Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Insanelysane
KVRian
638 posts since 24 Jan, 2014

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:11 am

e@rs wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:00 am
The discounted upgrade price is available each year at least once, so why on Earth would you buy multiple times now?
True, there wouldnt need to be a good reason given stable obvious expectation.

Im entertaining how this works and here are a few scenarios that may have motivated me to buy a few licenses now:

I have the budget for multiples so I dont have to worry later. My wife will be cutting my spending soon as we buy our first house soon. I may be able to buy a few now and not 'worry' about that expense showing up later when things are tighter.

Also, the price at this price point is cheapest for me as I have version 10 so the upgrade is smaller margin. Entertain the idea that I upgrade 11 but dont upgrade 12 but choose to upgrade 13 it'd have saved the margin between 11 and 13 (cost increases with each version you are behind on). So buying a few at cheapest price now may mean I save a lot later. My gut is to say this cant be done though?

User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
5783 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 am

The upgrades are sold as "upgrade from version x" and it pulls the old licence from the dongle when upgrading.

Unless you've got multiple licences for Cubase, this does not look like a good idea.

Insanelysane
KVRian
638 posts since 24 Jan, 2014

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:48 am

Ok thanks for the info, that settles that.

Ou_Tis
KVRian
591 posts since 10 Jul, 2018

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 am

So if we have Cubase 10.5 would it be a good idea to buy the update now to use when 11 comes out?...

User avatar
mladi
KVRian
1128 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 am

Ou_Tis wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 am
So if we have Cubase 10.5 would it be a good idea to buy the update now to use when 11 comes out?...
:tu:
Image
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K|LG 34UM95-P|Presonus Eris E8 XT|Focusrite Scarlett 18i20|NI Kontrol S61 MK2|Stein­berg CC121|Steinberg Cubase 10

Agostini
KVRer
7 posts since 4 Jun, 2018

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:40 am

I bought last year cubase 10 and then after activating by grace period 10.5, right? Can i now buy the upgrade to 10.5 and wait for 11? two times grace in a row?

Psuper
KVRist
463 posts since 3 May, 2018

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 am

Yes I did the same bought the update will wait for 11 to pop before activating.
Cubase has won the Prize! And Reason Rack is is invited to the party again! :party:
...I now need nothing but more hours in a day.

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2887 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 am
The upgrades are sold as "upgrade from version x" and it pulls the old licence from the dongle when upgrading.

Unless you've got multiple licences for Cubase, this does not look like a good idea.
Unless things have changed, having a license for version X of Cubase enables you to use all prior versions (except perhaps very early versions like 3 SX and prior).
A well-behaved signature.

User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
5783 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:36 am

JerGoertz wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 am
Gamma-UT wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 am
The upgrades are sold as "upgrade from version x" and it pulls the old licence from the dongle when upgrading.

Unless you've got multiple licences for Cubase, this does not look like a good idea.
Unless things have changed, having a license for version X of Cubase enables you to use all prior versions (except perhaps very early versions like 3 SX and prior).
That's not the point I'm making. People are talking about applying updates in successive grace periods. But the licence updates after the first one so what's going to get updated on the second or third go-around?

maschinelf
KVRian
830 posts since 3 Sep, 2011

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 am

I bought the Bitwig upgrade from JRR yesterday but have not activated it as yet. Now I’m considering just holding on to it for a few more weeks or possibly even longer, till the next beta or the final version of the next major update is available. Is this safe or is it possible it could lead to issues later? Like for example if I wait too long and the code doesn’t work, and I can’t get another valid code or refund etc.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31612 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 am

maschinelf wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 am
I bought the Bitwig upgrade from JRR yesterday but have not activated it as yet. Now I’m considering just holding on to it for a few more weeks or possibly even longer, till the next beta or the final version of the next major update is available. Is this safe or is it possible it could lead to issues later? Like for example if I wait too long and the code doesn’t work, and I can’t get another valid code or refund etc.
It'll be fine - I always buy it when on sale and then wait until an update comes out that is stable and that has stuff I really need in.

maschinelf
KVRian
830 posts since 3 Sep, 2011

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks aMUSEd .. do you usually buy the upgrade from jrrshop?

Ou_Tis
KVRian
591 posts since 10 Jul, 2018

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am

On Nimbus---is the built-in EQ, width, and tail suppression enough to use it on each individual track without worrying about mud (with minimal tweaking, and no concerns about cpu usage)? Does it save a lot of time?

AcidMoon
KVRist
39 posts since 28 Nov, 2003

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08 am

Ou_Tis wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 am
So if we have Cubase 10.5 would it be a good idea to buy the update now to use when 11 comes out?...
I am already using Cubase Pro 10.5 (updated from 9 to 10.5). Is it possible to update to 11 or higher if I purchase the 10.5 update now?
Namely, Is it the grace period even though it is the same version?

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2887 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:36 am
JerGoertz wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 am
Gamma-UT wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 am
The upgrades are sold as "upgrade from version x" and it pulls the old licence from the dongle when upgrading.

Unless you've got multiple licences for Cubase, this does not look like a good idea.
Unless things have changed, having a license for version X of Cubase enables you to use all prior versions (except perhaps very early versions like 3 SX and prior).
That's not the point I'm making. People are talking about applying updates in successive grace periods. But the licence updates after the first one so what's going to get updated on the second or third go-around?
Ah, I see. My bad.
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”