what is your favorite controller surface (compact with good knobs)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using a full scale keyboard more and more and don't have desk space for my old big pad controller.. I'm just curious what people find best to use with bitwig (for me, mainly looking for good programmable knobs). Midi Fighter Twister looks interesting but their forums are a little down on their support.

Arturia Beatstep, Novation LaunchControl XL, Numark Dj2Go, Korg NanoKontrol.
I must say programmability is what I never need, I can always map it to my liking. I would always prefer encoders over pots, unless they are made useless like in Reloops KeyFadr...
I also have some ancient goodies like a Fostex MixTab a Doepfer PocketFader and PocketDial.
My new toy (absolutely love it) has no knobs, its an Expressive É Touché SE, accompanied by an Tecontrol Breath & Bite controller...
(I know, I am the controller junkie...)

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:27 pm I would always prefer encoders over pots,
Me too, except when they have value pickup like the Faderfoxes.

Thanks for these. I did not know about Faderfox, the EC4 is not cheap (and is not a looker :) but looks like it does what I'd like

I use the Komplete Kontrol M32.

The Komplete Kontrol software is crap, so I don't use it. The controller is cheap and small enough to live between the computer keyboard and monitor which is great. It also has 8 encoders which are good. The keys are not great, but you get 2.5 octaves which is great for such a small size. You get touch strips for the modulation and pitch bend which are meh.

You can't change the CCs of the encoders though. When I used it with Ableton I only needed to modify a script to get automapping. I need to do the same with Bitwig.

MFT all the way. I’ve used many (novation sl, Behringer bcr, push2) but mft is best for Bitwig imo. The color rings match Bitwig colors, build quality is excellent. I never visit their forums anymore, it’s fine the way it is. I wouldn’t worry about that. More importantly, the Bitwig script is still being updated.

Whats the MFT?

pranaearth wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:36 am Whats the MFT?
https://www.midifighter.com/#Twister
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

What about the Korg nanoKey and/or nanoKontrol studio? I have been thinking about the nanoKey to use with my iPad and for patch programming. I have a big Keylab 88 that hasn't been getting rolled out on its tray much lately due to my audio desk doing dual duties as my work-from-home desk since last March (I am an optical design engineer at a big four tech company as a profession). The Presonus Atom SQ looks pretty nice, too. It is optimized for Studio One of course, but fits what I want in a compact controller. It doesn't have a battery power option (only bus power) or Bluetooth like the Korg controllers have, though. The Kordbot looks like it might work as a decent compact controller, too, but they are out of stock right now; they have Bluetooth.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Just wondering, has anyone tried the SL Mixface with Bitwig?

https://nektartech.com/panorama-p1/

Great mapping with Bitwig
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Now that the API has changed how does the P1 work in 2020? The manual was written for Bitwig V1.

pranaearth wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:52 am Now that the API has changed how does the P1 work in 2020? The manual was written for Bitwig V1.
I have a P6 and it works great, Nektar have updated their script a few times and added new features. I assume the P1 is the same.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have a Maschine JAM, it works great and has touchstrips which in some ways is better than knobs. The original script is old but functional, I edit it as needed. Sadly they are now out of production.

Return to “Bitwig”