OB-Xtreme Version 2 - FULL VERSION RELEASED!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xtreme

machinesworking wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:39 pmI'm perfectly happy the "emulation" goes beyond the original.
This is what I don't get. An 'emulation' is meant to be just that, it 'emulates' the original. My take on it, is to be able to afford a software version of a hardware synth, because the hardware prices are probably out of reach of people like you and me. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not what it says it is. But if additional features are welcomed, then fair enough.

Here's a thought - I wonder what the 1st ever 'emulation' was? Answers on a postcard.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Why does an emulation have to be nothing more than a slavish copy of the original? Why can't it be something more and better? I see no point at all in a 1:1 clone, I much prefer something that invokes the spirit of the original but goes further. OB-Xtreme, for example, emulates the voice card set-up of the OBs and it emulates the oscillator and filter set-up of the OBs. Isn't that enough to earn the description "emulation".
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:14 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:39 pmI'm perfectly happy the "emulation" goes beyond the original.
This is what I don't get. An 'emulation' is meant to be just that, it 'emulates' the original. My take on it, is to be able to afford a software version of a hardware synth, because the hardware prices are probably out of reach of people like you and me. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not what it says it is. But if additional features are welcomed, then fair enough.

Here's a thought - I wonder what the 1st ever 'emulation' was? Answers on a postcard.
Engage in this thought experiment: what VST emulation is truly a 100% emulation of the original hardware? Which doesn't expand on the hardware in some way? First, VSTi offers patch recall, which many vintage synths didn't. Many "emulations" add FX, additional modulation options, additional controls, MPE, etc. I legitimately don't think there is a single VST emulation that doesn't go beyond the original in some way. So then ask yourself: well, where's the line then?

I'm 100% ok with a product saying "we took the classic synth as the basis for emulation, then added [insert list of features]" because literally every software we'd call an "emulation" that I can think of did that in some way shape or form.

And as I said in my original post before anyone else digs me out: But if additional features are welcomed, then fair enough.
Try reading what I said before going on a diatribe :dog:

Bones and funkybot's evil twin nailed it. Emulations aren't 100% accurate anyway, so adding in things that enhance the experience in no way takes away from the emulation. Diva lets you mix and match modules, adds in all kinds of modulation and a few FX, Repro-1 has foldback distortions and FX, same with every Arturia plug in.

I'm absolutely sure you can get some realistic OB-X sounds out of OB-Xtreme, but not all sounds. Just like every other emulation of hardware out there. You can also get the sort of beefed up sounds that people would achieve in a studio with the OBX. It's $50, and frankly sounds much much better than most of the emulations out there.
ramseysounds wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:14 pm This is what I don't get. An 'emulation' is meant to be just that, it 'emulates' the original. My take on it, is to be able to afford a software version of a hardware synth, because the hardware prices are probably out of reach of people like you and me. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not what it says it is. But if additional features are welcomed, then fair enough.]
It's exactly what is says it is, OB XTREME what's hard to figure out about that? and honestly your self serving attempt to excuse your reply from criticism is silly, you flatly ask here why the emulation goes farther then attempt to backpedal, then get frustrated people comment on the post??? I'll raise your :dog: by a :nutter:

The demos sound excellent and definitely have a very Oberheim flavor to them, but even more beefed up. May have to grab this one. I feel like I've got oberheim overload though now with Obsession, OP-X Pro, bx_oberhausen and the arturia ones. But damn does it sound good. I guess no demo yet eh? Sorry didn't follow thread.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:15 am The demos sound excellent and definitely have a very Oberheim flavor to them, but even more beefed up. May have to grab this one. I feel like I've got oberheim overload though now with Obsession, OP-X Pro, bx_oberhausen and the arturia ones. But damn does it sound good. I guess no demo yet eh? Sorry didn't follow thread.
Right now it's just pre-release version for people that were really excited about the demos. Full release comes out soon and will have extra features, I'm unsure about demo status. The ore release version sounds awesome though, and unlike my other softsynths. Modern softsynths kinda sound a bit samey to me like people are referencing the same white papers for their code. This is distinctly different IMO, but it's not something that you can use for every type of sound. It's a sweet spot synth, but when it's sweet it's REALLY sweet.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 pmyour self serving attempt to excuse your reply from criticism is silly, you flatly ask here why the emulation goes farther then attempt to backpedal, then get frustrated people comment on the post??? I'll raise your :dog: by a :nutter:
Try reading what I actually said. Now gfy

I'm still waiting for my email. Excitement is definitely building.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

ramseysounds wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:29 am
machinesworking wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 pmyour self serving attempt to excuse your reply from criticism is silly, you flatly ask here why the emulation goes farther then attempt to backpedal, then get frustrated people comment on the post??? I'll raise your :dog: by a :nutter:
Try reading what I actually said. Now gfy
Try making a coherent argument, then people won't have any reason to reply to your scattered posts. You literally contradict yourself in the part I quoted, it's just rambling, and you're now "upset" that people reacted.

OB-Xtreme is exactly what it says it is, that you don't understand is no ones fault but yours. :nutter:

Wouldn't be surprised if no one has the update yet. I think he's buying himself more time with that updated delivery date range so I expect it no earlier than the 9th. I know 3 other guys who are still waiting for their email. I'm still waiting for mine. If it's delayed (again) just let us know, man.

Yeah, it's no problem at all, really. I'd rather he took his time and got it perfectly right, rather than rush it out the door to keep to a schedule. Aly is just trying to keep people happy. He takes a lot of the criticism to heart so he needs to know that we're all happy to wait until he's ready, that there is no need for anyone to stress about it.

I'm in no hurry Aly.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

a VST version for OSX would be an instabuy. Sounds f**king brutal though, on the to buy list for sure.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”