u-he - The Performance Update (M1 support & more)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

Is there a performance comparison table with the U-he plugins in apple silicon versus the PC version? I use several U-he vstis
and they take a lot of cpu so I would like to know how is the performance in the M1 to see if its worth the change.
And how does it works in the lowest latency settings (64 or less)?

M1 u-he works insanely good with 64.
I've only compared it to the old i7-8700, but the difference in lower buffers esp was pretty crazy.

I have the 13" entry M1 and i barely ever change from 64 to anything higher because it doesn't really make a difference.

Can't say for PC because this was on a Mac, but i never considered PC to be any better at low latency vs Mac anyway. similar stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I just downloaded Filterscape from the main effects page of the website and the download file says rev. 3899 but the plugin itself says 7859. Just want to make sure I have the latest, even if it's beta. In fact, is there a beta I can try?

Ploki wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:33 pm M1 u-he works insanely good with 64.
I've only compared it to the old i7-8700, but the difference in lower buffers esp was pretty crazy.

I have the 13" entry M1 and i barely ever change from 64 to anything higher because it doesn't really make a difference.

Can't say for PC because this was on a Mac, but i never considered PC to be any better at low latency vs Mac anyway. similar stuff
I already knew those tests from a year ago, I was hoping there would be comparisons using other vstis (mainly Zebra and Repro that I own).
Thanks anyway!

I don't have access to my Mini anymore, but the results were in the ballpark of what i posted with Repro. Never tried zebra

killmaster wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:30 pm I just downloaded Filterscape from the main effects page of the website and the download file says rev. 3899 but the plugin itself says 7859. Just want to make sure I have the latest, even if it's beta. In fact, is there a beta I can try?
3899 is the most recent one.
If the plugin still shows 7859, then manually uninstall and then run the 3899 installer again, please.
Uninstall instructions can be found here: https://u-he.com/support/faq.html#compa ... :uninstall

We'll work on a Filterscape update once the MFM2.5 update is finished.
Currently there is no beta available.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:29 am
killmaster wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:30 pm I just downloaded Filterscape from the main effects page of the website and the download file says rev. 3899 but the plugin itself says 7859. Just want to make sure I have the latest, even if it's beta. In fact, is there a beta I can try?
3899 is the most recent one.
If the plugin still shows 7859, then manually uninstall and then run the 3899 installer again, please.
Uninstall instructions can be found here: https://u-he.com/support/faq.html#compa ... :uninstall

We'll work on a Filterscape update once the MFM2.5 update is finished.
Currently there is no beta available.
Thanks. I'll try to uninstall. I did re-install but didn't uninstall first.

EDIT: worked! Thanks a lot!

I can't help but wonder how the new Filterscape will compare to Minimal Audio Rift 2. That thing has some nice features. I know both will be great in their own rites!

Has anyone tested M1 versus M1 Pro, M1 Max?

blue monk wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:03 am Has anyone tested M1 versus M1 Pro, M1 Max?
Posted in the Ableton forum --> for audio the performance of M1 Pro and Max will be similar...

16" MacBook Pro M1Max / 32GB RAM / 1TB
MacOS 12.3
Live 11.1.1
Logic Pro 10.7.3
Diva 1.4.5 demo
RME Fireface 800
Sample rate 48k in all tests
Audio Buffer 256 Samples as per Machinesworking's test specs:

Live: 32 Divas before crackling.
Logic Pro: 35 Divas before stopping with alert.

Some very interesting results with lower Audio Buffer settings though...

Live's performance stays the same at 128 samples, then decreases at 64 and 32 samples:
128 Samples:
32 Divas before crackling.
64 Samples:
24 Divas before crackling.
32 Samples:
9 Divas before crackling.

But here's the weird one - Logic's performance increases at 128 samples, and this increase remains present down to 64 and 32 samples:

128 and 64 and 32 Samples:
36 Divas before stopping with alert.

Logic only uses smallest buffer for live input tracks, it defaults to 1024 for anything not live-input if i recall correctly.

That means to test with buffer, you need to make a stack so you trigger live input on all tested tracks.

cadiz wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:51 pm
blue monk wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:03 am Has anyone tested M1 versus M1 Pro, M1 Max?
Posted in the Ableton forum --> for audio the performance of M1 Pro and Max will be similar...
I have to consider Mac mini versus Mac Studio.

The current mini has no M1 Pro option.
The lowest M1 has 4 performance cores versus 2 versions of the M1 Pro with 6 and 8 performance cores respectively.

I don't know how performance scales with CPU cores when used for music (soft synths in particular).

blue monk wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am
cadiz wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:51 pm
I have to consider Mac mini versus Mac Studio.

The lowest M1 has 4 performance cores versus 2 versions of the M1 Pro with 6 and 8 performance cores respectively.

I don't know how performance scales with CPU cores when used for music (soft synths in particular).
So Mac Studio (M1 Max) performance is the same as MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max performance (14 or 16 inch)

blue monk wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am I have to consider Mac mini versus Mac Studio.

geekbench results are pretty indicative.

it's around 1.33x for the 6+2 and 1.65x for the 8+2.

Efficiency cores do matter

cadiz wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:43 am
So Mac Studio (M1 Max) performance is the same as MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max performance (14 or 16 inch)
The cooling is different the 14 versus 16 inch MacBook Pro and of course different to the Mac Studio.
According to a youtube video, the Mac Studio with M1 Max CPU does in some cases speed throttle later than MacBooks, thus would have a slight advantage.
However, the Mac Studio is allegedly never really silent whereas MacBooks and Mac mini are.
The Mac mini from late 2012 with 4 CPU cores has the habit of blasting the fans to annoying levels regularly. The alleged constant noise* of the Mac Studio with M1 Max could potentially be on a level that owners of Intel Macs will find negligible, not sure.

*I haven't heard it myself, M1 Ultra has a different cooling system and may or may not be constantly audible like the Mac Studio with M1 Max.

Return to “u-he”