Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:19 pm
Once again I have no problem with OBsession getting a new Gui even though I don't need one as I'll easily learn it too but also again I doubt no matter how a new GUI is done it will appease everyone. :shrug:
I'm pretty sure no one means they want the current GUI deleted and replaced. We just want a separate and different (non rack-extensioned) skin. What's your problem with that???

dvnation wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:03 pm What's your problem with that???
I said......
Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:19 pm Once again I have no problem with OBsession getting a new Gui
Whether that's a completely new skin or just a different alternative I have no problem.

But I'd much rather have that development time be spent on things that actually expand the synth itself.

You expressed your opinion I expressed mine. What's your problem with that ???

So yea bring on a new or alternative GUI. All those people asking for a new browser in DUNE 3 can just wait. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I, unlike you have no knowledge of the inner workings at Synapse but from the outside reading comments from Richard and beta testers I get the feeling that even if he had 90 hour days some things are not coming.
That is I don't get the feeling that it is time constraints and a matter of limited time and so many stuff that people want, I get the feeling is the puts what he wants to and not puts what he doesn't want to.

Not even 90 hour days would change that.

Richard does what Richard wants to do... The End!!

But like I said I don't' know the inner workings of Synapse.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:28 pm I, unlike you have no knowledge of the inner workings at Synapse but from the outside reading comments from Richard and beta testers I get the feeling that even if he had 90 hour days some things are not coming.
That is I don't get the feeling that it is time constraints and a matter of limited time and so many stuff that people want, I get the feeling is the puts what he wants to and not puts what he doesn't want to.

Not even 90 hour days would change that.

Richard does what Richard wants to do... The End!!

But like I said I don't' know the inner workings of Synapse.
rsp
Hear, hear!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

People including me were complaining about the Browser since Dune 1.

This for instance was me from 2012:
viewtopic.php?p=4917564#p4917564
I have both.. I use both, if I HAD to choose one it would be the DIVA....my biggest problem with DUNE is the archaic preset manager browser where only three banks can be easily accessed at a time...Diva doesn't have this limitation and I do prefer the fabulous sound of Diva as well..
And yes the browser in Dune 2 was better than Dune 1..... but not by much imho.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:28 pm Richard does what Richard wants to do... The End!!
that's the point of running your own company. otherwise you may as well just work for someone else.

Really? That has not been my experience with many other companies whose products I own licenses for, and some I beta test for.
Including Big companies like Steinberg and Native Instruments and much smaller one man operations.

For sure in my own business, I have to listen to the people who pay me to create audio for them. If I don't they will eventually go elsewhere, regardless if I think I am a musical genius or not (I don't for the record)

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:11 pm Really? That has not been my experience with many other companies whose products I own licenses for, and some I beta test for.
Including Big companies like Steinberg and Native Instruments and much smaller one man operations.

For sure in my own business, I have to listen to the people who pay me to create audio for them. If I don't they will eventually go elsewhere, regardless if I think I am a musical genius or not (I don't for the record)

rsp
commissions are different, that's you being taken on for a job, short term, so yes you are working for someone else.

when you buy a product, like a synth, you can't buy it, then expect it to change to your requirements.
you can of course suggest things, but at the end of it, richard decides, it's his business.
yes customers also then have the right to go elsewhere.

but, that is the point of being the boss, final decisions ;)

And even me being boss of my own company, if i gained a reputation for telling the client what is best for them and not being pliable to what they want, I will at some point be clientless.

And if for instance the reports of him saying oh just use NKS instead of 'fixing' the browser are true, well not even Native Instrument tells you that for their products.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 pm

And if for instance the reports of him saying oh just use NKS instead of 'fixing' the browser are true, well not even Native Instrument tells you that for their products.
rsp
if Richard and hundreds maybe thousands of users are happy with the browser, maybe he doesn't feel the need to "fix" it

as I said before, you never hear about the happy users, only the vocal few who want changes to suit them...

There are a load of things I'd like changed with all his stuff, but i kinda gave up bothering, never gonna happen....

if he doesn't like the idea, or it's too much work, he won't add it (ie a totally new browser.... would you pay for that or expect it as a free update?)

feel free to ask, but don't expect anything...

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 pm And even me being boss of my own company, if i gained a reputation for telling the client what is best for them and not being pliable to what they want, I will at some point be clientless.

rsp
yes, you would be. but you would have that choice as the boss of your own company, then you would look at the effect it was having and do something about it.

if, let's for a minute imagine, word of mouth spread that you were a bit of an arse but damn fine musician with it, and commissions kept coming in as normal, you might continue telling clients what they needed :shrug:

AnX wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:45 pm ........

as I said before, you never hear about the happy users, only the vocal few who want changes to suit them...
I don't entirely agree with this.
Whilst I do agree you will often more likely hear from vociferously people having issues than people loudly singing praises, I believe they are also people who realise their protests would be in vain so they say nothing or just quietly move on.

There must be some data though why so many other companies spend time and money developing a proper preset browser, surely.

I actually would pay extra for better preset browsing on synapse stuff, although I might be the only one.

Anyway we got on this again (well at least I did) because I soundly doubt the notion that it is time spent doing other requested features why this has not been addressed.
rsp
sound sculptist

Richard_Synapse wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 pm Of course we would have to design a new skin which is the hard part, and there is no guarantee a new skin is going to suit everybody's taste.
The default skin doesn't suit everyone's taste either. But at least we'd have one with everything on the front, and I might not even care how it looks if that happens.
Richard_Synapse wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 pm But it is certainly possible. What is not possible is just to transfer such changes made to the VST/AU/AAX over to the Rack Extension. So some RE users may complain here. Since Reason supports VST since a while now, this is less of an issue though than a couple years ago.
With all due respect - and this is just more out of curiosity - but, what is your freaking obsession with Rack Extensions??? Reason Studios are pushing subscriptions now, you can't currently buy REs if you subscribe to Reason+, and the RE Shop has been hidden away. And if REs are so important to you and your business, why haven't you ported Dune to RE?

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:24 pm Whilst I do agree you will often more likely hear from vociferously people having issues than people loudly singing praises, I believe they are also people who realise their protests would be in vain so they say nothing or just quietly move on.
With any product or service review you're more likely to get input from people who are either really upset or really happy. Those in the middle rarely ever have anything to say or any reason to say it.

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:24 pmAnyway we got on this again (well at least I did) because I soundly doubt the notion that it is time spent doing other requested features why this has not been addressed.
You can thank Apple and the need for M1 support for eating up development time. So while Windows users don't need it Mac users are requesting such support.

The point I've been trying to make is that while a new GUI or preset browser are important to you there are other feature requests that are equally important to whoever made them.

So while you may feel ignored someone else may be getting their wishes granted.

So Synapse (or any developer for that matter) is left to sort through the requests and see which ones make sense to implement.

They just released a nice free update for DUNE 3 and I'm seeing as much complaining as I am gratitude so one could argue that doesn't give much incentive.

All we can do is make our requests in a respectful manner (see the post above on how not to do that) and hope for the best. Again that goes for any developer.

I will say that judging just by the sheer number of requests that a new browser is probably the number one request. I have no use for one but if it makes other people happy why not.

So no telling what the future holds. :shrug:
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saying you're happy with the browser is like saying you're happy cutting your feet on rocks while everyone else around you was provided with shoes for the trail. everyone will likely get to the same destination, some more comfortably than others.To each their own I guess.

I'm not sure why exactly a browser would be insanely hard to implement. Maybe everything is built on top of some weird inflexible framework? Building an accurate emulation of an analog synthesizer seems several orders of magnitude harder than building a pretty rudimentary database.

Return to “Instruments”