Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought the Bitwig upgrade from JRR yesterday but have not activated it as yet. Now I’m considering just holding on to it for a few more weeks or possibly even longer, till the next beta or the final version of the next major update is available. Is this safe or is it possible it could lead to issues later? Like for example if I wait too long and the code doesn’t work, and I can’t get another valid code or refund etc.

maschinelf wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 pm I bought the Bitwig upgrade from JRR yesterday but have not activated it as yet. Now I’m considering just holding on to it for a few more weeks or possibly even longer, till the next beta or the final version of the next major update is available. Is this safe or is it possible it could lead to issues later? Like for example if I wait too long and the code doesn’t work, and I can’t get another valid code or refund etc.
It'll be fine - I always buy it when on sale and then wait until an update comes out that is stable and that has stuff I really need in.

Thanks aMUSEd .. do you usually buy the upgrade from jrrshop?

On Nimbus---is the built-in EQ, width, and tail suppression enough to use it on each individual track without worrying about mud (with minimal tweaking, and no concerns about cpu usage)? Does it save a lot of time?

Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:50 pm So if we have Cubase 10.5 would it be a good idea to buy the update now to use when 11 comes out?...
I am already using Cubase Pro 10.5 (updated from 9 to 10.5). Is it possible to update to 11 or higher if I purchase the 10.5 update now?
Namely, Is it the grace period even though it is the same version?

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:36 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:23 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:13 am The upgrades are sold as "upgrade from version x" and it pulls the old licence from the dongle when upgrading.

Unless you've got multiple licences for Cubase, this does not look like a good idea.
Unless things have changed, having a license for version X of Cubase enables you to use all prior versions (except perhaps very early versions like 3 SX and prior).
That's not the point I'm making. People are talking about applying updates in successive grace periods. But the licence updates after the first one so what's going to get updated on the second or third go-around?
Ah, I see. My bad.
A well-behaved signature.

AcidMoon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 pm
Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:50 pm So if we have Cubase 10.5 would it be a good idea to buy the update now to use when 11 comes out?...
I am already using Cubase Pro 10.5 (updated from 9 to 10.5). Is it possible to update to 11 or higher if I purchase the 10.5 update now?
nope. I doubt it will accept an upgrade to 10.5 since you're already on 10.5. The grace period is mainly there to ensure old stock is supported.

Insanelysane wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 am
dzilizzi wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 am
Insanelysane wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 pm
dzilizzi wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:06 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:13 pm
chaos318 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:57 pm Save 40% on Cubase 10.5 and upgrades:
https://new.steinberg.net/promotion/?et ... sub=Cubase

neat... I can upgrade my 7.5 license to cubase 10.5 for 120€ or nuendo 10 for 240€.

hm hm. should I?
Buy it now and hold on to it until 11 comes out. You will get a free upgrade to 11 then.
I have in the past seen people say this can be done, just to confirm we are talking about upgrade not full version purchase and it will update to latest version (11 when it is released at end of year or shortly after) even though the purchase says 'upgrade to 10.5'?
Has someone done this successfully in the past?
Yes. You buy the update to 10.5 but don't register it until 11 comes out and it will give you an automatic update to 11. I've done this 3 times. And will do it again. You give up an immediate update for the update to the next full version.
Amazing! Thats super useful to know, thanks. One sneaky thought is - could one buy multiple upgrades at the discounted price it is now and use them in consecutive releases? Probably, why would you, probably not..?
because you can only upgrade from 10 to 10.5 once?

That is the only reason I think it won't work. If you want to spend $36 and try it? I'd love to know the results.

VitaminD wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm
nope. I doubt it will accept an upgrade to 10.5 since you're already on 10.5. The grace period is mainly there to ensure old stock is supported.
The grace period is usually about a month before the new version comes out and is to keep people from getting angry because they just paid for 10.5 only to find out 11 came out and they could have waited. They don't differentiate between buying an update and buying the full version, which is why this works. (ver 10.5 new costs the same as ver 11 new)

A discussion on the grace period at the Steinberg forum:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 1#p1019241
Might help.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:35 pm
A discussion on the grace period at the Steinberg forum:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 1#p1019241
Might help.
in a way the grace period is somewhat confusing.
example, i know someone who bought cubase pro 7, several years back, already cheap.
activated it when pro 9.5 was out, he didn't know it, that i would get pro 9.5...
the time of activating counts, at least for a full version.

if you buy the update from cubase pro 10 to pro 10.5 for instance and wait untill version 12, i don't if that works......

the best option, do not consider the grace period, it is too confusing.

when cubase 11 arrives, then activate your 10.5 update. you get 11.

it's a pity i bought the pro 10.5 update almost immediately, and buying the update now, will not work to get 11, when 11 comes out, and activate it then. but this makes this post again confusing.

buy an unused cubase, even version 5. the time of activation counts, when cubase 10.5 is there, you get 10.5 (and 5, 6, 6.5, etc... you can install all older versions).

buy an update that you didn't buy before and more importantly didn't use, wait untill 11 arrives, don't count on the grace period. the launch date is never that fixed.

^^^

The way I understand it is if you did not activate (nor download?) your 10.5 you would have been eligible for a free Cubase 11 during the upcoming grace period.

My guess is that Cubase 11 will be release in November 2020.
Ah, and get Padshop 2, well and much more!

I do it like this:
Buy the x.0 -> x.5 update (on update sale, if possible). Wait until x+1.0 is released, then activate it, and gain the latest .0 version. Or maybe wait until version x+2.0, but not x+1.5.

Why? A: it has been cheaper to buy the update from x.0 to x.5 than x.5 to x+1.0, and usually I don’t need the latest version.

Note: It’s better to buy the update from Cubase Pro 10 to 10.5 now, before the version 11 released, because the updates from older versions cost more and more the longer you wait.

Insanelysane wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 am
Amazing! Thats super useful to know, thanks. One sneaky thought is - could one buy multiple upgrades at the discounted price it is now and use them in consecutive releases? Probably, why would you, probably not..?
e@rs wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 am The discounted upgrade price is available each year at least once, so why on Earth would you buy multiple times now?
Yes. Steinberg could even drop the product or switch to a subscription model like Adobe did, while you're sitting on a pile of unregistered Cubase upgrades. Going back in history after Cubase VST5 they discontinued that product and brought out Cubase SX, which was a whole new product based on new code borrowed from Nuendo.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Happy Birthday USA. Bring on the 4th July sales!

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”