Best overall software reverb under $250?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AtomicReverb Redline Reverb Schroeder Reverb

'kay, fair enough, I guess. :lol:

Yeah, claiming I'm a sheep when it comes to posting here wouldn't paint a very accurate picture of myself I have to admit. :hihi:

Nonetheless all I did in that Humble Bundle thread was to voice my opinion that it wasn't such a great or special deal - which you then seemed to struggle royally with, for whatever reason.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:08 pm the right reverb on your cardboard drums would have done wonders!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUesbTObC9A

Lunar Lander (analog delay+ Plate Reverb+saturation) and uses less than 3% cpu.
Review https://www.kvraudio.com/product/lunar- ... on/reviews
https://youtu.be/xLwsVyKuXLg

Lunar Lander sounds great on that track. I love how plugins are combining and making many things less work than before, while also teaching the user how it all works. That way you can try those things out with other tools as well. Neoverb is like that.

My current reverb plugins that I cherrish and use, mostly for effects and dialogue mixing at this time are:

Valhalla Room , Acon Digital Verberate Immersive 2(surround), Stratus(surround) and Aether. Only Stratus costs more than $250 but for my kind of work it's worth it a LOT.
Will mix for fun

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm
vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:08 pm the right reverb on your cardboard drums would have done wonders!
Hm, don't see wonders there.

Dark Lights wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 pm
The wonder is that the drummer got away with banging a cardboard box.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:37 pm
Dark Lights wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 pm
The wonder is that the drummer got away with banging a cardboard box.
Exactly so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSzLTG5qkj4

for real spaces Inspirata is my favourite by along shot. For a simulated real space I quite like SparkVerb sometimes but also Valhalla Room or R2/Nimbus or Reverberate using the fusion IRs. Sonible smart reverb is great for early reflections and short decays that position the signal in a close space, to then add other reverbs to get distance
For fake spaces any convolution processor, Adaptiverb and Blackhole.

fairlyclose wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 am for real spaces Inspirata is my favourite by along shot.
That slipped by my attention. Do you mind me asking which version you have?

ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 am
fairlyclose wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 am for real spaces Inspirata is my favourite by along shot.
The personal one, updated from the freebie. Just the greatest as far as I am concerned. Takes some learning but not much and easy worth it

fairlyclose wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:49 am
ghettosynth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 am
The personal one, updated from the freebie. Just the greatest as far as I am concerned. Takes some learning but not much and easy worth it
Was the lite version free at some point? Sorry I missed that. I'll keep an eye out for a sale.

Sonsig Rev-A has replaced everything else I previously used, because it can do everything all my other reverbs did for me (Arts Acoustic Reverb, Valhalla Room, Valhalla Vintage Verb, Nimbus, RC-24....and so on) and, in my humble but enormously fickle opinion, does it better / best.

Just personally, I really prefer to work with a small but high quality collection of plugins, following "one of each" principles wherever possible (delay is the only place I break that, actually, because Replika-XT and Valhalla each do important things the other cannot...). Sonsig covers ALL the territory I need, from convincing small room spaces to utterly gorgeous ultra-long cosmic verbs that could make Vangelis himself shed a tear.

I'm just so happy I found it! Relab have other plugins of course but I don't want 'em, they'd just get in the way!

-M

For me Valhalla reverbs are the best, especially for the price. The difference from Valhalla to the more expensive ones is minimal and not worth the price, in my opinion. The best part about them is their simplicity in usage. Sometimes, having lots of options on the interface to control the plugin, can stop you from getting what you really want and from being creative.

You can't go wrong with any of Valhalla's plugins.

which expensive algorithmic ones are better than valhalla? (i don't have valhalla - but i like it and will get it sooner or later).
I have a fair share of algorithmic reverbs

define “better“
I haven't tried them all (i'm also not using iLok), but back when i still had that dongle that the UAD Lexicon 224 and especially their EMT 140 sounded slightly nicer in comparable settings vs. VVV and Plate.
VVV has gotten many more algorithms in the meantime though and i actually don't feel i'm missing anyhing using basically no other verb than this.
I don't even have any complaints about it's sound quality at all.
Maybe if i had some of the iLoked (or UAD dongled) reverbs for comparison again, i would say “wow, that's what i was missing“, but i still have licenses for a few extremely highly regarded reverbs which i personally like less than VVV - not calling any names though.

Strangely, at least when i demoed them side by side back then, i prefered VVV over Room. despite preferring “invisible/almost inaudible“ reverbs and Room is said to be better at that.

VVV is also very flexible due to it's diverse array of algorithms, low on CPU and rock solid.
Of course you might not like it's sound and that's perfectly valid, but in my opinion, as long as you don't require 100% realistic spaces for hyper realistic acoustic music, you don't need much else, as long as you get along with it's sound which course you might not.
But always remember: countless awesome sounding songs have been made using way inferior reverbs.

If you already have great reverbs, you don't really need them, but you also don't really need much else if you just use Valhalla: in my case just one of their verbs covers everything i need

TL;DR version:
Valhalla is about:
- high flexibility
- rock solid performance
- low CPU footprint
- fast loading and plugin opening times
- great user interface with just the right amount of controls for fast work
- good sound
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Return to “Effects”