Trackspacer (Wavesfactory) alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

plato1123 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:05 am I frickin adore TrackSpacer VST, what a great plugin... but after reading this thread I tried SmartComp and wow I think it might even be better than TrackSpacer. I can basically play two synths/instruments in exactly the same frequency range and somehow magically they are both intelligible and clear. Totally blown away.
Did you put SmartComp on just one of the tracks, or both? How might soothe2 compare in this respect?

sambaji wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:57 pm
shibs wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:25 am
fese wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:52 pm
psynical wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:06 am Why can't you use Trackspacer?
I'll never understand these threads where people ask for alternatives to x, but don't mention why they can't use x in the first place. If you want help finding something, it's usually a good idea to list your requirements.
My first thought, too. What is wrong with Trackspacer? It absolutely works as designed and you can get it for 30 to 40 bucks in a sale.
Trackspacer would've been a killer app if it had a) lookahead - to be able to carve space in time and not deal with the delay in catching up b) multiple band selection
I own trackspacer, but end up using other mechanisms/tools for that 2-3 ms early action..
I think these are the reasons ppl look for alternatives...
I agree. Trackspacer lacks two important features for high-end mixing/mastering to minimize artifacts (distortion) from aliasing and quick attack times: look-a-head feature and at least 4x upsampling. I tested a sweep tone with additional harmonics with Trackspacer, while sidechaining it with the same tone, and there was very audible aliasing in the upper frequencies at fairly moderate settings (30% ratio, 1.2ms Attack, and 31ms Release). Until Trackspacer has oversampling and a look-a-head function, I wouldn't use it on upper-frequency harmonically rich content. While zero-latency is great for tracking, be wary of zero latency with plugins that introduce saturation/distortion such as compressors, including dynamic EQs, and saturators for mixdowns and mastering: look-a-head and oversampling options require latency. In other words, I would use dynamic EQ such as TDR Nova GE over Trackspacer for my ducking/side-chaining purposes. But, don't take my amateur word for it (perhaps my testing procedure was faulty), check it out for free with a tone generator such as Melda's free Moscillator (select a preset with additional harmonics. I used Pop 3 Bass) and a spectrum analyzer such as the free Span vst so you can see the aliasing. Some may not mind aliasing, but being a purest when it comes to audio, I want maximum transparency unless I am intentionally choosing to add character/coloration to a sound.
Is the aliasing at an audible level?

Most if not all the audible aliasing is the artifact of the Moscilator plugin, not Trackspacer. I am going to delete my original post until I am able to test Trackspacer properly with a different oscillator that has oversampling. My bad.

sambaji wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:52 am Most if not all the audible aliasing is the artifact of the Moscilator plugin, not Trackspacer. I am going to delete my original post until I am able to test Trackspacer properly with a different oscillator that has oversampling. My bad.
I thought all Melda plugins can be oversampled to x1024

GusGranite wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:20 am
sambaji wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:52 am Most if not all the audible aliasing is the artifact of the Moscilator plugin, not Trackspacer. I am going to delete my original post until I am able to test Trackspacer properly with a different oscillator that has oversampling. My bad.
I thought all Melda plugins can be oversampled to x1024
Not the free ones I use. That's probably for the paid versions.

Oversampling doesn't require latency, it only requires latency if AA filter is linear phase. If it's minimal phase (like it's optional on Voxengo plugins), then the latency can be 0.

The OP drops a post asking for alternatives to an excellent plugin with no mention of why, replies once, then never returns again. :hihi: God I love KVR.

Russell Grand wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 am The OP drops a post asking for alternatives to an excellent plugin with no mention of why, replies once, then never returns again. :hihi: God I love KVR.
Just you wait. By the 6th page we'll all be listing our favourite transient designers :lol:

Russell Grand wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 am The OP drops a post asking for alternatives to an excellent plugin with no mention of why, replies once, then never returns again. :hihi: God I love KVR.
"xx alternatives" is a common googling, so naming threads that, makes sense, and can provide others with lot of information when they are looking for something.
In this case, what the trackspacer does is so specific, so it doesn't matter if the original poster doesn't say why, most suggested alternatives will be suggested, because they does what trackspacer does, typically though one would not get a meaningful reply asking such a general question, but others reading the thread might, as they see the discussion and can often from the replies find the information they need, and in that case if the original poster asks for specific reasons, the thread typically isn't a beneficial for others, with other specific reasons for looking for an alternative.
Sure if the original post is updated with the different alternatives, and possibly links to the first mention in the thread (so that readers wanting to understand that alternative can read from that point in the thread), it would be even more useful.

Baby audio smooth operator does something similar, I don't think that has been mentioned in this specific thread (can't keep up, as I read a couple of threads).
I found this thread googling, I think this was the first one I found that mentioned Sonible Smart:comp as an alternative. Others have mentioned soothe and DSEQ, and the Melda plugin, just as seen in this one.

Personally, why I would be looking for alternatives, because Trackspacer isn't complete in it's feature-set as a dynamic sidechain EQ, it may no longer be the best sounding as it used to be when there pretty much were no alternatives, and while trackspacer still has the lowest list price from the alternatives I have seen some others have other functions that may make them worth their higher asking prices, if they do those features well enough and is at least as good as trackspacer in their dynamic sidechain EQ function. Specific software for a specific task is sometimes great, but in the case of trackspacer it isn't as simple to use as one might think, it still requires understanding the software and get one's head around how it works best, the developer could either make it even simpler, of include more features (either adding additional functions, or make it more complex for doing the task it was designed for).

What version of track spacer is W F on these days?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

JonHolstein wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:02 am
"xx alternatives" is a common googling, so naming threads that, makes sense, and can provide others with lot of information when they are looking for something.
In this case, what the trackspacer does is so specific, so it doesn't matter if the original poster doesn't say why, most suggested alternatives will be suggested, because they does what trackspacer does, typically though one would not get a meaningful reply asking such a general question, but others reading the thread might, as they see the discussion and can often from the replies find the information they need, and in that case if the original poster asks for specific reasons, the thread typically isn't a beneficial for others, with other specific reasons for looking for an alternative.
Sure if the original post is updated with the different alternatives, and possibly links to the first mention in the thread (so that readers wanting to understand that alternative can read from that point in the thread), it would be even more useful.

Baby audio smooth operator does something similar, I don't think that has been mentioned in this specific thread (can't keep up, as I read a couple of threads).
I found this thread googling, I think this was the first one I found that mentioned Sonible Smart:comp as an alternative. Others have mentioned soothe and DSEQ, and the Melda plugin, just as seen in this one.

Personally, why I would be looking for alternatives, because Trackspacer isn't complete in it's feature-set as a dynamic sidechain EQ, it may no longer be the best sounding as it used to be when there pretty much were no alternatives, and while trackspacer still has the lowest list price from the alternatives I have seen some others have other functions that may make them worth their higher asking prices, if they do those features well enough and is at least as good as trackspacer in their dynamic sidechain EQ function. Specific software for a specific task is sometimes great, but in the case of trackspacer it isn't as simple to use as one might think, it still requires understanding the software and get one's head around how it works best, the developer could either make it even simpler, of include more features (either adding additional functions, or make it more complex for doing the task it was designed for).

Trackspacer is multiband dynamics, not EQ. Most others are FFT/EQ.

Iirc gullfoss is also mb dynamics

I find the release time of Smooth Operator a bit slow to work as well as Trackspacer for ducking frequencies. The effect tends to be more noticeable.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

I got this cos everyone was hyped about it but I don't use it, I found ducking more natural and effective. If there's too much stuff in the mix, trackspacer just mutes everything all the time. So yeah, not good for me. I also think analog summed mix with tube or transformers bring the same kind of separation more naturally without having to do crazy dynamic eqing.
To attenuate just one or a couple bands, you can simply use proQ or Nova for instance.

Bulbizarre wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:39 pm I got this cos everyone was hyped about it but I don't use it, I found ducking more natural and effective. If there's too much stuff in the mix, trackspacer just mutes everything all the time. So yeah, not good for me. I also think analog summed mix with tube or transformers bring the same kind of separation more naturally without having to do crazy dynamic eqing.
To attenuate just one or a couple bands, you can simply use proQ or Nova for instance.
Was with you until analog summing nonsense

I've tried a few of the above, but not Smart:Comp. I've never felt like Trackspacer is inadequate in any way though, so I won't go looking for alternatives until I have reason to.

Just saying, since I saw people talk about its attack time. Probably most know this already, but the little circle at the bottom right of the graph opens some other parameters, one of which being attack time. It goes to a tenth of a millisecond, which should be fast enough for anything, and going faster would definitely get into clicky poppy territory.
I do agree that a lookahead function seems like a good idea though. But it's definitely just an idea, my ears haven't ever told me I need one.
Last edited by Andreya_Autumn on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”