E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.9 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
40 posts since 25 Jun, 2021

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:13 am

e-crooner wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:12 am
R2 sounds a bit unspectacular at first, but once you know it inside out, it is pretty capable :) The best 10 dollars I ever invested re music software :hihi:
Thanks for sharing the patch. It’s great sharing common interests! I had a try last night, and Retrologue 2 is very good. I’ll have another go tonight, and see if I can sort out the scaling of the UI, as the vst was quite small on my monitor.

I’m very much a purist and love getting back to basics. I’d happily sit playing a chunky low-cut saw combined with a bit of noise, all day long 😀

The sound and workflow of Invader 2 has found a home with me.

KVRAF
1694 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:04 am

Nice little synth.

And the registration was easy peasy.

KVRist

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:16 am

mjudge55 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:56 am
Doesn't it have legato via the dropdown under glide? Sorry if this was covered.
That worked great. Thank you! For some reason, I was expecting to see the setting under the polyphony selection area. I should read the manual…

KVRian

Topic Starter

654 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:24 am

I decided to make the version I am working on available and give you a sneak peak. I will be 'off the grid' for a couple of weeks, so I thought it would be nice to give you something to play with in the meantime ;-) This version is work in progress but I think has some nice improvements that are usable as is. I do expect a bug or 2 as this update required some mayor changes to the synth engine.

v1.0.8 NEXT
  • Adds sustain pedal support
  • Fix: update midi controller status after loading preset.
  • Fix: song conversion from v1.0.3 working again
  • The position of the preset 'save' button has changed
  • Reworked MIDI note handling
  • Key assign mode selection added:
    • REUSE: reuse already playing voices with the same midi note
    • NEW: assigns midi notes to new voices if available
  • ARP now works correctly in polyphonic mode
  • ARP now handles velocity
  • SEQ now has 2 play modes, Sequencer Play (Poly) and Sequencer Play (Seq).
    • Sequencer Play (Poly) plays the (polyphonic) notes you play and applies the pitch of the sequencer to the notes
    • Sequencer Play (Seq) plays the sequence transposed to the note you play.
  • Unused PW / SYNC controls are hidden when Triangle or Saw oscillator types are active.
  • Oscillators that have exactly the the same pitch (or a multiple) are synced when a note is triggered. (to improve consistency in sound)
  • New phase offset slider added to control the initial phase when oscillators are synced/restarted.
  • Reduced 'clicking' when using the ARP with the triangle oscillator
  • Presets are updated for the new phase controls
You can download version 1.0.8 NEXT directly below v1.0.7:
https://www.e-phonic.com/invader.html

KVRAF
6663 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 am

Thank you, E-Phonic!

KVRist

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:39 am

Brilliant ! Thank you!

GRRRRRRR!
12342 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 pm

If you like Invader, you should check out GR-8, in the Dev Challenge, if you haven't already. They are superficially similar, yet surprisingly different.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
4692 posts since 25 Dec, 2004

Post Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:28 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 am
sqigls wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:37 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:10 pm
For synth basses I still like Sylenth1 the most. It has a lot of Moog DNA 8)
I actually compared Sylenth1 to my DSI Tempest a couple of years ago, when i was trying to drag my live sets away from relying on too much hardware. I could get it sounding the same, every time. And I'm a fussy c**t. So Sylenth ended up as my live bass synth, in one project at least. not to hijack the thread with talk about another synth :P
Just looked it up, wasn't Tempest a drum computer? In what way did you compare it to Sylenth1?! 8) Sure, you can make drum sounds on Sylenth1, pretty good ones for a normal synth actually, but still, probably far inferior to Tempest.

Yeah the Tempest is a drum synth... but it's pretty much a 6 voice poly analog. Curtis filters yay.
It's solid though. I one particular project (dub reggae) i had it running as my drums and bass. Drums i have a billion options, bass i wanted something that responded to midi patch change messages, Sylenth was one option, and for the most part it was a solid low end as the Tempest. yay trivia. It was just a surprise to me is all... I never really bothered to use Sylenth for basses before.

GRRRRRRR!

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:03 pm

I think this instrument is worth resurrecting this thread for. I've got hold of a few similar things lately - GR-8, Deducktion and Saurus. They are good, solid synths but I think Invader 2 outshines them all. There is something really nice about the way it sounds and the layout is excellent, which makes it a real pleasure to work with.

I use it for a few different things but where it seems to excel is with strings patches. There are a couple of good strings presets that are excellent stepping off points for making your own. On one of our songs I've got it sounding more like a sampled string ensemble than a synth, to really good effect. And the feature set is good enough that it's more versatile than it might seem at first. It's a really good thing.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
2388 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 am

It is a really nice synth and I feel like it probably won't get the publicity it deserves. The diffusion delay is great and the ring mod and sync make it capable of some very cool sounds.

KVRAF
3378 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:38 am

Invader 2 is an understated masterpiece, in my experience so far.
A well-behaved signature.

KVRAF
3450 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am

Here are eight of the patches I have made so far...

https://app.box.com/s/kyxac75skcksx9hhg7mx9u0c6rqzznkz

KVRian
702 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Like the synth. It's clean, simple and high quality. The sound is kind of clinical or precise in some hard to explain way so I often end up throwing like a cassette tape or saturation/distortion on afterwards, but I like stuff that sounds like a mess.

KVRAF
1694 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:50 am

OK, I officially love this synth, I know, because I can spend hours making up sounds with it, which is really easy to do because of the great UI. :)

So my number feature request is ............... please do not be tempted to clutter it with added features.

Having said that, would it be possible to implement a bi-timbral mode with split keyboard without causing clutter ?

I know nothing about programming, but is that a really hard thing to do ?

GRRRRRRR!

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:30 pm

Why would you need that when you can just load two instances and do a keyboard split in your host?

My only request would be more oomph in the filter's drive or maybe some post-filter saturation as well. But I can fatten it up with effects so it's no biggie.

Return to “Instruments”