update was what screwed things up. I asked the support guy for an installer for the original version, and he sent me an offline installer that was for a version that worked on w7 and also had midi out. He was super cool about it. I thought I was just getting the original release version again. It turned out that I got a one off update version. I would suggest speaking with support. They are very helpful.

Return to “Effects”