Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
simmo75
KVRAF
2121 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:17 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm
monomox wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm
chk071 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm
:D

Thought it might have been a typo, but, you never know... I haven't paid much attention to the more recent musical genres. :)
I haven't either since that whippersnapper came along moving his pelvis in a suggestive manner, it's been all downhill since then
:clown:
Yeah it’s been a while since This Is America

Back on a toilet tip, mostly into plip plop
Hip Hop has been around since the late 70’s...
How old are you guys? ;)

User avatar
WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
1890 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

simmo75 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:17 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm
monomox wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm
chk071 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm
:D

Thought it might have been a typo, but, you never know... I haven't paid much attention to the more recent musical genres. :)
I haven't either since that whippersnapper came along moving his pelvis in a suggestive manner, it's been all downhill since then
:clown:
Yeah it’s been a while since This Is America

Back on a toilet tip, mostly into plip plop
Hip Hop has been around since the late 70’s...
How old are you guys? ;)
Mentally, still stuck at 15 unfortunately

User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
11835 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm

The new IRCAM Lab TS2 is now available as a free upgrade for all current TS owners. The download is available at the top of our page:

https://www.jrrshop.com/ircam-lab-ts

Eclectus
KVRist
259 posts since 1 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:08 pm

............
Last edited by Eclectus on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki
KVRAF
2375 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 am

Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm


I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
oh, so PA strikes again. i'm trying to be less hateful of PA because some people accused me i'm biased

thanks for the insight

chk071
KVRAF
24697 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 am

Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Ploki wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am
DS Thorn does much more, but its a specific synth.
Oberhausen is a decent emu of Oberheim SEM.
They don't really compare imo.
i'd take Thorn in this shootout.
I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

paolostylo
KVRist
242 posts since 10 May, 2019 from Germany

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 am
Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Ploki wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am
DS Thorn does much more, but its a specific synth.
Oberhausen is a decent emu of Oberheim SEM.
They don't really compare imo.
i'd take Thorn in this shootout.
I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
In the Nineties I worked with a Roland Jupiter-8, a Juno-106, an SH-101, a TR-808/909 and a few others from Roland.
There was no Oberheim in our Studio but what I try to say is that the emulations,
especially from Arturia or Roland Cloud sound very - no - extreme similar!
What I want to say is what you already stated: "Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me?"
I would say: No, it doesn't! :) :tu:
The most important thing is actually that you like the sound and that this sound fits into your work.

Oh dear, i hope i'm not going to start another discussion if plugins sound like real hardware...
Nooooo, please don't start a discussion!!! :phones:

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31551 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 am

Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm
The new IRCAM Lab TS2 is now available as a free upgrade for all current TS owners. The download is available at the top of our page:

https://www.jrrshop.com/ircam-lab-ts
Looks amazing - wonder how it compares to RX and Audition (which I have)?

User avatar
Calenberger
KVRAF
1638 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 am
Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm
The new IRCAM Lab TS2 is now available as a free upgrade for all current TS owners. The download is available at the top of our page:

https://www.jrrshop.com/ircam-lab-ts
Looks amazing - wonder how it compares to RX and Audition (which I have)?
I doubt there's something in it which is not covered by RX.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, kanntu meine musi hoeren da:
https://sonoryth.bandcamp.com/
Signature Sound

User avatar
ChamomileShark
KVRAF
1832 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:43 am

It seems to have the transpose that RX doesn't have. It looks as if it might be easier to transpose whole sections than in Melodyne?

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31551 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 am

Calenberger wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 am
aMUSEd wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 am
Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm
The new IRCAM Lab TS2 is now available as a free upgrade for all current TS owners. The download is available at the top of our page:

https://www.jrrshop.com/ircam-lab-ts
Looks amazing - wonder how it compares to RX and Audition (which I have)?
I doubt there's something in it which is not covered by RX.
I did wonder if the time stretch might be better quality?

User avatar
telecode
KVRAF
1897 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 am

paolostylo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 am
chk071 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 am
Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Ploki wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am
DS Thorn does much more, but its a specific synth.
Oberhausen is a decent emu of Oberheim SEM.
They don't really compare imo.
i'd take Thorn in this shootout.
I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
In the Nineties I worked with a Roland Jupiter-8, a Juno-106, an SH-101, a TR-808/909 and a few others from Roland.
There was no Oberheim in our Studio but what I try to say is that the emulations,
especially from Arturia or Roland Cloud sound very - no - extreme similar!
What I want to say is what you already stated: "Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me?"
I would say: No, it doesn't! :) :tu:
The most important thing is actually that you like the sound and that this sound fits into your work.

Oh dear, i hope i'm not going to start another discussion if plugins sound like real hardware...
Nooooo, please don't start a discussion!!! :phones:
in sounds similar is not same as it "feels" similar. we have a sort of middle of the road quality upright piano in my place and i also own the Piano V and NI Piano series. The VST's sound similar but the midi controller + VST has very little comparable feel to the real piano. a lot of it has to do with the dynamics and the acoustics in the room its being played in.

paolostylo
KVRist
242 posts since 10 May, 2019 from Germany

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 am

telecode wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 am
paolostylo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 am
chk071 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 am
Uncle E wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Ploki wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am
DS Thorn does much more, but its a specific synth.
Oberhausen is a decent emu of Oberheim SEM.
They don't really compare imo.
i'd take Thorn in this shootout.
I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
In the Nineties I worked with a Roland Jupiter-8, a Juno-106, an SH-101, a TR-808/909 and a few others from Roland.
There was no Oberheim in our Studio but what I try to say is that the emulations,
especially from Arturia or Roland Cloud sound very - no - extreme similar!
What I want to say is what you already stated: "Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me?"
I would say: No, it doesn't! :) :tu:
The most important thing is actually that you like the sound and that this sound fits into your work.

Oh dear, i hope i'm not going to start another discussion if plugins sound like real hardware...
Nooooo, please don't start a discussion!!! :phones:
in sounds similar is not same as it "feels" similar. we have a sort of middle of the road quality upright piano in my place and i also own the Piano V and NI Piano series. The VST's sound similar but the midi controller + VST has very little comparable feel to the real piano. a lot of it has to do with the dynamics and the acoustics in the room its being played in.
OK, when it comes to "feel" I totally agree with you. :tu:
It's also a huge difference to play a real Jupiter-8 and tweaking the sliders with your hands than using a controller with a vst.
Or for example, play a real 808 than the software counterpart.

User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
11835 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 am
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
Agreed! I also think a real OB-Xa sounds grating compared to the OB-1, maybe Brainworx emulated an OB-Xa and then slapped an SEM-looking GUI on it.

chk071
KVRAF
24697 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:07 am

As the filter sounds pretty different, I'm doubtful. :D

Dunno, I'd love to see a comparison vid which compares it to the real thing. I think someone out there should do that for every emulation. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”