Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

BONES wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:19 am
Interesting piece. It reminds me quite strongly of Mainesthai.
thanks!

the name and the people behind Mainestai, were unknown to me, and the music, a bit strange, o well i don't know them all. great find!
crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:15 pm Has he added any new features or really done anything with it? Since he went with PA, it seems like Thorn has sort of stagnated. Still a great synth, though.
DS Thorn - Changelog

Version 1.3.0 (Sep 17, 2021)
- fixed several crash bugs
- fixed artifacts when using low buffersizexs

Version 1.2.1 (Jun 6, 2019)
- fixed issues with Bitwig Studio on Mac in VST3
- fixed a crash in Cakewalk Sonar 2019.01 on Windows in VST3
- fixed a crash with Error c0000005 in Cakewalk on Windows in VST3
- fixed Thorn opens in Mono only in Studio One 4
- fixed issues with relocated Document folder on Windows
- fixed a crash in Reaper in VST3 when selecting the generic UI

Version 1.2 (Feb 7, 2019)
- Initial released version
so PA didn't communicate this, as the with the LION synth. o well. now i know.
and indeed i had 1.2.2, that isn't mentioned...
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:54 pm My monthly expired 26th… What a coincidence…; - )
ok, that solves it, never a mega sale, when the monthly voucher is active, couldn't find any email about it, strangely.

but well, not always the lowest prices in a mega sale, knif (the happy nickname) is more expensive, than in the lowest sale i saw (and bought).

but for Thorn.... well go for it! quite a special synth, with a great bandwidth of possibilities, and sounds, and the overall sound: great!

Things go to PA = Development stops, shame.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:13 pm Things go to PA = Development stops, shame.
i know this is bit 'mean', is this the right phrasing? but Reason's Rack Extensions, well not much development either. mostly they are finished products.

LION did receive some updates, but is a finished product.

so perhaps, it is PA, or it are finished products...

something like byome/triad/lion is never finished imho
there's always a filtertype, another OSC, another granular another etc etc etc to add
lion could make great use of a sidechain input imho
as also byome/triad with midi input
there's always something to add, expand, make faster, wider and so on :-)

WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am
LeVzi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am The PA download manager doesn't tell you if there are updates though does it ? Or am I missing something ?
no, that is quite a lack of functionality.

only pa does send emals when there are updates, but not always, it seems.

the pa installer also doesn't take care of activations...

the only pre is: installing all your plugins of pa in one go...
I've never had one email front them for updates for any if the plugins I own from them . Turns out I've missed updates.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:54 pm My monthly expired 26th… What a coincidence…; - )
They did that to me a few months back. My voucher was supposed to be good until the 31st but they started yet another sale before the end of the month and suddenly my voucher was no longer valid before the 31st. :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

They always send out an email some time before it expires, there it is said until the end of the month and 26th is mentioned also somewhere. If you don‘t read carefully it can be overseen..
On the other hand we should not be too greedy, the devs need some cash as well. I don‘t mind to pay 30 for Silo and I did…

Well when you mention greedy and Plugin Alliance in the same breath it does generate some irony.

Anyway when they send an e-mail that says your voucher is good until the 31st then just change that at will it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth whether they notify you or not (I do not remember getting such a warning email).

I already own all the PA plugins I want except for two and they're still crazy over priced at the moment so I'll just wait, no hurry. I did buy something in their "flood" sale so have already done my part.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

crickey13 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:37 am I have an offline computer
Again, why? It seems like you are making a rod for your own back. If you find being on line a distraction, just turn your wi-fi off while you're working. Personally, I couldn't work without being on line for access to manuals, help/support and other resources that make life easier.
nichttuntun wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:16 amThe only thing I couldn't figure out yet is where it shows if updates are avaliable. I only can re-select the plugins completely.
Do you know if there is a hidden screen?
The Softube and Arturia installer for example do this on their own and show a notification.
Sorry, I'm not aware of anything but I'm not big on updates, I normally don't care if I know about them or not.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 am Again, why? It seems like you are making a rod for your own back. If you find being on line a distraction, just turn your wi-fi off while you're working. Personally, I couldn't work without being on line for access to manuals, help/support and other resources that make life easier.
I have a shi**y wi-fi network where I live, there's not much to remedy this at the moment. I have to haul my laptop all the way to the other side of the house whenever I need access to the internet, so it's not exactly optimal.

crickey13 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 am I have a shi**y wi-fi network where I live…
Get a powerline adapter or some other net expander…

Yeah, that would be annoying as hell. I can't believe there was a time, just a couple of years ago, when I only turned my modem on when I wanted to access the 'net for a specific purpose. One day I didn't bother turning it off and now I feel like I need to have it on all the time and can't imagine why I didn't always get that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

SLiC wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:13 pm Things go to PA = Development stops, shame.
Pretty sure Dmitry was working on Diversion 2,abd Tantra 2 before adding more to Thorn.

Unfiltered Audio seem to develop quite a lot.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

f**king M1 support jesus christ, ilok is going to be faster than PA and consequently anything sold via PA.
WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm so perhaps, it is PA, or it are finished products...
:lol: :lol:

Ploki wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:13 am f**king M1 support jesus christ, ilok is going to be faster than PA and consequently anything sold via PA.
WasteLand wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm so perhaps, it is PA, or it are finished products...
:lol: :lol:
:scared: :help: but i am on windows... :party: :help: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Return to “Instruments”