Blue Cat Audio Axiom V2 Released: Redefining Amp Simulation?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I regard Axiom as a well-designed sound manipulation laboratory.

A guitar is an instrument that can be used as a sound source, and indeed, guitars are the instrument examples used for this sound laboratory. Now this laboratory is not based on actual, specific guitar amplifiers in detail, nor on the detailed physics of cabinets, but the laboratory is based on the principles of sound manipulations in guitar amplifiers, cabinets, and related components including pickups and effects, set in the digital realm.

In principle, a guitar amplifier uses a series of stages, alternating between nonlinear and linear processes; a cabinet uses almost exclusively linear stages with some exceptions. Axiom provides these kinds of structures and more for exploration.

Alternative amp sims and modelling amps are less set up as laboratories, in my opinion based on my own lab experiences. In my opinion, Axiom is very well organized and has easy access to all the necessary tools for performing experiments, which I regard as the raison d’être of Axiom. (N'est-ce pas?)

For those who wish to explore actual amplifiers in detail, you are quite restricted as to what you can do. You can build actual amplifiers. You can simulate them in circuit simulators. You can build your own programs from scratch. You can read books and articles. That seems to be about it, and here again things are not set up to resemble a well-designed laboratory.

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:56 pm I wonder if a slope control would help in this regard. It seemed to me like the slope was really drastic, and if I could nudge it down and change the slope it would be better. Effectively I was doing that using the EQ, but that’s more of a rigamarole than I’m used to when there’s a tone knob there.
The slope depends on the amp model. You can change it by opening the amp editor and expand the post filter (see the "insane" mode is our Axiom level of details tutorial)
Manual? Pfft! :lol: I like to approach any software without a manual at first to see how intuitive it is. I’ve been using music software since the early 90s, so I feel like if something like a guitar amp simulation software isn’t intuitive, something’s gone awry. Most of Axiom is actually easy to understand. That part just seemed sort of confusing, but I guess I just need to RTFM.
Well it's a different take at how to simulate the tone and feel of a real amp, without actually using the same structure and issues that you find in the real world. So if you want to dig into the details, reading the manual or checking the tutorials and demos to understand the philosophy may help. If you build your tone with the higher level tools provided by Axiom, the manual should indeed not be necessary.
I think when you use an amp look and name it sort of sets up some expectation. I tried one of your competitor’s products last week and I had a hard time getting their “Blackface” to sound clean, and I was all, “WTF?” If they just named it something else I might not have been so confused as to why it didn’t sound like a vintage Fender. I think Native Instruments does this right when they name things “Fire Breather.” I get a sense of what that amp might sound like but not expect it to mimic anything specific.
Yes that's why most amp models in Axiom have names that differ from the originals that inspired them. Some of them are actually original creations of amps that do not exist in the physical world. But visual cues may help finding your way thru the numerous models available.

DaveClark wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:17 pm I regard Axiom as a well-designed sound manipulation laboratory.

A guitar is an instrument that can be used as a sound source, and indeed, guitars are the instrument examples used for this sound laboratory. Now this laboratory is not based on actual, specific guitar amplifiers in detail, nor on the detailed physics of cabinets, but the laboratory is based on the principles of sound manipulations in guitar amplifiers, cabinets, and related components including pickups and effects, set in the digital realm.

In principle, a guitar amplifier uses a series of stages, alternating between nonlinear and linear processes; a cabinet uses almost exclusively linear stages with some exceptions. Axiom provides these kinds of structures and more for exploration.

Alternative amp sims and modelling amps are less set up as laboratories, in my opinion based on my own lab experiences. In my opinion, Axiom is very well organized and has easy access to all the necessary tools for performing experiments, which I regard as the raison d’être of Axiom. (N'est-ce pas?)

For those who wish to explore actual amplifiers in detail, you are quite restricted as to what you can do. You can build actual amplifiers. You can simulate them in circuit simulators. You can build your own programs from scratch. You can read books and articles. That seems to be about it, and here again things are not set up to resemble a well-designed laboratory.
It seems you've really grasped the underlying philosophy of Axiom. While its primary goal is to achieve authentic guitar tones, it offers a unique array of tools that go beyond the capabilities of conventional simulations.

That's why I believe "amp simulation" doesn't entirely do justice to what Axiom offers. Personally, I'd prefer to label it as a "guitar tone crafting tool", if that makes sense!

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:55 pm That's why I believe "amp simulation" doesn't entirely do justice to what Axiom offers. Personally, I'd prefer to label it as a "guitar tone crafting tool", if that makes sense!
Yes, totally makes sense.

Yeah, maybe it’s best to lose the term “simulation,” and just call it a “Software Guitar Amp and Effects System.”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:54 pm Yeah, maybe it’s best to lose the term “simulation,” and just call it a “Software Guitar Amp and Effects System.”
Well, it actually simulates the tone and typical response you'd get from an amplifier. It's just that it does not pretend to emulate existing gear or the way you would construct and utilize it in the real world. :-)

It may be a good idea to include the relevent bits of the Destructor manual in the Axiom manual for the folks like me who don't own Destructor. I went looking for the info in the Axiom manual, because that's the product I'm using, and it wasn't there. Just a suggestion.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:50 pm It may be a good idea to include the relevent bits of the Destructor manual in the Axiom manual for the folks like me who don't own Destructor. I went looking for the info in the Axiom manual, because that's the product I'm using, and it wasn't there. Just a suggestion.
The Destructor manual is actually accessible from Axiom too (clicking on the "?" icon in the amp editor). There should also be a reference to it in the Axiom manual (I'll have to double check...).

Here is another episode of our "Rig of the Day" series, with a Gibson SG this time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roulz9d533s

Return to “Guitars”