Arturia V Collection 9 - Official Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

chk071 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:32 pm
Stefken wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:19 pm
Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:14 am I have to say after putting the MS-20 up against my KLC MS-20 I'm not so impressed
hmmm, what you typically do is put an emulation up against the hardware.
I have the hardware here. The KLC was always disappointing and imo the reason why Korg has endorsed the arturia one. No way they would do that if they had a successfull emulation imo.

The arturia emulation is not perfect but it captures the soul of the ms-20 pretty good (and adds extra's).
That's the kind of posts I would like to see more often here, when it comes to emulations. :)

Sure, it's just an opinion, but, emulations can only be measured by how close they come to the original, obviously.
I am assuming that Korg still like their own emulation and its authenticity (over others?) even though they endorsed the MS-20 V. Otherwise that doesn't look so good for Korg's software emulations and their reputation, but then I wouldn't know the business deal that goes on behind the scene.

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:31 pm I've put the oscilloscope on both v3 and v4 of the Arturia, and there's nothing like this notch here. This seems very odd to me - surely the waveform is where you'd start with any emulation? Curious to hear from Arturia or those well versed in such things make of it.
I think I see a bit of the notch. Make sure that the LPF cutoff and master BRILL are both all the way up though.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

poonna wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:51 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:31 pm I've put the oscilloscope on both v3 and v4 of the Arturia, and there's nothing like this notch here. This seems very odd to me - surely the waveform is where you'd start with any emulation? Curious to hear from Arturia or those well versed in such things make of it.
I think I see a bit of the notch. Make sure that the LPF cutoff and master BRILL are both all the way up though.
Can't see anything here even with those turned fully up.

It's much more obvious than this if it's there.

EDIT - this is from someone else with the Braids:

Note that aside from the notch, the shape of the main ramp is different too.

I don't know if this is the same as the hardware, mind.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Here's one from my Softube Braids, with Timbre set to lowest. Higher values add rectangular bumps as in your image.

Here's one from my CS-80 V.

The one from CS-80 V is lower in level, and the oscillator does not go directly to the output as in Braids. It has to go through the filter first, so the shape might probably lose its sharpness a bit.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:47 pm I am assuming that Korg still like their own emulation and its authenticity (over others?) even though they endorsed the MS-20 V.
Isn't it that Arturia pay for being able to use the original name? At least that's the rumours I always read about it.

It's a selling point. The emulation has the original name, so it has to sound like the original. :)

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:58 pm
poonna wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:51 pm
Can't see anything here even with those turned fully up.

It's much more obvious than this if it's there.

EDIT - this is from someone else with the Braids:

Note that aside from the notch, the shape of the main ramp is different too.

I don't know if this is the same as the hardware, mind.
I wonder if the ME80 has this sawtooth shape.

Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:28 pm Interesting, so how does the MS-20 V generally compare to your hardware MS-20. Where does it differ?
I didn t run any technical analysis but it is quite apparent that the oscillators and the resultant sound have more weight in the hardware. ( I typically give Arturia's synths a bit more oumph with a saturator.)

P.s. : my apologies to people who dislike non-technical terms like weight and oumph but that is just part of natural language. :) :D
Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:28 pm I admit the KLC MS-20 does sound cleaner, maybe I just prefer that sound?
Well, the MS-20 is a screamer in it s core.

Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:47 pm I am assuming that Korg still like their own emulation and its authenticity (over others?) even though they endorsed the MS-20 V. Otherwise that doesn't look so good for Korg's software emulations and their reputation, but then I wouldn't know the business deal that goes on behind the scene.
Dunno. Their software suite was left unmaintained for quite a while. It finally got an update but it was left untouched for many years, sitting in the corner somewhere. Imo Korg knows that software is not their strongest selling point.

Doing a remake of the fullsize MS-20 and off the Arp2600 affirms for me personally that they are more of a hardware company. That s OK, they make great and affordable hardware and the MS-20 for one is quite a unique synth. I don t know any other synth that is such a screamer :D :D .

Hemmick Reef wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:47 pm I am assuming that Korg still like their own emulation and its authenticity (over others?) even though they endorsed the MS-20 V. Otherwise that doesn't look so good for Korg's software emulations and their reputation, but then I wouldn't know the business deal that goes on behind the scene.
Arturia says they collaborated with Korg.
We partnered with KORG to re-engineer the most faithful emulation of this iconic instrument yet.
Source: Arturia - KORG MS-20 V product page
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:50 am
Arturia says they collaborated with Korg.
We partnered with KORG to re-engineer the most faithful emulation of this iconic instrument yet.
Source: Arturia - KORG MS-20 V product page
It's good to see a long established synthesizer company like Korg working with Arturia - it really does validate the quality of Arturia's emulations.
I still like and will continue to use the KLC MS-20 though, for how long it remains supported now?
But I can't resist updating my V-Collection to obtain these new and updated synths, with
the Korg MS-20 V growing on me fast! It's just getting use to the different pot positions, which differ from the KLC MS-20 - to get a similar sound.
One gripe I had with the KLC is the surprising omission of being able to save banks, which Arturia have incorporated well in their software.

Ok so I finally downloaded the demos of the new synthesizers (apart from the Augmented stuff that I ain't interested in at all).

Korg MS-20:

Really nice emulation of this beast. From what I remember playing this monster, I'd say they got it pretty damn close to the original. Some of the more extreme settings do require you to oversample it heavily. Luckily it does manage to work at 384kHz so it's no problem oversampling it using DDMF Metaplugin (for zero latency IIR filters) or the built in per plugin oversampling in Reaper (1x buffer latency). At this sample rate it naturally uses tons of CPU but it's definitely worth it if you plan on using ringmod + sync + feedback routings or any kind of heavy modulation madness.

Prophet-5 V:

Never been a huge fan of the basic sound of this synth. It's just too buzzy/thick to my liking. The Arturia model is even more fuzzy in it's oscillators.. especially the saw. It does calm down a tiny bit by oversampling it to 192kHz (which is the highest rate it supports, bugging out at 384kHz and above). Still.. I guess it's probably a very close emulation but I just don't like it. I also thoroughly dislike that we need to use up two modulation slots in the keyboard tracking just to make it velocity sensitive. Annoying. This one is "meh.." at best.

Prophet-VS V

This one I like a lot!! Quite flexible and it can do tons of different sounds! The filter resonance and some of the waveforms seem to benefit from oversampling (and it supports up to 384kHz without problems) though I suspect the original digital system within the synth was very alias prone so oversampling may not be a good bet for authenticity, however, if you go outside the emulation itself, this is an absolutely beautifully capable synthesizer on it's own. Very easy to create evolving sounds and plucks that just ooze personality. This is my favorite of the 3 and the one I'm probably going to purchase as an upgrade to my previous V Collection 8.

I do not feel like upgrading the whole collection at this point.. but I am seriously considering the Prophet-VS as I'm having way too much fun with the demo. I do already have a few options in the vector synthesis area but the prophet just sounds quite unique somehow. Definitely seems like a bargain at the upgrade price of 49 euros. Lots of fun to be had with this one!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hm, upgrade from 8 to 9 for 150 € for stuff that I don't want/need. Does anyone know how the upgrade price usually develops if I skip a year?

bmanic wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 pm Ok so I finally downloaded the demos of the new synthesizers (apart from the Augmented stuff that I ain't interested in at all).

Korg MS-20:

Really nice emulation of this beast. From what I remember playing this monster, I'd say they got it pretty damn close to the original. Some of the more extreme settings do require you to oversample it heavily. Luckily it does manage to work at 384kHz so it's no problem oversampling it using DDMF Metaplugin (for zero latency IIR filters) or the built in per plugin oversampling in Reaper (1x buffer latency). At this sample rate it naturally uses tons of CPU but it's definitely worth it if you plan on using ringmod + sync + feedback routings or any kind of heavy modulation madness.

Prophet-5 V:

Never been a huge fan of the basic sound of this synth. It's just too buzzy/thick to my liking. The Arturia model is even more fuzzy in it's oscillators.. especially the saw. It does calm down a tiny bit by oversampling it to 192kHz (which is the highest rate it supports, bugging out at 384kHz and above). Still.. I guess it's probably a very close emulation but I just don't like it. I also thoroughly dislike that we need to use up two modulation slots in the keyboard tracking just to make it velocity sensitive. Annoying. This one is "meh.." at best.

Prophet-VS V

This one I like a lot!! Quite flexible and it can do tons of different sounds! The filter resonance and some of the waveforms seem to benefit from oversampling (and it supports up to 384kHz without problems) though I suspect the original digital system within the synth was very alias prone so oversampling may not be a good bet for authenticity, however, if you go outside the emulation itself, this is an absolutely beautifully capable synthesizer on it's own. Very easy to create evolving sounds and plucks that just ooze personality. This is my favorite of the 3 and the one I'm probably going to purchase as an upgrade to my previous V Collection 8.

I do not feel like upgrading the whole collection at this point.. but I am seriously considering the Prophet-VS as I'm having way too much fun with the demo. I do already have a few options in the vector synthesis area but the prophet just sounds quite unique somehow. Definitely seems like a bargain at the upgrade price of 49 euros. Lots of fun to be had with this one!
Agree about the Prophet-VS. It's very nice. Also the piano sounds great. The longer I spend with the MS20, the less impressed with it I am. The actual MS20 is one of all time favorite synths, and perhaps it's one of the hardest to get that last few percent of analog accuracy right, but to me it's just not there. I was so hopeful, as I really liked the Synth V (though was not so familiar with the hardware), so if there was any bias, it should have been in a favorable direction. I really don't see what all the fuss is about with that one.

bnz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:28 pm Hm, upgrade from 8 to 9 for 150 € for stuff that I don't want/need. Does anyone know how the upgrade price usually develops if I skip a year?
If you wait 2 years you can get it for $99€.
Or if you wait 2 years and 3 months you’ll be able to get V10 for $249€.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Hemmick Reef wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 am It's good to see a long established synthesizer company like Korg working with Arturia - it really does validate the quality of Arturia's emulations.
I still like and will continue to use the KLC MS-20 though, for how long it remains supported now?
But I can't resist updating my V-Collection to obtain these new and updated synths, with
the Korg MS-20 V growing on me fast! It's just getting use to the different pot positions, which differ from the KLC MS-20 - to get a similar sound.
One gripe I had with the KLC is the surprising omission of being able to save banks, which Arturia have incorporated well in their software.
Yeah I like Korg's MS-20 plugin too. It's actually pretty decent. The parameter ranges — especially the filter cutoffs — are really different from the hardware, so I've always had to tweak everything by ear when trying to copy patches from my MS-20 Mini. Trying to match knob positions doesn't work at all. In most cases I've been able to get the plugin to sound really close to the hardware; it just takes time (quite a bit of time, in some cases).

My early impression is it's a bit easier to copy patches from the hardware to the Arturia MS-20. I was able to copy my current patch without too much trouble.

I believe you can save banks in Korg's plugins. It's hard to find the command for it. Their plugins have some significant usability problems, and unfortunately each one is made by a different team, so they aren't even consistent. Korg needs some serious help in the UI department.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”