Looking for an alternative to Synthmaster One

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA 2 ArcSyn SynthMaster One Vaporizer2 Vital

Since Synthmaster One was obviously "inspired" by Hive then Hive would be the logical alternative.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hive would be the obvious alternative. Just lacking in the "relatively cheap" requirement.

But then, there's nothing as cheap as Synthmaster.

ecasasmusic2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:54 pm Try Vital. It is way better than Sunthmaster One for wavetables and modulations, and it's free. And if you want the versions with more presets and more wavetables, they are cheap.
Plus, you can always load in your own, say, download a pack of Massive wavetables and open them in Vital. That's the way I use it, it's pretty neat. Wavetable morphing capabilities of the synth are outstanding too.

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:20 pm Hive would be the obvious alternative. Just lacking in the "relatively cheap" requirement.

HY-POLY is. :hihi:

Does it even have wavetable? Otherwise, I couldn't see how it's supposed to be a valid alternative.

I don't have it, but I think it has a vector oscillator mode with digital waves in it. It's not as comprehensive in terms of wavetable action as SM1, especially when it comes to different wavetable interpolation modes, which SM has plenty of, but it looks and sounds pretty sweet all the same. It's a tad cheaper than SM too. But yeah, maybe not the most obvious alternative, a bit different focus and feature set.
Last edited by crickey13 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just saw that the OP listed wavetable as "optional", so, it might indeed be an alternative for him.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:58 pm Since Synthmaster One was obviously "inspired" by Hive then Hive would be the logical alternative.
Hive? Yes!

I demoed Hive 1, wasn't quite sold. Then I bought SynthMaster One and it ran well for me. I still like it a lot.

Then I demoed Hive2, and decided it was too much like SynthMaster One to justify the price tag. But Hive2 is a nice synth.

I would have to agree that Vital is a good free or inexpensive option. I grabbed the free version to check it out, and it definitely raises the bar! Very nice!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:29 pm Then I demoed Hive2, and decided it was too much like SynthMaster One to justify the price tag. But Hive2 is a nice synth.
I have Hive and I use it a lot. I almost recommended it alongside Vital, but the fact that OP's first requirement was "cheap" persuaded me not to even mention it.

I wonder how many posts in this thread are just reactions to the title from people who haven't read any of the posts. Can't wait to see someone recommend Omnisphere.
I hate signatures too.

crickey13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:20 pm Hive would be the obvious alternative. Just lacking in the "relatively cheap" requirement.

HY-POLY is. :hihi:
Rob Papen Go2 as well, although it looks to be a pretty different synth. It might still accomplish the same thing for OP, though.

Vamber Audio Surge ?

zzz00m wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:29 pm Then I demoed Hive2, and decided it was too much like SynthMaster One to justify the price tag.
It's more correct to say Synthmaster One is too much like Hive 2.
Urs wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 pm
4damind wrote:Btw. for people where Hive has not awoken the interest, there is also the new Synthmaster One available since some days.
I take its layout as a compliment. Might show that Hive's UI concept is "just right" :clown:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

biscuitdough wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:45 pm Rob Papen Go2 as well, although it looks to be a pretty different synth. It might still accomplish the same thing for OP, though.
Go2 is kind of more left-field, but yeah, OP may take a look at that too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 pm
zzz00m wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:29 pm Then I demoed Hive2, and decided it was too much like SynthMaster One to justify the price tag. But Hive2 is a nice synth.
I have Hive and I use it a lot. I almost recommended it alongside Vital, but the fact that OP's first requirement was "cheap" persuaded me not to even mention it.

I wonder how many posts in this thread are just reactions to the title from people who haven't read any of the posts. Can't wait to see someone recommend Omnisphere.
I suggested Hive having read the OP saying "relatively cheap"

From my long term perspective, u-he synths end up as incredible deals in the long run. You can depend on them to be well supported for years to come. Paid updates, which are few and far between are ridiculously cheap. They are super solid with fantastic support. For example, they already work with Apple M1 Macs. There is a Linux version. And so on. Over the past decade, various synths I bought have come and gone, no longer well supported or not at all, or cost a fair amount to update. No synth I have had over that timeframe has been as good a value for me as the u-he gear.

Return to “Instruments”