Linux builds overview (2024-02-16)

Hello to all the members of the Linux community.

This thread will serve as a general overview of the latest Linux builds for all our plugins.
You will find links to the plugin product pages, where you can download the current stable beta versions for all plugins.
Additionally, this is the place where you can find download links for any plugin with a KVR beta version newer than the stable version. These will include the latest feature updates and bug fixes, but might also include new, undetected issues. Use those at your own risk, and backup your presets before installing.

A new post will be added each time a new revision for one or more plugins becomes available, and the first post will be updated with the new links. If you find any issues or have other comments, please create a new thread in our Linux sub forum, or contact our support directly. We'll will try to keep the known issues list up to date with confirmed issues.

Latest beta versions available on KVR:

ACE MPE beta 15139 Linux
Bazille MPE beta 15139 Linux
Diva MPE beta 15152 Linux
Hive MPE beta 15139 Linux
Uhbik 1.3.1 - revision 8272
Zebralette 3 Public Beta 15573

Stable betas/releases currently available on the official u-he website:

ACE 1.4.2 - revision 12092
Bazille 1.1.2 - revision 12092
BazilleCM 1.0.1 - revision 12185 *
BeatZille 1.0.2 - revision 12092 *
Colour Copy 1.0.1 - revision 12092
Diva 1.4.6 - revision 15017
Filterscape 1.5.1 - revision 15664
Hive 2.1.1 - revision 12092
MFM2 2.5.0 - revision 13385
Podolski 1.2.3 - revision 12092
Presswerk 1.1.5 - revision 12092
Protoverb 1.0.1 - revision 12092
Repro 1.1.2 - revision 12092
Satin 1.3.3 - revision 15721
Triple Cheese 1.3.0 - revision 12092
Twangström 1.0.1 - revision 12092
TyrellN6 3.0 - revision 3898
Uhbik 1.3.1 - revision 8256
Zebra Legacy 2.9.3 - revision 12092
Zebralette 2.9.3 - revision 12092
ZebraCM 1.1.1 - revision 12185 *
ZebraHZ 2.9.3 - revision 12092 (included in the Zebra Legacy download)

* Linux versions for BazilleCM and ZebraCM are available via Computer Music magazine.
* Linux version for BeatZille is available via Beat magazine.

Installation & uninstallation

To install, please use the included install script.
Unpack the downloaded file, open a Terminal window in the location of the unpacked files, type "./install.sh" (without the quotes), hit Enter, and follow the instructions. Please don't try to install them manually, as this might lead to non-working plugins.

To uninstall, simply delete the plugin folder as well as the VST2 and VST3 plugin file.
You can find them in the following locations of your user's home directory:

Plugin folder: /home/YourUserName/.u-he/PluginName
VST2 plugin: /home/YourUserName/.vst/u-he/PluginName.64.so
VST3 plugin: /home/YourUserName/.vst3/u-he/PluginName.vst3

Folders with a dot as the first character will be invisible, you might have to enable a "show hidden files" option in your file manager's view menu.

Minimum system requirements:

From revision 12001 on, the minimum required glibc version is 2.28.
If the plugins won't show up in your host, this might be the reason.

Known issues and problems:

* Linux versions have no drag&drop support in the preset browser
* "install soundset" function currently not working (fixed in rev. 12001)
* Crash when using "move to trash" option in preset browser (fixed in rev. 12001)
* "convert preset to ..." dialog misses option to replace presets
* Auto-versioning option for presets not working (always off) (fixed in rev. 14785)
* No preset backup dialog when overwriting presets (fixed in rev. 14785)
* Author field in preset saving dialog will use the preset name instead of author (fixed in rev. 14785)
* Right-click preset selection frame won't disappear in preset browser (fixed in rev. 14785)
* Preset search text has to be entered in an external dialog window
* Context menus in preset browser don't limit options (will allow unsafe actions) (fixed in rev. 14785)
* Context menus in preset browser show options which should be toggled via Alt-click
* Text antialiasing option in preferences not working (always on)
* Gamma option in preferences not working (always neutral)
* Issues with Reaper's own plugins when using non-english keyboard locale
* Left-click interpreted as right-click when using custom keymap bindings

Cheers,
Tas
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 20 times in total.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

New betas for most plugins are available in the first post, revision 12001.
Those are the first release candidate (RC1) for the upcoming update round.

For more info about this RC version, please check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=567997

Not included are Filterscape, MFM2, TyrellN6, Uhbik and ZebraHZ.

A new version of ZebraHZ will be available through the usual way of requesting your download links, once we officially release the next update for all platforms. The others will receive separate updates at a later, yet undetermined date.

The crash when using the "move to trash" function has been fixed.

The "install soundset" function in the u-he badge menu is now working, so Linux users are now able to install soundsets that are using our new uhe-soundset format.

The minimum required glibc version is now 2.28.
If the plugins don't show up in your host, that might be the reason why.
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is a wonderful update! :clap:

I'm running the latest native Linux Reaper (6.32) on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

I purchased Zebra2, Presswerk, and Diva. The previous revision 10721 would just lock up and crash Reaper whenever I clicked on a text field.

In these betas, the text fields can't be edited, but they absolutely do not cause a crash. I can turn the U-He GUI off and use the generic Reaper "long list of sliders" interface to change text field parameters.

This is less than optimal, but I'll take it! I use my U-He plugins all the time.

Thank you for supporting Linux! :clap:

I'm getting occasional crashes with Zebra2 in REAPER Linux (both VST2 and VST3) when closing/opening UI. This happened also with previous build. Console output:

Code: Select all

Failed to set the xembed property property: BadAtom
Failed to set the xembed property property: BadAtom

(reaper:5817): Gdk-ERROR **: 16:23:53.464: The program 'reaper' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 25003 error_code 3 request_code 131 (XInputExtension) minor_code 40)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
Trace/Breakpoint ausgelöst (Speicherabzug geschrieben)
I'm on Arch Linux.

EDIT: sometimes, opening UI just causes permanent freeze (before UI is shown) without instant crash of the host. Console shows

Code: Select all

xcb_shm_put_image: BadDrawable

Hi i have a installed new beta version u-he synths and effects for gnu linux ( mx linux 19.4 - debian buster based) and work perfect on Bitwig Studio 4.1,Mixbus 7,Ardour 6.8, Reaper 6.32 :tu:

best regards from Naples (Italy)

gennaro
Bitwig Studio 4.0.1 - Live Ableton 10/11 standard + MaxMsp 8 - Reaper 6.3.4 - Waveform 11 - Mixbus 7 - Ardour 6.9
Mx Linux 21.4 Hp elite 8200 sff (Debian Bullseye based + kx studio) - mx linux 19.4 (Asus x54c) Windows 10

karrikuh wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:26 pm I'm getting occasional crashes with Zebra2 in REAPER Linux (both VST2 and VST3) when closing/opening UI. This happened also with previous build.
Thanks a lot for the report, I've made a ticket in our system, but I currently can't predict when Alex will have time to look into it.

SmoothMountain wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:16 am In these betas, the text fields can't be edited, but they absolutely do not cause a crash.
I am using UbuntuStudio 21.04 KDE Plasma over here, and the menus are working ok when using the plugins in Reaper.

With text fields you mean any drop down menus, i.e. menus that reveal their options when being clicked? Or something else?
Have you tried using the mouse wheel to change their values, does this work at least?

karrikuh wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:26 pm I'm getting occasional crashes with Zebra2 in REAPER Linux ...
I'm on Arch Linux.
I think Ubuntu Studio with an nvidia graphics card is the optimum arrangement for complex plugin gui's. There are some ardent, friendly, and accomplished Arch (Manjaro variant) users at the linux Reaper forum, I'm sure they could give some good advice...specify your hardware/software spec etc

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

and a nice Manjaro pro-audio setup-guide and topic:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

@U-he team: Thanks for the many updates. Using the linux versions is like getting accidentally locked in overnight at an Anderton's store! :hyper:
Cheers

Thanks a lot for this update..

Will test the 12001 build from now on

Could we have a heads up when ZebraHZ is ready for download via the usual way ?

Thank you for the latest beta for Triple Cheese! While I own the Zebra2 and ZebraHZ, TC remains a favorite for me mostly because it's simple and just a lot of fun to use. :tu:

[EDIT] Installed TC in a custom installation of Lubuntu 20.04 with the QT GUI and running inside of Renoise 3.2.2. The new TC GUI looks great and has a snappy response. No issues at all so far. Happy to see the preset selector changed as well. TC does feel like a whole new instrument. :)
Last edited by The Traveler on Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Subarumannen wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 pm Could we have a heads up when ZebraHZ is ready for download via the usual way ?
Once the updates are officially released, the ZebraHZ Linux version will be available, too.
I can post a note over here when that happens.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:51 am
SmoothMountain wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:16 am In these betas, the text fields can't be edited, but they absolutely do not cause a crash.
I am using UbuntuStudio 21.04 KDE Plasma over here, and the menus are working ok when using the plugins in Reaper.

With text fields you mean any drop down menus, i.e. menus that reveal their options when being clicked? Or something else?
Have you tried using the mouse wheel to change their values, does this work at least?
The text fields at the bottom of the UI (in Zebra2), like voice mode, voices, pitch bend, etc.

I didn't test using the mouse wheel. I was so glad they didn't crash! :hyper:
But you are right, the mouse wheel changes the values. This is great! :clap:

The only place the mouse wheel doesn't work is in the preferences. I had to manually edit Zebra2.preferences.txt in ~/.u-he/Zebra2/Support to change the AllViews:DefaultSize parameter.

Thank you for supporting Linux!!!
Last edited by SmoothMountain on Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also, the Voice Micro Tuning field opens a popup window, and when I select different values, they instantly change the value in the field, and the selection remains after the popup window is closed. So - it works perfectly!

Thanks again!

SmoothMountain wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:23 pm The text fields at the bottom of the UI (in Zebra2), like voice mode, voices, pitch bend, etc.
Thanks, I've created a ticket in our bug tracking system for this.
I can't say when Alex will have the time to look into it, as he is currently very occupied with his other jobs and projects.

New RC2 betas available in the first post of this thread, revision 12092.

The install.sh script is now using bin/bash.
The issue with the random crash for one user and the dropdown menus not working for another user still remain.
Alex didn't have the time to look into these just yet.

More info about this RC2 can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=568851

Return to “u-he Linux support”