Looking for an alternative to Synthmaster One

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA 2 ArcSyn SynthMaster One Vaporizer2 Vital

Its closer to being a "donationware' than to being a commercial product.
The line is fine but indeed you get 99% of the functionality in the free version, so i consider it a freeware, or a donationware.
It depends how strictly you want to ahere to purely technical definitions.

Greenstorm33 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:03 am
chk071 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:46 pm If it was free, he'd offer it for free. The full thing.
Apart from one gimmicky feature that a majority of users probably don't care about (and which is limited, not absent in the free version), the free version is identical in functionality to the most expensive paid version. The only difference is the included presets and wavetables. Lots of synths I own have optional sound content you can buy that I don't have, but I still consider myself to own the full synth. Same with Vital; it seems pretty strange to insist that it's not free just because there is add-on soundware content you can buy.
I think it's rather strange that you insist that a product which lacks features in comparison with the paid versions a free product. Yes, I also consider the absence of wavetables a missing feature, because, they act as oscillator waveforms, and, I don't think you wouldn't call those a feature on a "normal" subtractive synthesizer.

If 3 of 4 version of the synth are paid versions, which give you extra functionality, and features over the free version, then how can the synth not be a payware synth? And why would it not be a payware synth, and what's the motive behind not calling it a payware synth?

I don't think we'll figure those questions out, but, I'd surely be interested about the motives behind it. I think it's simply because it's a small developer, and that he made the code Open Source (in some regards). Interesting psychological thing (obviously, there's something "bad" about payware, otherwise some wouldn't insist so hard on a commercial product being freeware).

chk071 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am
chk071 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:46 pm If it was free, he'd offer it for free. The full thing.
Apart from one gimmicky feature ...
I think it's rather strange that you insist that a product ...
I fully agree with what Greenstorm33 said, and I have no idea why you would call some more presets and wavetables a "lacking/missing feature". It's additional content, nothing else.
A missing feature would be how the synth handles wavetables, not which wavetables it handles.
And who cares about some additional WTs anyway? When everyone's probably having hundreds or thousands of WTs on his hard drive...

The only limitation in terms of features/functionality of the free version is a limited TTWT access.
Greenstorm33 indicated this, quote "Apart from one gimmicky feature that a majority of users probably don't care about (and which is limited, not absent in the free version) ... "
Don't know if you were even aware of this until now.

I bought the Pro version of Vital on release day, but surely not because of that content which I'm not using anyway. It was to support the project and further development.
And I think that's the whole point about the paid versions. Vital is a one man show, he needs to pay servers and whatnot. If you aren't born rich or something you need to find a way to finance a project like this. Simple as that.
Others go the Patreon road or whatever. Matt chose to do it this way, and I think it's a good way.

PS: this is all pretty much off topic...
Last edited by mesamask on Sun May 02, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post, deleted

mesamask wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:11 am
chk071 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am
Apart from one gimmicky feature ...
I think it's rather strange that you insist that a product ...
I fully agree with what Greenstorm33 said, and I have no idea why you would call some more presets and wavetables a "lacking/missing feature". It's additional content, nothing else.
A missing feature would be how the synth handles wavetables, not which wavetables it handles.
And who cares about some additional WTs anyway?
The people who care about additional waveforms for oscillators on a synth as well, I guess.
mesamask wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:11 am When everyone's probably having hundreds or thousands of WTs on his hard drive...
Interesting. It never struck me that you can easily exchange wavetables. They all sound different, and have different waveforms.

It's kind of irrelevant if you, or anyone else is content with the features of the free version, when there are 3 buying options for the synths, which give you the full experience. That's the definition of payware: Paying for the software. It's irrelevant if there is a limited version of the same software, which is available for free. Otherwise, you'd have to call many, many payware plugins freeware, just because they also come in a free, limited version.

Again, I have no idea why you guys insist so much on the "free" thing. As if anything else would be bad or evil.

Awesome sound and at an affordable payment plan through splice either pigments or Serum
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

Didn't know that Pigments is also Splice rent-to-own. Cool. :tu:

Tone2 Warlock about $70
https://www.tone2.com/warlock.html

chk071 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 am ...
Seems we're just having different standpoints. And probably won't bring those together here.
To me that's ok, I respect your standpoint. But I have mine.
chk071 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 am Again, I have no idea why you guys insist so much on the "free" thing. As if anything else would be bad or evil.
I don't think anyone's "insisting so much" and thinking "anything else would be bad or evil".
People are trying to expose their opinions/standpoints, just like you do. And opinions are different sometimes, or rather often.
Think we shouldn't take this too serious, for my part this is sorted out.
Again, it's off topic.

Software being free or not is not a standpoint though. But, you're right, I think discussing this further won't help the topic much.

I also don't want to say that noone can get Vital for free, if he's happy with that feature set. Just saying that it doesn't qualify as free software just because it comes with a free version.

Ana 2, Dune 3, Hive, Surge, Sylenth.

tony10000 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:10 pm Ana 2, Dune 3, Hive, Surge, Sylenth.
Will try, expensive, expensive, have it, expensive. :)

ferez21 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 pm
How about Rob Papen Go2? $50 and great sounds...

tony10000 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:56 pm
I should probably demo it as well :)

ferez21 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:01 pm
tony10000 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:56 pm
I should probably demo it as well :)
Yeah, very versatile and great sounding synth. One of my fave low priced synths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjltWgHSDeo

Return to “Instruments”