NOte ON with value zero showed as note off ?

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Long story short , the cirklon might send Note On messages with a velocity of zero instead of note off messages ( according to someone on the cirkln forum )
This is essential when sequencing the Roland R8m, because note -off release times define the sound release tail etc.
However , while routing the cirklon midi in to Architect(over usb) , it does show Note off
Could it be that architect automatically renames NOTE ON with value zero to NOte off's ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Using a noteon with zero velocity is - or at least was - quite common back in the day. It's called "running status", and it means that you can send a stream of note-on and -off messages on the same channel in an optimised format. This saves a byte per note, a negligible amount now, but one which did make a difference back in the early days of MIDI when bandwidth was super constrained.

I was under the impression that I did treat noteons with zero velocity as noteoffs, at least internally, but it seems there are a few places where this can happen. I'll get it fixed.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

No need to fix it
As I wrote , the cirklon sends note ON with value zero and architect shows these as NOTE OFF's
Nothing to worry about it all , I was just curious
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Loomer”