donkeyt - Superspreader- indie rokkkk.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
KVRist
374 posts since 30 Apr, 2003 from West Dorset, UK

Post Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 am

Hell yes. You are a Yorkist Robert Pollard. Likey.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

User avatar
KVRian
1061 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Post Sat May 01, 2021 11:47 am

Great opening groove and riff...good musical flow!

Vocals work well with the style.

Great 'rise and fall' throughout....enjoyed it!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

7846 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:04 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:19 am
DT, sorry I took so long to get to this, especially since I love listening to your stuff.

Anyway, right from the get go, love the bass playing. Is that a real bass? I know you play guitar but didn't know you played bass.

The song itself is so well written. I can honestly say I enjoyed every second of it. And you really mixed up the arrangement nicely. I would love to study the project file for this song. I think it would give me some insight into creating a truly interesting arrangement.

What else can I say? 5 out of 5 stars.

You really need to post more often. Or maybe not. Maybe it's because you don't crank things out like an assembly line that your stuff is so good.

There is a lesson there somewhere.
Cheers Wags. Yes I do play bass, it's a simplified 4 string version of guitar, no better than a ukulele, for idio.... if you play guitar you can play bass, up to a point, certainly well enough to do stuff like this. This is of course my Bass 6 (in fiesta Red) - short scale bass with 6 strings, tuned the same as a guitar (E to E rather than having a low B) but an octave lower. Marvellous machine, very nice colour.

As you know, I'm never precious about stuff and don't mind sending you the project file. As everything but the drums is an audio file though, probably would make more sense to do it as rendered audio files (or 'stems', as I believe the young people call them)? That way missing plug-ins in common won't make it sound like some weird acid skiffle, and it might be of some use. Let me know.

Hehe, I probably write just as much as you do, but because I like to spend a long time polishing the turds, I try and only record the ones I think are worth the investment of time- doesn't always work..!

User avatar
KVRAF
21318 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am

I think where the bass stands out are the best bits.

lotta moves in this number. the dodgier bits were also the more attractive here

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

7846 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 am

operandx wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 am
Hell yes. You are a Yorkist Robert Pollard. Likey.
I'll take that, apart from that I'm a (32 years admittedly... :lol: ) expat Lancastrian. Cheers!

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

7846 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:24 am

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:47 am
Great opening groove and riff...good musical flow!

Vocals work well with the style.

Great 'rise and fall' throughout....enjoyed it!
Thank you sir!

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

7846 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:27 am

jancivil wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:19 am
I think where the bass stands out are the best bits.

I was thinking yesterday as well that I could make more of the bass. I think there's scope without changing the basic arrangement to cut some more guitar parts to play on this a bit more, and also increase the contrast in sections. I shall have a mess about.

Cheers!

User avatar
addled muppet weed
77598 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:31 am

donkey tugger wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 am
vurt wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm
donkey tugger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:31 pm
dodgy! :hihi:
Metaphor, my dear boy. It's obviously about people who talk bollocks/spread rumours etc, not an epidemiological treatise. :hihi:
:lol: i meant the band!
sounded like one of theirs in some parts!
was a bit of kasabian, with the more rock! bits too.
:lol:

If you would just use the capital letters to denote a definite article now and again..
but then we wouldn't have these beautiful moments :D

User avatar
KVRAF
20384 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:36 am

donkey tugger wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:04 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:19 am
DT, sorry I took so long to get to this, especially since I love listening to your stuff.

Anyway, right from the get go, love the bass playing. Is that a real bass? I know you play guitar but didn't know you played bass.

The song itself is so well written. I can honestly say I enjoyed every second of it. And you really mixed up the arrangement nicely. I would love to study the project file for this song. I think it would give me some insight into creating a truly interesting arrangement.

What else can I say? 5 out of 5 stars.

You really need to post more often. Or maybe not. Maybe it's because you don't crank things out like an assembly line that your stuff is so good.

There is a lesson there somewhere.
Cheers Wags. Yes I do play bass, it's a simplified 4 string version of guitar, no better than a ukulele, for idio.... if you play guitar you can play bass, up to a point, certainly well enough to do stuff like this. This is of course my Bass 6 (in fiesta Red) - short scale bass with 6 strings, tuned the same as a guitar (E to E rather than having a low B) but an octave lower. Marvellous machine, very nice colour.

As you know, I'm never precious about stuff and don't mind sending you the project file. As everything but the drums is an audio file though, probably would make more sense to do it as rendered audio files (or 'stems', as I believe the young people call them)? That way missing plug-ins in common won't make it sound like some weird acid skiffle, and it might be of some use. Let me know.

Hehe, I probably write just as much as you do, but because I like to spend a long time polishing the turds, I try and only record the ones I think are worth the investment of time- doesn't always work..!
Absolutely. If you could upload the audio stems to dropbox, I can load them into Cubase and see when stuff comes in and goes out. It'll be a great lesson for me. But please, no rush. Do it at your convenience. Don't want you knocking yourself out.

Polishing turds. Love it! :lol:

KVRAF
4370 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Sun May 02, 2021 3:52 pm

Never did get the band together.

Probably never will.

But if I was to have a serious go of it, DT would be no.1 call.

Looking for guys (gals) that can play bass, swap instruments, play a bit of guitar. Sing. Write. Produce. Engineer.

DT does it all!


And with every single point of action coming from a humble place.

Don't get better than that.

I'd really love to hear what this f**king dude is really capable of!

Uh?

He's holding back, I can feel it in my producer's bones.

Just need something to push him over the edge of excellence. He has it in him. He wants to do it!

Let's go gently.

DT, what will it take to make you go 'further'?

Sherbet dips?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbet_(powder)


Dude's a f**king hero, chomping at the bit.

Doesn't want to be in the 'public eye', yet, can't help to display his talent.


I say we make a safe framework for Donkey Tugger. Let him have as much reach (around) as possible.


This is what happens when you put your music up on a public forum.

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

7846 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Mon May 03, 2021 4:08 am

But, but.. I'm in my 50s with dodgy knees when it gets cold.. :cry:

To try and be serious (flippancy is another thing that's got worse with age..) music isn't the 'all consuming passion' it was when I was younger, and whilst I do still hugely enjoy making it, and am gratified that some people like it, it's always going to be a bit more 'considered', and dare I say it, 'laid back', these days. I'll leave all that 'hearts on the sleeve' stuff to the young-uns now. :hihi:

As for playing live - far too stressful, and I don't think I could get to sleep in the back of a transit van any more.. :scared:

KVRAF
3390 posts since 21 Mar, 2020 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 am

A thoroughly enjoyable listen! Nice work.
Sad about tomorrow
Sorry, but it's not my fault

User avatar
something special
8495 posts since 16 Mar, 2002 from Birmingham, Alabama

Post Mon May 03, 2021 4:26 am

Great stuff as usual!

User avatar
KVRAF
1512 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 pm

Nice one.
You're a talented guy.

User avatar
Boss Lovin' DR

Topic Starter

7846 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Cheers All, much appreciated.

Done a few little tweaks to it (cut little bits of guitar to emphasise the bass in a couple of places, toned down some hi-hat sizzle) and reckon that will do it!

Return to “Music Cafe”