Bitwig Studio 4.1 Beta release is imminent

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I’m happy about Bend. Been wanting non-linear portamento for the built in synths for a long time.

Come on KVR, I almost have - Bingo - on my KVR New Release Reaction Bingo... all you need to do now is start talking about the price. Sometimes I think this forum is filled with bots that react to the word "release" in the most predictable manner.

Now... please start talking about the price for a few pages, or lack thereof, so I can put this bingo card aside. Or... someone can say "Dirk" (I know, wrong company), that'll do too. Haha.

foosnark wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm
PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 pm I would just like to see a point-release or two whose theme was Bitwig's job as a DAW, not just a sonic playground.
...you mean like the comping that was the big deal with 4.0? Or maybe even the strumming device, which I can't really see as "quirky and experimental" at all?

Everyone has a different idea of what "Bitwig's job as a DAW" is, and everyone has a list of features they want that haven't been implemented yet. The devs' own list is probably longer than all of ours put together.
khmm viewtopic.php?f=259&t=562702&p=8063605 :) maybe would create a "THREE features you'd not pay upgrade price for?" list too :hihi:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

teknobryan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:11 pm Well I’m happy about Bend. Been wanting non-linear portamento for the built in synths for a long time.
Same for every note? If you wanted non-linear portamento, you could've simply draw the pitch curve for notes that required it right there in the piano roll.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:08 pm Pity they didn't finish the comping by adding midi comping.
...or MIDI out from Grid. Both would fit right in the "Let there be notes!" slogan.
Music tech enthusiast

xbitz wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:26 pm
PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 pm I would just like to see a point-release or two whose theme was Bitwig's job as a DAW, not just a sonic playground.
...you mean like the comping that was the big deal with 4.0? Or maybe even the strumming device, which I can't really see as "quirky and experimental" at all?

Everyone has a different idea of what "Bitwig's job as a DAW" is, and everyone has a list of features they want that haven't been implemented yet. The devs' own list is probably longer than all of ours put together.
khmm viewtopic.php?f=259&t=562702&p=8063605 :) maybe would create a "THREE features you'd not pay upgrade price for?" list too :hihi:
Yeh, 500+ people vote for 20+ features they want to see and they don t get one of them, that quite a miss especially as there are quite a few easy wins on there :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 pm But at what point are they going to address in any meaningful measure Bitwig's function as a DAW, as a workspace? Broadly speaking, the last time they did anything like that was with the release of version 2.0, which was... 4 and a half years ago?
did you forget they added Comping in 4.0, one of the most requested "DAW / workspace" features?

people seem to have very selective memories around here....

mholloway wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:39 pm
PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 pm But at what point are they going to address in any meaningful measure Bitwig's function as a DAW, as a workspace? Broadly speaking, the last time they did anything like that was with the release of version 2.0, which was... 4 and a half years ago?
did you forget they added Comping in 4.0, one of the most requested "DAW / workspace" features?

people seem to have very selective memories around here....
1/2 of comping was added, still waiting for midi....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 pm 1/2 of comping was added, still waiting for midi....
I'd even say 1/3 :)

I want audio comping, MIDI comping and ...hybrid comping, where when you bounce-in-place MIDI the notes will be pushed down to take lane and audio will be put in the comp lane, and you would be able to comp between the 2 like always.
Music tech enthusiast

pdxindy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm
Aliam Sigsaly wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:19 pm After the initial excitement, I have to say that if that's all there is then it's probably one of the weakest releases ever... Don't we already have enough devices & features to randomise stuff? Wasn't 4.0 covering a lot of that already, with operators and expression spreads? Don't we already have Note Repeats (called "Note Echo")? And no actual DAW features, just some devices that look like they were hastily made in 5 minutes?

:(

Out of the listed devices Strum looks like potentially most useful and - indeed - Sampler's release chain sounds appealing, but everything else? Meh.
Specially boring are FXs that work only on native devices (I bet my shoes Note FX will work only on these ones) - so boring..
What size?
:hihi:
Well, as we can now see, I should ask the q. :D

So boooring.......... :party:

But I like more colours - feel almost like this grl: https://youtu.be/L98pX-4z_aA - so at least not useless update... But in PT you can mix your own clr for maybe like 10 y, that´s serious reason for switch..

ridiculous whinging about this release - very solid improvement that is consistent with Bitwig's generative music focus. Has me thinking about upgrading when the sales are on although I might wait another year

Upgraded Live Suite to 11 last night. We'll see but it's very possible I skip back to Live for a clip based DAW. I have to say the main reasons all fit into what is being discussed here, Bitwig's recent emphasis is on adding in generative experimental techniques directly into the DAW which is cool but give us the basics first. For instance folding audio for comping is specifically useful if you're looking to experiment with your own noodling, but where's the setup for multitrack drum comping? MIDI comping is eminently a far better thing to have to me. I love Bitwigs UX compared, but all the options for streching audio in Live vs Bitwig etc. Even down to the color palette, cool, let us choose, oh wait? we have to find a jpg that has colors we like?

The work put in to these note generators is obvious, it just seems weird to spend any amount of time on this when it could have been put into MIDI Grid. It's not hard to imagine these as parts of a MIDI Grid system that allows you to manipulate incoming or recorded MIDI.

+1

I very much like the Bitwig comping. Being clip based is to me, an advantage. Plus of course I can comp in the Clip Launcher. That is a pretty unique capability.

I don't see a difference between a DAW and a Sonic Playground. Unless maybe DAW stands for Drudgery And Work :hihi: Sonic Playground sounds so much more fun :tu:

Now that I have had a chance to try the beta out, I am more satisfied than at first glance. Take the Strum device. There was no way to do that before. And it is flexible and modulatable.

I also like that the Arpeggiator received one tiny new feature. "Update Rate at Next Step". It was always tricky modulating the Arp rate and getting the timing right. Now it is easy to do.

The Note Repeats is sweet!

There are a variety of useful touches in the new devices. Randomize has pitch randomization. The important point is it has a constrain to semitones option! That wasn't possible before. Now one can randomize pitch and use the Key Filter (previously called diatonic transposer) to fit to scale.

Using the new devices for working with midi notes gives useful results not previously possible. Being able to manipulate midi notes is a basic DAW capability. Perhaps if some of these functions were added as piano roll options, it would be 'great, attention to basic functionality' but because they are added as Note FX devices, they are esoteric and quirky.

The addition that comes to mind now would be a bounce to midi function.

Aliam Sigsaly wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:54 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm
Aliam Sigsaly wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm Specially boring are FXs that work only on native devices (I bet my shoes Note FX will work only on these ones) - so boring..
What size?
:hihi:
Well, as we can now see, I should ask the q. :D
I just used the new Note FX devices with Hive... so you are incorrect. They do not 'only work on native devices'.

I don't actually want your shoes though. :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:12 pm Using the new devices for working with midi notes gives useful results not previously possible. Being able to manipulate midi notes is a basic DAW capability. Perhaps if some of these functions were added as piano roll options, it would be 'great, attention to basic functionality' but because they are added as Note FX devices, they are esoteric and quirky.
A lot of the whining in here is coming from people who haven't bothered to understand what the new tools even do / how they work. One guy said it "looks like nice new stuff for the modular environment, not for the DAW itself" -- he's 100% wrong, of course, but when did that stop people posting in KVR...others have said "it's only for randomization and generative music." That mostly reveals the limitations of people's imaginations, I guess. Yes, this stuff works well in that realm, but it also works well in expanding MIDI performances / recorded note data in new and interesting ways.

All in all I'm frankly surprised at the amount of "but we want STANDARD DAW features" posts in here. I honestly thought Bitwig was the DAW people went to to get away from boring standard DAWs. Shruuuuuug.

For me this is useful and interesting stuff. I'm very happy to see the Note FX section get such a big expansion.

I've actually never seen a KVR thread about a DAW update that didn't mostly include bitching and moaning though, so no real surprise there, I guess.

Return to “Bitwig”