u-he - The Performance Update (M1 support & more)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

I just build a PC with an i5 12600k and just for fun ran some test. Using Diva in Divine quality, an arp preset with 12 polyphony, I got to 80 and still no crackles

So i thought maybe the patch was too simple, so i loaded a diversity of patches, pads, bass lines, arps and so on. 10 in total, I duplicated the tracks and got to 30 and still no crackles, I still can get a few more but the next couple of tracks playing pads bring the CPU to full in some parts, so 30 tracks I would say were run comfortably.

This was a 256 samples for the buffer, 44.1 khz sample rate, windows 11, RME fireface UC.

I could run 30 tracks at 128 at around 10% more CPU use but when i switch windows audio stutters hard .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dedication to flying

When the new Uhbik and Filterscape updates come out, will they be free updates from the current versions or paid updates? I don’t already have them so I’m wondering If I bought them today will I get the updates free?

Also, I’m on a M1 Max. Will the current versions run ok through Rosetta on a M1?

I downloaded both Ubhik2.0 Alpha and Filterscape to demo. After a few hours of tweaking with both, I had no issues using Ubhik2.0 via Rosetta but Filterscape was being a bit buggy.

Also, I read on another thread that Ubhik 2 will be a free update but when it comes out the price will rise from 149 to 199. Because it’s working well through Rosetta, is gonna be upgraded M1 native, has that typical Uhe quality, and I can save that $50 now, I went ahead and bought it.

Now I own every Uhe product accept Filterscape as I have no desire for it in its current form. When it gets a proper (and m1 stable) update I’ll definitely snatch it up. I’ve become quite the Uhe fan boy as of late. So much so that I might start looking at their Eurorack modules.

blue monk wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:18 pm
cadiz wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:43 am
So Mac Studio (M1 Max) performance is the same as MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max performance (14 or 16 inch)
The cooling is different the 14 versus 16 inch MacBook Pro and of course different to the Mac Studio.
According to a youtube video, the Mac Studio with M1 Max CPU does in some cases speed throttle later than MacBooks, thus would have a slight advantage.
However, the Mac Studio is allegedly never really silent whereas MacBooks and Mac mini are.
The Mac mini from late 2012 with 4 CPU cores has the habit of blasting the fans to annoying levels regularly. The alleged constant noise* of the Mac Studio with M1 Max could potentially be on a level that owners of Intel Macs will find negligible, not sure.

*I haven't heard it myself, M1 Ultra has a different cooling system and may or may not be constantly audible like the Mac Studio with M1 Max.
I have the Mac Studio with M1 Ultra. It sits directly under my monitor currently. To date I’ve never heard the fan, even during bounces of 90 minute podcasts or heavy 100+ track sessions running at 96 kHz. Whereas to the left of it sits my 2019 MacBook Pro where the fan gets obnoxiously loud during a zoom call or a YouTube browser tab!

Hi, I've tried Uhbik v131.3899 as audio unit on M1 Pro Max and it doesn't work very well. Many plugins are "sluggish", sound is often very late. Any workaround while waiting for the M1 native version?

spinlud wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:56 pm Hi, I've tried Uhbik v131.3899 as audio unit on M1 Pro Max and it doesn't work very well. Many plugins are "sluggish", sound is often very late. Any workaround while waiting for the M1 native version?
Uhbik currently isn't officially compatible to the latest versions of macOS.
Especially the AU version will exhibit some quirks, since Apple changed AU related things a couple of times in the past years.
If you can, try using the VST2 (not the VST3) version.
The sluggish GUI was introduced with macOS Mojave. We already fixed that. But Uhbik, of course, doesn't have the fix implemented yet.
You can try to change your display's colour profile to sRGBIEC61966-2.1 as a workaround.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

superscan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:50 pm
blue monk wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:18 pm
cadiz wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:43 am
So Mac Studio (M1 Max) performance is the same as MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max performance (14 or 16 inch)
The cooling is different the 14 versus 16 inch MacBook Pro and of course different to the Mac Studio.
According to a youtube video, the Mac Studio with M1 Max CPU does in some cases speed throttle later than MacBooks, thus would have a slight advantage.
However, the Mac Studio is allegedly never really silent whereas MacBooks and Mac mini are.
The Mac mini from late 2012 with 4 CPU cores has the habit of blasting the fans to annoying levels regularly. The alleged constant noise* of the Mac Studio with M1 Max could potentially be on a level that owners of Intel Macs will find negligible, not sure.

*I haven't heard it myself, M1 Ultra has a different cooling system and may or may not be constantly audible like the Mac Studio with M1 Max.
I have the Mac Studio with M1 Ultra. It sits directly under my monitor currently. To date I’ve never heard the fan, even during bounces of 90 minute podcasts or heavy 100+ track sessions running at 96 kHz. Whereas to the left of it sits my 2019 MacBook Pro where the fan gets obnoxiously loud during a zoom call or a YouTube browser tab!
The comparison of recent Macs with Macs with Intel CPUs is less interesting to me. The alternative for me is the current Mac mini or MacBook Pro

any word on TyrellN6 update? this is such a great synth, actually my main synth VST and I need it M1 native asap. please please please Urs and the team!

As already mentioned in my reply to your support request, we have some plans, but currently neither the time nor the resources for this. An update including Silicon support might come, but we can't estimate when it will happen.

Does U-he recommend these current updates to users still using older Mac hardware (2013 MP trash can) and o.s. (mojave) or stay where you are at ? Danke

Yes, of course, as long as you meet the system requirements, a CPU with SSE4.2 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite or newer.
We always include improvements and bug fixes that apply to all platforms in every update.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:37 pm Yes, of course, as long as you meet the system requirements, a CPU with SSE4.2 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite or newer.
We always include improvements and bug fixes that apply to all platforms in every update.
Thank you. How can I tell if my mac is SSE4.2 ?

BSB wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:06 pm
tasmaniandevil wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:37 pm Yes, of course, as long as you meet the system requirements, a CPU with SSE4.2 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite or newer.
Thank you. How can I tell if my mac is SSE4.2 ?
The update was developed on a trash can. You'll be fine.

The update was developed on a trash can. You'll be fine.
Cheers Urs, hope you and the team are well. Finally getting an itch again.

BSB wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:06 pm Thank you. How can I tell if my mac is SSE4.2 ?
SSE4.2 was introduced around 2009, any newer Mac should generally be fine, even some from 2009 already have it.
On an Intel powered Mac you can enter this line in the Terminal app to check the CPU features:

Code: Select all

sysctl machdep.cpu.features

Return to “u-he”